Auto multas

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

charlescellist

Auto multas

Post by charlescellist » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:21 am

So I made a rookie mistake...

I bought a car in Santiago. When I asked the dealer if there were any fines on it he said no. After the sale, when I actually checked, I found this:

Juzgado Policía Local Rol Causa
4 JPL SANTIAGO D12176 - 2012

How do I find out the value of this fine, where do I go to pay it, and is it really my responsibility?

Also I'm moving to Brazil in a couple of months. Would it be better to sell the vehicle as is or pay off the fine first?

amanaplan

Re: Auto multas

Post by amanaplan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:54 pm

amanaplan

Post by amanaplan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:26 pm

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:14 am

I believe you can pay a fine anywhere in Chile. If you wish to argue your case, then you have to go to the issuing juzgado.

ryanar

Post by ryanar » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:50 am

My experience is that you can only pay the fine directly in the 'city' where you committed the infringement (i.e. my parking ticket somehow acquired in Calama and no paperwork/advice attached to the car in any way), otherwise it is a long and convoluted process of organising and waiting for the paperwork to turn up so you can pay it from where you are (i.e. Copiapo).

I discovered the multa when I was in the process of selling my car. The purchaser was good enough to say for me not to worry about it and they would sort it out (they got a good deal on the vehicle because I was leaving Chile).

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:25 pm

You don't have to go to the comuna where you got the ticket. Lots of people get tickets on summer holiday. The process takes longer because they have to send your license back to your local juzgado. Not valid for accidents where someone is injured.
http://www.chileatiende.cl/fichas/ver/14776

charlescellist

Post by charlescellist » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:39 pm

Will head to the Juzgado monday and see what happens

Just to clear things up, the fine is from 2012, two years before I bought the vehicle!

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:40 pm

charlescellist wrote:Will head to the Juzgado monday and see what happens

Just to clear things up, the fine is from 2012, two years before I bought the vehicle!
Must have been one without retention of the driver's license so. Probably a parking ticket. Hope all goes well.