Minimum possible time in Chile to then wait for temporary periodic income visa in the US ?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Re: Minimum possible time in Chile to then wait for temporary periodic income visa in the US ?

Post by admin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:48 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:06 pm
You want residency in Chile but don’t want to live in the country??? Why??????
surprisingly more common than you would think.

10+ years ago passport shopping was all the rage for Chile. Chile managed to squash that with new regulations, but still a lot of people that really have no intention of living in Chile try to apply.

There are also a lot of people, for work or family reasons, that simply can not plop down in Chile full time. That is fair, but it also makes getting through the whole residency process almost impossible if they can not get the 180 days in. We have had for example over the years lots of people that work in IT, oil rigs, fly fishing guides, diplomatic related stuff, and all around economic mercenaries that kind of really have no permanent home anywhere.

But, for people that think they are going to apply for residency, then never return to Chile until it is time to pick-up their passport, those days are over.

There is also a whole thing around countries like pakistan, Iran, India, etc, with problematic passports that are willing to use Chile as a sort of jumping off point to other countries. Those that are serious about it, will hang around Chile sufficiently long to qualify for citizenship (5+ years); however, for every one of those, there are like 1000 people that think they can do it without ever living in Chile.

There are also plenty of shady characters on the internet willing to "help" them do it; or, at least help liberate their wallet trying to do it. I must get hundreds of "relocation" or "immigration" experts from all over the world every year wanting to do a partnership of some sort. Not happening. Invariably they got whole client list of people paying them to find them a way in to Europe or the United States via a passport from somewhere else that is a little more useful for travelling.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

jb_chile

Re: Minimum possible time in Chile to then wait for temporary periodic income visa in the US ?

Post by jb_chile » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:07 am

I want to retire in Chile at some point soon but not right now. Right now I am trying see if I can delay the 180 day stay requirement for perm residence application till temporary residency application is granted. Committing to the 6 months is easier when I know the perm residence payoff is more likely (likely less risk from immigration bureaucracy, immigration law changes, constitutional changes). Ending up in Chile temporarily is worse than useless to me.

What I am hearing is that I may be called (from the US) to immigration multiple times, most critically with less than 1 week notice. Under current rules would one be allowed a pass out of 7-10 day quarantine to go to immigration ? If not then this may end my plan right there. If I delay such a request, and yes loose my place in line, might I have the option of scheduling the new date or will it likely be done the same way: meaning another random month they will contact me and again giving me less than 1 week notice ?

My other option is to ask my US company for me to WFH in Chile but I can't even tell them it will be only 6 months (till I get the temporary residence).
I am not your doctor, lawyer, accountant, broker, financial professional or other advisor. Consider all my posts entertainment.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:49 am

Wait until next year, with proof of a vaccination you may not need to quarantine.
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:56 am

yea, wait.

In a sense you are already too late.

The new immigration law passed congress. The president has post-poned publishing it (making it law) until March (at least).

Among everything else in the law, is a vast overhaul of the internal beucracy at the department of immigration. Which means their will be lots of changes, and probably a year or two of breaking things and fixing them, before the beucratic chaos settles down.

AND, no we are not answering questions about the new law at this time.

That just results in a tsunami of hysterical phone calls and emails from people.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:29 am

we hired a new a law student / intern, that has not even really started working for us yet as she studying for the bar exam right now.

I sat down the other day to read the new immigration law. I think this version number 2 million or something. We have been chasing this law through congress, and holding meetings with various government officials, for better part of 12+ years about it.

After a few chapters of readying some of the most dull and repetive text I have seen come out of congress in a while, I turned to my wife said, "can we get the new law student to read this, and send us the bullet points"?

My wife said, "why, what did she do. Are you trying to make her quit"?

jb_chile

Post by jb_chile » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:25 am

admin wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:56 am
The new immigration law passed congress. The president has post-poned publishing it (making it law) until March (at least).
Thanks. Any guess as to some aspect of the time frame of publishing the initial regulations as opposed to the law itself ?
I am not your doctor, lawyer, accountant, broker, financial professional or other advisor. Consider all my posts entertainment.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:04 pm

jb_chile wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:25 am
admin wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:56 am
Thanks. Any guess as to some aspect of the time frame of publishing the initial regulations as opposed to the law itself ?
sometime between now, and we have all died of old age.