car accident with horse

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

hlf2888

car accident with horse

Post by hlf2888 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:37 pm

A month ago my worker was driving my car and hit a horse that ran onto the highway. He was not hurt, but sadly, the horse was killed. My car was destroyed. The police said it was the fault of the owner of the horse. They said the owner of the horse was responsible for the damage to the car or for reimbursement of the vehicle value. The horse owner had not maintained his fences.

Unlike insurance in Canada, the basic car insurance I purchased in Chile does not cover this.

At first the owner admitted it was his fault, now he is denying it. The police told my worker that the owner of the horse had to pay my legal fees if I needed a lawyer.

1) Does the owner of the horse pay my legal fees?

2) Do I wait until the judgement in the court in November and then hire a lawyer if the owner of the horse refuses to pay for my car or do I hire a lawyer now?

3) Has anyone experienced this before?

admin
Site Admin

Re: car accident with horse

Post by admin » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 am

hlf2888 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:37 pm
A month ago my worker was driving my car and hit a horse that ran onto the highway. He was not hurt, but sadly, the horse was killed. My car was destroyed. The police said it was the fault of the owner of the horse. They said the owner of the horse was responsible for the damage to the car or for reimbursement of the vehicle value. The horse owner had not maintained his fences.

Unlike insurance in Canada, the basic car insurance I purchased in Chile does not cover this.

At first the owner admitted it was his fault, now he is denying it. The police told my worker that the owner of the horse had to pay my legal fees if I needed a lawyer.

1) Does the owner of the horse pay my legal fees?

2) Do I wait until the judgement in the court in November and then hire a lawyer if the owner of the horse refuses to pay for my car or do I hire a lawyer now?

3) Has anyone experienced this before?
you have to hire a lawyer. the costs are recovered in court, if you win.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Re: car accident with horse

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:21 pm

Thank you Alexchampal5 and admin ... and admin, I am flabbergasted that you changed your spelling lol