Do I want to be a Chilean?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

PXYC

Re: Do I want to be a Chilean?

Post by PXYC » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:05 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:15 pm
PXYC wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:08 pm
CONs having Chilean citizenship:
- if you are a citizen of Chile, you can't withdraw your AFP funds. note that retirement laws are likely to change (demographics, social crisis, political changes).

PROs on having Chilean citizenship:
- if you want to sell a house that you own, your profits will be taxed much heavier when you don't have a Chilean citizenship.

I would appreciate if contributors could keep this type of structured scheme, it is much easier to go trough a list when making a decision (I'll have to make it myself in 3 years).
just on the tax, it get's higher if you want to take money out of the country as a non-citizen; even then there are a bunch of mitigating circumstances to cut the bill.

That said, a little bit of tax is a terrible reason to make or break a decision about citizenship. perhaps a consideration, or if there is a lot of tax, but hardly a deal breaker.
Ok not necessarily the biggest con, my goal was to blindly list the pros and cons so that each person can check the ones that matter most according to personal circunstances. :wink: