Tourist visa expiring? We have a solution.

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

admin
Site Admin

Tourist visa expiring? We have a solution.

Post by admin » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:32 pm

So, seems there are a whole lot of people in Chile that were on tourist visas that were trapped / decided to stay in chile when the boarders were closed, that now after almost 6 months will be unable to renew their tourist visa inside the country.

You are only allowed one in country renewal per year. That was not much of an issue before, as people could just pop over the boarder for lunch and renew their tourist visa. Not anymore.

yea, no one in the government thought these immigration problems through when they closed the boarder; but, oddly, that might be the most normal thing in the middle of this crisis.

Which leaves these people with a couple of options:

1. leave. However, that means you will not be allowed back in until the boarder restrictions are lifted. That very well could be sometime next year or beyond. If you have temporary residency, you can return to Chile (with 14 day quarantine of course).

I also know there are a whole lot of people that are not too interested in leaving, even if they could leave. however bad Chile is, the rest of the world is not doing much better.

2. Stay illegally and suck up the fines, that will have to be payed before you are allowed to leave the country someday. That also opens a whole can of legal worms, considering we are essentially under martial law (although a kind of a dull one). There are checkpoints for all sorts of things these days. Not a good time to be wondering around illegally in the country.

3. Apply for residency. This is where it gets complicated, as most people that are stuck here did not come prepared to immigrate, and with all the restrictions and problems in other countries, it is nearly impossible to get all the documents needed. There is also a whole lot of people stuck in the country that even under regular circumstances would not have qualified for residency.

We have a solution(s) for about 80% to 90% of these cases of "tourist" that need to turn in to temporary residents or at least regularize your immigration status.

We have been doing immigration for 15+ years in Chile, so we have pretty big beucratic "trick bag". Although, I have to admit this pandemic, and all the associated broken beucracy, has us digging pretty deep in to that "trick bag".

Please send us an email to law@spencerglobal.com

Please include the following information about your situation,

Where you are located, number of people in your family, ages, citizenship of everyone in the family.

How long have you been here, from the date of your first tourist visa. how many times you have renewed your tourist visa, and when your most recent tourist visa expires.

Tell us a little bit about your situation. what are your plans, long or short term, or any special circumstances you might have going on (e.g. one family member has to leave, everyone else is staying, ect). It helps us get ahead of any problems, if we have sort of an idea of your overall situation.

As this is a highly irregular set of circumstances, we are going to have to evaluate each situation for a strategy or custom solution one by one; but, in most cases we got something that will work. If not a "fix", we at least got a patch to keep most people legally in the country until things get back to some sort of normal (or the government realizes they got another problem).

That information should get us started. From there we might have a few more questions, as we work out the best strategy.

I will post more if I think of anything else that might be helpful.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

tiagoabner

Re: Tourist visa expiring? We have a solution.

Post by tiagoabner » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:45 pm

You might want to have this one stickied to keep it showing right at the top of the forum for improved visibility.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

VHRA

Post by VHRA » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:34 am

I was in this exact situation. I am living with my Chilean girlfriend of many years. Given that she cannot leave for Europe because of the restrictions, and my visa here was expiring, we had a problem.

My previous lawyer simply told me to eat the fines and that there would be no repercussions down the road as long as I paid them. I also received very little help from that firm in general, with poor advice that I later found out were not correct. I could take them on their word this time but I would rather not take that risk, and decided to contact Admins firm for advice.

Through my own carelessness / laziness I had also a) waited way to long to take action and b) miscalculated the day my visa would end.

From the day my payment passed and I got in contact with @Zvalenzuela we had one day to finish the application from scratch. With the help from Zandra, Maria Luisa and Ana Maria at Spencer Global I got the papers and application finished before the end of the day.

I've got nothing but positives things to say, and it makes the three different instances of immigration advice I have previously encountered (2 lawyers in the U.K and one in Chile) seem very unprofessional. Even though I put the team at Spencer Global in an extremely rushed situation, I received more attention and advice in one day than months of contact with other firms.

gardengal64

Post by gardengal64 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:38 am

This is our situation. I was wondering what kind of fines are in place for being illegally here in Chile? Hundreds or thousands per person?

