Worth Getting Citizenship?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

ghibli

Re: Worth Getting Citizenship?

Post by ghibli » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:46 am

Thanks eeuunikkeiexpat. So, if I allow 2-3 months that should be very safe. Did you go to Santiago, or is there an office in San Antonio? Vina?
cheers

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:22 pm

According to a past discussion, you are supposed to use the PDI and RC where you are resident but there have been exceptions.

I did everything in hardly any lines San Antonio. If you can avoid doing it in Santiago or Valpo or other long line places, do it.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:15 pm

Great. Thanks!

paladin

Post by paladin » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:56 pm

As I have mentioned before, out of desperation I went to Talca during the chaos with Haitians in 2018. The PDI man didnt like itand said I should do it in the city where I lived. I pointed out that in the webpage , no mention is made of any such requirement, so he did the cert, but was not at all about pleasant about it.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:58 pm

The "requisitos para la reimpresión de cédula de identidad"" includes "La última cédula de identidad debe tener una vigencia de a lo menos 1 mes a su próxima fecha de expiración."

https://www.registrocivil.cl/principal/ ... a-chilenos

I think that's saying you should apply for your new one >1 month before it expires.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

paladin

Post by paladin » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:50 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:58 pm
The "requisitos para la reimpresión de cédula de identidad"" includes "La última cédula de identidad debe tener una vigencia de a lo menos 1 mes a su próxima fecha de expiración."

I think that's saying you should apply for your new one >1 month before it expires.
I think you are confusing renewing your cedula because of its expiry and getting a duplicate of an existing one

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:13 pm

I finally applied for a new one more than a month after expiration.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:07 am

I renewed mine late in December for an expiry the first days of February. You can now, theoretically, get an appointment for the PDI letter step in Santiago but you have to watch the website for appointments with the concentration usually demanded of playing Whack-a-Mole. Appointments are also available for Registro Civil and, when I did it were easier to get. Friends resident in Santiago have gone to other places in Chile while they were on holiday (Temuco, Arica) and done the whole thing there with no problem.

An expired cedula does not affect your status in the country but does affect other things (travel, most tramites).

I have never lost a cedula so no experience there.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:48 am

Here's a question for you-all. What happens if one applies for citizenship and - due to some bureaucratic snag - citizenship is not granted? Does one keep the Permanencia Definitivo? Dose one reapply and hope there are no snags the second time? I can see all the upsides: I would like to vote; I would like to have definitive documentation of my country of choice, etc etc. I just wonder about the downside. Thanks.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:01 pm

You can vote after a certain amount of time with PD as many on the forum did this past prez election unless you are saying they will take that away while still allowing non resident citizens with no tax money in the game (another Chile left ploy to expand their base) to continue voting?

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:59 pm

paladin wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:50 pm
Britkid wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:58 pm

I think you are confusing renewing your cedula because of its expiry and getting a duplicate of an existing one
Yes, I looked again and I think you are right. Sorry about that. Ignore what I said.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:15 pm

ghibli wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:48 am
Here's a question for you-all. What happens if one applies for citizenship and - due to some bureaucratic snag - citizenship is not granted? Does one keep the Permanencia Definitivo? Dose one reapply and hope there are no snags the second time? I can see all the upsides: I would like to vote; I would like to have definitive documentation of my country of choice, etc etc. I just wonder about the downside. Thanks.
you can legaly vote, and are automatically registered with 5 years of residency (including your time under temp). chile is one of the only countries i know of that does that.

your residency status is whatever it was before the last application. you can not loose your permanent residency, simply because you applied for citizenship.

the downside is beucracy, and sorry to say that you get for free with just a tourist visa.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.