(5th) Prórroga for Chilean Permanent Residency?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Kimberley

(5th) Prórroga for Chilean Permanent Residency?

Post by Kimberley » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi there everyone, it's been a while since I have been here and I hope everyone is safe and well. :)
When I couldn't find a clear answer online, or from the Chilean Consulate abroad, I thought that perhaps someone here may be able to provide some insight.

I'm interested to know if anyone knows (or have heard of anything) related to measures, automatic extensions, or a process for the extension of the Permanent Residency, particularly in the case that the 4 'prórrogas' have been done abroad and under normal circumstances travel to Chile would be the next normal step to keep it valid.

I had plans to visit Chile this month (August) well before the pandemic hit and to do this '5th renewal' in the country and then skip down to a friend's wedding in Argentina. Obviously the wedding in Argentina is postponed indefinitely and I prefer to avoid traveling to Chile given the current situation, globally and locally.

I note that the system of the PDI for the "Certificate of validity of definitive stay in Chile" is currently suspended due to the implementation of a new online system. I'm not sure if there is a workaround for this or when the new system will be up and running?

Any tips or hints appreciated. Thanks in advance!

admin
Site Admin

Re: (5th) Prórroga for Chilean Permanent Residency?

Post by admin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:55 pm

you are a permanent resident, you can still travel to Chile. which you were normally required to do on the 5th renewal anyway.

just plan on staying for 14 days. LOL

nope there is no change, but there is more than sufficient grounds under the constitutional exception for appeals for any of the more stupid beucratic problems.

I will have someone poke at the law to see what there is to work with, if I get a moment.

Your kind of in a very small minority of people with this problem, in an ocean of people with big broken beucratic problems right now.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:50 am

Thanks admin for your reply, I really appreciate it.

I guess I thought there would be some sort of automatic extension given the global pandemic and that the Chilean Consulate would say something along the lines of "Don't worry, given COVID-19, we don't expect you to put your health and safety at risk and travel at this time", especially when travel involves going from a population with (relatively speaking) lower levels of infection to a population with much higher infection rates. However, my local Chilean Consulate (which normally gives a very high level of service) seem to be operating on bare-bones resources at this time (offices closed to the public; recorded message directing inquires to an email; a week delay on replies).

I understand that the 5th prórroga during a pandemic is not a common situation and more common situations, such as expired cedulas, gap in residency while awaiting determinations, etc have been considered and given extensions or work-arounds like the possibility of a digital stamp.

I was also wondering what others would do if they were also in the 5th prórroga situation in countries with their travel legally restricted - I'm thinking specifically of Australia and New Zealand.

I'm also trawling through the Q&A's on the Dept. of Immigration and I've logged a ticket. I'll also post back here if I get any news - incase it also helps someone else. :)

WaterDawgHog

Post by WaterDawgHog » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:28 pm

Following. Please keep us updated. I have Chilean PR and am in the USA. I am seeking my first Prorroga because of travel complications due to the pandemic. My newborn son (Chilena Mom) cannot travel with us because we have not filed for his Chilean Nationality yet [born in USA]. I am not sure if this will fly with the consulate in Los Angeles. Any advice is appreciated.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:35 pm

Kimberley wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:50 am

I guess I thought there would be some sort of automatic extension given the global pandemic and that the Chilean Consulate would say something along the lines of "Don't worry, given COVID-19, we don't expect you to put your health and safety at risk and travel at this time", especially when travel involves going from a population with (relatively speaking) lower levels of infection to a population with much higher infection rates. However, my local Chilean Consulate (which normally gives a very high level of service) seem to be operating on bare-bones resources at this time (offices closed to the public; recorded message directing inquires to an email; a week delay on replies).

I understand that the 5th prórroga during a pandemic is not a common situation and more common situations, such as expired cedulas, gap in residency while awaiting determinations, etc have been considered and given extensions or work-arounds like the possibility of a digital stamp.

I was also wondering what others would do if they were also in the 5th prórroga situation in countries with their travel legally restricted - I'm thinking specifically of Australia and New Zealand.

I'm also trawling through the Q&A's on the Dept. of Immigration and I've logged a ticket. I'll also post back here if I get any news - incase it also helps someone else. :)
I personally would look at it with a different lens and be grateful that they allow you to live away for 4 consecutive years and still consider you to be a permanent resident. How many other countries do that? But I don't know, that's just me.

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:35 pm

Hey WaterDawg, for your first Prórroga there shouldn't be any problems. You just need to make an appointment, bring all your paperwork and indicate a reason - like for work or family reasons (although I don't know the exact list of accepted reasons). My friends just did their second prórroga in Singpore with no issues, so the process is working. For me it is a bit different because I've done the maximum four prórrogas outside Chile. Good luck and let us know if you run into any troubles!

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:39 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:35 pm
Kimberley wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:50 am

I personally would look at it with a different lens and be grateful that they allow you to live away for 4 consecutive years and still consider you to be a permanent resident. How many other countries do that? But I don't know, that's just me.

It is pretty cool. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:48 pm

we are discussing a hypothetical 5th under the emergency, and there is no 5th allowed in the law because anyone with permanent residency is required to at least travel to chile once in 5 years to keep there permanent residency. Thus, there are only 4 extensions allowed.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:58 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:48 pm
we are discussing a hypothetical 5th under the emergency, and there is no 5th allowed in the law because anyone with permanent residency is required to at least travel to chile once in 5 years to keep there permanent residency. Thus, there are only 4 extensions allowed.
Exactly. Thanks for clarifying, admin.
I am looking for an (even partial) 5th extension in light of the global pandemic/local emergency situation.