Urgent -- Possible lost tourist card after border run??

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

burgler099

Urgent -- Possible lost tourist card after border run??

Post by burgler099 » Fri May 30, 2014 8:06 am

Hey guys, I made a border run about a month ago and now it is finally my time to head back to the US. I am a little nervous right now because when I crossed into Mendoza I was given the paper at the border and when I crossed they took all of my papers.

I have my original tourist card from when I arrived in the airport, but I don't have any paper documentation that I went to Mendoza. Do I have to go to the PDI and request any paperwork? I have stamps in my passport, is that enough information to show that I crossed the border? I cannot afford to miss any flights.

ExpatBob

Re: Urgent -- Possible lost tourist card after border run??

Post by ExpatBob » Fri May 30, 2014 12:38 pm

Usually you will be fine if you just fill out another blank form at the airport before the passport checks. Barring that, the PDI have a booth in the same room and can help you out if the guy in the glass box tells you to get lost. Just give it another 15-30 minutes to be on the safe side so you can go through the rat maze a second time. They are totally used to clueless gringos who lose the little white paper.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Fri May 30, 2014 1:11 pm

If you want to be 100% sure, you can get a copy from the PDI. I THINK it's $800, and I THINK it's called certificado de viaje.

http://www.chileatiende.cl/fichas/ver/1792

http://www.allchile.net/chileforum/topic10400.html

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri May 30, 2014 4:06 pm

they have got a lot more relaxed on this requirement lately, they simply give you another card and you fill it in! mainly because they are moving towards a electronic system!

as you go into the pdi area there are forms waiting, even if its a entry card, or exit card, fill it in prior to the guy, make his life easy then they really dont care! if you cant find htem, he has them in his booth, if he is anal, he will do what bob said and send you to the PDI counter to sort it out (usually on super busy days)...

Get your self to the front of the check in line... (this is about 1 hour before the desk opens on american sometimes), if your flying lan the wait is less... if our flying american but its a code share lan flight, it should also be a check in on the lan desk, not american! (i have never flown the route, just droped off my better half a number of times or it)

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri May 30, 2014 4:10 pm

zer0nz wrote: if our flying american but its a code share lan flight, it should also be a check in on the lan desk, not american! (i have never flown the route, just droped off my better half a number of times or it)
Something must have changed, it has always been checkin at the operating carrier only in the past.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri May 30, 2014 4:12 pm

BTW, in my 10 years on rotating tourist visas, I never once lost my Chile tourist card!
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Fri May 30, 2014 5:38 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
zer0nz wrote: if our flying american but its a code share lan flight, it should also be a check in on the lan desk, not american! (i have never flown the route, just droped off my better half a number of times or it)
Something must have changed, it has always been checkin at the operating carrier only in the past.
That's what we thought the line for american was out the door asked at the front of the queue they sent us down to the lan desk! Straight through! This was at Xmas!

I would recommend people check first rather than waiting in long queues! Cause I could be wrong!

Edit I think I wrote it wrong hence the confusion

Aa ticket on lan plane is what we had!

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Fri May 30, 2014 6:34 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:BTW, in my 10 years on rotating tourist visas, I never once lost my Chile tourist card!
As we discussed in a thread a while back, I have never had, nor been asked for one till I had to extend the 90 days. Been back and forwards as a tourist from australia since 2000.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sat May 31, 2014 6:41 pm

If you want to be certain go to the PDI office (Eleuterio Ramirez 852, Santiago) first thing on Monday before the crowds get there, and I noticed, the bit where you select your waiting number, there is a table piled high with spare tourist visas to be filled in, not sure if there is a cost. They are always friendly and helpful in this new building so far. :!: