Fighting the insurance premium increase in court?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

scandinavian

Re: Fighting the insurance premium increase in court?

Post by scandinavian » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:38 am

41southchile wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:08 am
So I saw this today https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... apres.html
And wondered if there is a any threads on isapres, and what do you know there is. (And nothing has changed in 6 yrs)
They are trying to go them this year for collusion, which wouldn't surprise me to be honest, I m used to the regular increases, although it still confuses me as to why they need such regular increases if the premiums are in UF, which supposedly is to hedge against inflation, (if that's the right way to put it.)
Point is my plan is going up another .4 UF or over 10000 pesos , which is about the 4th yr in a row. Over 120000 per yr increase this year.
Isapres are making , and have been making grossly insane profits over the last few years . They may have pushed too much this time, might be time for some regulation. I know healthcare is expensive but it's starting to look like Isapres have had it too good for too long.(or let's see who revives this thread in 2025 and realises nothing changed)
There are a lot of law firms out there that will handle your case free of charge. Seems it is all they do... I haven't try personally as this is the first time in years where my Isapre (Banmedica) has raised prices.

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:55 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:47 am
one of the companies reportedly had a 94% profit margin last year, while jacking up rates on users.
can you provide the source on that? just interested because the articles that I have been reading say that the letters sent out to subscribers claim that the isapres are operating at a loss. not that i actually believe that crock, but it would be interesting to understand which company blatantly lied.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:01 pm

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:01 pm

snobrd4life wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:55 pm
admin wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:47 am
one of the companies reportedly had a 94% profit margin last year, while jacking up rates on users.
can you provide the source on that? just interested because the articles that I have been reading say that the letters sent out to subscribers claim that the isapres are operating at a loss. not that i actually believe that crock, but it would be interesting to understand which company blatantly lied.
don't know. i was not that interested in the article; but, insurance companies are like brothels and liquor stores. when was the last time you heard of one going bankrupt?

it might happen once in while, but not very often. also like brothels and liquor stores, they like to keep a low profile from regulators and public scrutiny.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:59 am

this is rich, literally:

https://www.df.cl/noticias/empresas/ind ... 84517.html

so the insurance companies are crying about their legal bill, estimating 1 / 3 of the cost of raising their rates was taken by attorneys, or 150 million dollars a year (i got my doubts about that number).

but, cry me a frigen river.

they engaged in an illegal rate increase. consumers in chile with the help of attorneys across chile challenged that, and they lost. repeatedly, and they continued doing it as an industry. how about the 2/3 of that money, YOU STOLE FROM THE PEOPLE THAT DID NOT CHALLENGE IT!!!!!

Better yet, how many people did not get insured because of this or dropped their insurance?

that is like a drug dealer complaining about their legal bills being too high, or the auto industry that decides not to fix a dangerious problem because it is statisticaly cheaper to just let people die and pay to settle the cases.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.