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:53 am

gardengal64 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:38 am
This is our situation. I was wondering what kind of fines are in place for being illegally here in Chile? Hundreds or thousands per person?
This article from Extranjería lists the fines:

https://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/sanciones/

I would contact Admin's company, though. Trying to work your way through Chilean bureaucracy isn't an easy matter, and even more so during a pandemic.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

WORK CONTRACTS FOR IMMIGRATION IN CHILE, DON'T DO IT

Post by admin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:40 pm

I keep having people tell me they were told by somebody that they could just write them a work contract to apply for residency in Chile.

Can you apply for residency using a fake work contract?

NO!

later I will tell you why in detail.

But, the short version: IT IS A FELONY!!!!!

For both the person being "hired" and the person offering the "contract".

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:26 pm

Quick note on contacting us.

We do NOT accept first contacts through whatapp or any text messaging.

If you plug the cell phone number at the bottom of the site in to whatapp and try to contact us, I am just going to block you.

Why?

Well, we are constantly getting con-artist and human traffickers from around the World trying to use text messages. Typically at really odd hours here (i.e. they are in Africa, the middle east, India).

You need to call us or send us an email first. Once we establish there is something we can do for you, you are fully contracted and paid client, then we provide a private whatsapp account / line if you need to communicate with us for ongoing work. It is only after we have fully established your identity.

I know there is a bunch of people that will go, "well what about the encryption"?

Well, got bad news for you. No one hacks encryption. They go around the encryption. They hack your phone, your computer, etc; basically, they hack you. It is too slow and complicated to hack most types of major encryption directly. Hacking people is much easier. So, just because you have an encrypted application on your phone, does not stop people from hacking your phone or whatever. It is an extremely misleading and false sense of security.

WaterDawgHog

Post by WaterDawgHog » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:49 pm

Does anyone know if Chilean consulates abroad are giving prorogua (sp.?) Due to COVID 19 travel complications. I am on 3 rd. year old of permenant residence but now spend the majority of the year in the USA with my Chilean wife. I 'd hate to pay for the one week trip or maybe lose my PR status. My son is a duel citizen and I hate to lose my status as we plan on returning in the next 5 years.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:27 pm

WaterDawgHog wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:49 pm
Does anyone know if Chilean consulates abroad are giving prorogua (sp.?) Due to COVID 19 travel complications. I am on 3 rd. year old of permenant residence but now spend the majority of the year in the USA with my Chilean wife. I 'd hate to pay for the one week trip or maybe lose my PR status. My son is a duel citizen and I hate to lose my status as we plan on returning in the next 5 years.
you got to contact your nearest consulate.

really it is another stupid piece of beucracy that should be fully online.

we might file a petition to request they do that; but, would not recommend waiting for that to be implemented. :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:04 pm

I have been getting a lot of people contacting us recently with this dismissive attitude about just over staying their tourist visa, and that they will just pay the fine.

Under normal circumstances, yes, over staying your tourist visa is not that big of deal.

THIS IS NOT NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES!!!

Chile is under a constitutional exception (martial law). There is still a social crisis with highly controversial election coming in October. Restrictions and tensions will be increasing as we aproach the election.

so the new minister of the interior just expelled 30 people on expired tourist visas (one for threatening the president), and is warning they will expel anyone in the country under "irregular" immigration status either by administrative decree or the courts. The new minister by the way is far more right wing.

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... ilia.shtml

You really do not want to try and argue the finer points of immigration law with some 18 year old kid with an automatic weapon in the middle of the night.

Do you really think your Spanish is so good that you can pass that test in the middle of night on the side of a road?

I am actually surprised we have not had any calls yet from some foriegners sitting in jail. It is bound to happen sooner or later. probably sooner, as the second tourist visa renewals for those that were here since the boarder closure expire over the next month or two.