FOREIGNERS: STOP TREATING REAL ESTATE LAW IN CHILE LIKE YOUR LAW!!!!

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

FOREIGNERS: STOP TREATING REAL ESTATE LAW IN CHILE LIKE YOUR LAW!!!!

Post by admin » Tue May 11, 2021 6:00 pm

OMG, I have had more calls over the last couple weeks with foreigners, with (especially) Americans, thinking that they can do real estate transactions in Chile is done just like they do in the United States, or wherever they come from.

WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU THINK THAT????

CHILE IS A DIFFERENT LEGAL SYSTEM!!!!!

CHILE IS FOREIGN COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!

CHILE IS A SOVEREIGN COUNTRY!!!!!!!!

It is really strange, and seems to be really really common right now.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Re: FOREIGNERS: STOP TREATING REAL ESTATE LAW IN CHILE LIKE YOUR LAW!!!!

Post by tiagoabner » Tue May 11, 2021 6:12 pm

OK, now I'm curious. Do you have any crazy stories to share?
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue May 11, 2021 6:32 pm

Maybe time to do some Google searches. Must be a new article or guru or scammer out there promoting Chile.
Que será, será.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 11, 2021 7:36 pm

well, I got a million crazy stories of really crazy things gringos have done buying real estate. This is a particular "mindset", I guess.

We have fairly regularly over the years had people contact us, a bit confused about how things work, etc. We explain the differences between say the United States legal system and Chile, and generally all is fine. A few go off and do it anyway, or have already done it.

It is sort of the volume I am talking about here.

This recent bout of gringos doing this does not really have a pattern or common thread to it, other than they seem to have kind of assumed the rules are whatever they would like them to be (thus, defaulting to their home countries laws).

It just strikes me as a lot of them, all at once; and a lot of them that already made the mistakes. It is really strange.

That was my initial reaction. Some new scammer is publishing b.s. articles out on the web.

But, these do not seem to fit a pattern. Like some are decades old problems, some are more recent, and some have not even bought anything yet (still able to talk them off the ledge). Kind of spread all over the country.

The pandemic? Like people are starting to come out of hibernation, and going "hmmm, I should probably check and see if that property I bought in Chile was handled right"?

I don't know. I got nothing; other than, just don't do that.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Tue May 11, 2021 8:31 pm

Chile is doing really well in terms of percentage of population vaccinated. I would guess there's a lot of people thinking about moving out of their home countries, and the country in Latin America that has its shit together soups stick out like a store thumb.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Donnybrook2

Post by Donnybrook2 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 pm

It is probably more than one thing. To me, thinking that things work the same everywhere as they do in the USA is similar to complaining because you can't find your favourite radioactive orange "cheese" spread everywhere and not understanding why. I was watching a video of a comedian last night (from the USA) and he said the problem was that the world knows everything about the USA but the USA knows nothing about the rest of the world.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 12, 2021 7:19 am

Donnybrook2 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 pm
the world knows everything about the USA but the USA knows nothing about the rest of the world.
Love that. That is a perfect description of the problem.

I have found myself in discussions with americans online, in other forums and subjects recently, where they have said things that are so detached from the outside world, all I can say is, "as soon as this pandemic is over, get yourself a passport and go travel".

I might regret that, but I don't see any other cure.

I mean like I see this phenomena with a few other countries, but not to the level of the united states. It is understandable that people would fall back on what they know for a frame of reference, but in something as important and complex as the legal system and think they are going to be able to shove that round peg in to that square hole just by force of their own will?

There was a Dutch philosopher, in one of his last interviews before his death, was asked if there is anything that still worries him. He said, "that the other might be right".

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed May 12, 2021 7:55 am

Perhaps I have been living outside of the united states for so long I am just having trouble relating to that culture; not like I ever related well to that culture, but I at least felt I understood it.

A few weeks back, an American friend that is a fairly new arrival to Chile (like the day after, they closed the boarder for the first time) was explaining what it was like to work inside a corporation in the united states today. The "corporate culture". He was fairly high middle management, in an essential IT position. So he had pretty good visibility on the entire company's operations, top to bottom.

My moto has always been, "I own companies, I don't work for them". I would rather be poor, and my own boss; however, that was in part because I understood what went on there to some degree. however, my frame of reference on that corporate culture is like 30+ years old.

What he was describing was so alien and foreign to me it was like a planet in the twilight zone, being told to me in Chinese, with a Russian accent. I can not even reconstruct what he was describing sufficiently to tell this story properly. It was more like he was describing a dog eat dog, gulag where employees were controlled in every way by the prison guards (who are prisoners themselves), and might be arbitrarily executed at any second for the smallest infraction.

That is one I have noticed a lot among companies that contract us too in recent years, both american and European. The European companies seem to have adopted a lot of the "American way". That go, go, go, "move fast and break things" corporate start-up mentality from recent years, even if the company is not a start-up.

I get a lot strange requests or assumptions, often from attorneys in the legal departments, from companies that contract us.

Here is a common example. American and British attorneys and accountants, telling employees of the company that live in Chile, that their company (with no operations at all in Chile), will have to open another corporate subsidiary because they will have to pay taxes in Chile because the person is an employee of their company.

It is like "holy shit batman"?

What are they teaching in law school these days?

It is the strangely narrow tunnel vision of the world that strikes me as bizarre. You would think like the internet and easy global communication would have helped with that, but in some sense it seems to be making it worse. Like information overload, is pushing people to cling more and more to their "cultural silos".

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Wed May 12, 2021 9:40 am

admin wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:55 am
Here is a common example. American and British attorneys and accountants, telling employees of the company that live in Chile, that their company (with no operations at all in Chile), will have to open another corporate subsidiary because they will have to pay taxes in Chile because the person is an employee of their company.
Likely an HR policy in order to level set how to control pay/benefits for an exempt employee vs leaving everything up to the employee in a base monthly payment where the employee will administer their own benefits. The latter treats the employee as more of a contractor and less like an actual employee. Some companies/employees may be able to get on fine like this, but not all.

Maybe the cost to set up the subsidiary is cheaper in the long run if it means HR has a standard process across the globe... square peg round hole can be corporate bureaucratic mess. Cost to dremel that round hole into a square might be easier to swallow.
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

Hanshoffnung

Post by Hanshoffnung » Mon May 24, 2021 8:12 am

You mean that foreigners can or should not buy land?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 24, 2021 8:58 am

Hanshoffnung wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 8:12 am
You mean that foreigners can or should not buy land?
yea, if you are not going to follow the laws.

Hanshoffnung

Post by Hanshoffnung » Mon May 24, 2021 12:42 pm

I totally agree!