Bringing in seeds

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
paty_chile

Bringing in seeds

Postby paty_chile » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:11 am

Hey everyone,

my husband (Chilean) and I (German) are planning to move to Chile in about a year and a half with our two kids. One of our main plans there is to buy a property and start a garden, more specifically we would like to grow our own food, medicinal herbs etc. From what we have found out so far (checking Viveros and talking to locals) it is not easy to get a huge variety of seeds in Chile, thus it would be much easier for us to buy seeds in Germany and then bring them in. I've researched on the SAG homepage and it seems that bringing in seeds is actually possible, but complicated. Has anyone of you ever done this and could share his or her experience with us? We would be really eager to know whether and how it works in practice. Many thanks in advance!

Paty

Milesmcc

Re: Bringing in seeds

Postby Milesmcc » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:23 pm

I have friends that are expats that farm. They don't seem to be lacking diversity their personal garden. Medicinal herbs I'm not to sure about but they do seem to grow a wide variety of crop.sorry I couldn't be more helpful about bringing seeds in

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:49 pm

paty_chile wrote:Hey everyone,

my husband (Chilean) and I (German) are planning to move to Chile in about a year and a half with our two kids. One of our main plans there is to buy a property and start a garden, more specifically we would like to grow our own food, medicinal herbs etc. From what we have found out so far (checking Viveros and talking to locals) it is not easy to get a huge variety of seeds in Chile, thus it would be much easier for us to buy seeds in Germany and then bring them in. I've researched on the SAG homepage and it seems that bringing in seeds is actually possible, but complicated. Has anyone of you ever done this and could share his or her experience with us? We would be really eager to know whether and how it works in practice. Many thanks in advance!

Paty

You can find the requirements here:
http://defensa.sag.gob.cl/reqmercado/

And requirements specifically for seeds here:
http://defensa.sag.gob.cl/reqmercado/consulta.asp?tp=6

Every type of seed has its own requirements, and you can contact SAG to see exactly what they'll need, including stuff like paperwork. You might avoid some of the complicated shipping issues, if you bring them with you. But I've never done it that way, so I don't know anything about those procedures.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:26 am

Follow the rules to the letter, or you will be fined and probably have problems with residency visas.........the government takes agriculture very seriously.....
It's all about the wine.

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:27 am

Besides most seeds you need are already in the country, look up seed swaps.......
It's all about the wine.

peregrine77

Postby peregrine77 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:56 am

Yes, we have friends with heirloom seeds near Puerto Varas, the seed swap is a good idea but you need something to swap..
But if it isn't too much trouble to follow the rules, it would be nice to bring in your own proven favorites,
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Simon and Garfunkel

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:30 am

Most types of seeds can be found in Chile. Chile is after all major exporter of fresh fruit to the north in the winter.

If you go through the importation time and costs just for your backyard garden, your going to have the most expensive food in the country.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:05 am

In Santiago area check out the bio feria on Saturdays in La Reina there are lots of organic foods and sellers of all things growing or to be grown........
It's all about the wine.

paty_chile

Postby paty_chile » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:11 am

Hi again, thanks for all the helpful posts! I guess we'll start by making a list of all the plants we would like to grow and then check whether these can be found in Chile. I've found some permaculture contacts who will certainly be happy to help us at finding this out. Buying seeds in Chile seems to be way easier than importing seeds...

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Get the "Sakata Seed" Every time wanting to try and cultivate in my back yard or garden, always get the Sakata branded seeds.
Developed in Japan and proven surely and effectively. Never a failure, just prepare your soil put the seeds in, cover them with dirt, water over and a few days to week(s) see the tiny sprouts coming out.! You can get the Sakata seeds right over there in Chile.

http://www.sakata.com/
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:58 pm

paty_chile wrote:Hi again, thanks for all the helpful posts! I guess we'll start by making a list of all the plants we would like to grow and then check whether these can be found in Chile. I've found some permaculture contacts who will certainly be happy to help us at finding this out. Buying seeds in Chile seems to be way easier than importing seeds...

Yes, buying them in Chile is much easier, if you can find the varieties you want. But finding those varieties might not be easy either.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:52 am

paty_chile wrote:Hi again, thanks for all the helpful posts! I guess we'll start by making a list of all the plants we would like to grow and then check whether these can be found in Chile. I've found some permaculture contacts who will certainly be happy to help us at finding this out. Buying seeds in Chile seems to be way easier than importing seeds...

"like to grow" I would suggest looking into "what you can grow"....... Just saying, this seems to be a cart before the horse situation.
It's all about the wine.

Return to “Food in Chile”