Outlook Calendar

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
Britkid

Outlook Calendar

Postby Britkid » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:50 am

When I send Microsoft outlook invites to people in other time zones, sometimes it appears at the wrong time in their calendar, even when I have calculated the time difference correctly. I had one case of someone saying the time was right in their computer but when they looked in their phone it appeared an hour different. In another case one person said the time was correct in their calendar, and another in the same time zone said it wasn't.

It is either correct or appears 1 hour too early for them.

Probably something to do with the time changes made in Chile from one year to the next. Has anyone else already had the same issue and fixed it?

Thanks.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

frozen-north

Re: Outlook Calendar

Postby frozen-north » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:35 pm

What time zone is used in Chile?

I have noticed that since the last change to summer (or winter) the time in the forum page seems to be incorrect by one hour.

papageno

Postby papageno » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:45 pm

frozen-north wrote:What time zone is used in Chile?

I have noticed that since the last change to summer (or winter) the time in the forum page seems to be incorrect by one hour.

Right now, Santiago time is the same as US Eastern Daylight savings time. So for us gringos on the west coast, 9:00 here is 12:00 there.

frozen-north

Postby frozen-north » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:53 pm

papageno wrote:

9:45 am

Right now, Santiago time is the same as US Eastern Daylight savings time. So for us gringos on the west coast, 9:00 here is 12:00 there.

And the main page of the forum at this time says: 12:51. It does show the correct time for my zone, Mountain Standard Time, once I log in.

frozen-north

Postby frozen-north » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:56 pm

035 Eastern Standard Time (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time (US and Canada)
040 ....

056 Pacific S.A. Standard Time (GMT-04:00) Santiago

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 11%29.aspx

...?

Gloria

Postby Gloria » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:56 pm

It's time for lunch so don't be late!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

Jamers41

Postby Jamers41 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:49 pm

I noticed the same thing at my office in Santiago.........I think it has to do with how phones are supposed to automatically change the hour according to whenever daylight savings time goes in and out of effect (more or less along the lines of what the OP suspects)......the problem of course being that the government here has made multiple changes to that within the past couple of years, so now many phones still move 1 hour back or forward around the time of year when it used to be correct (falling back 1 hour in late April and moving forward 1 hour in early September) rather than the current scheme (falling back in mid May and going forward in mid August).

The reason I say I noticed it at my office is that some colleagues of mine try to reserve a meeting room on the Outlook server using their phones (which has access to their work email) and then they have conflicts with other employees that try to reserve the same room at the same time, because 1 person's looking at the room availability using a PC and sees an open slot at 3pm while the other person's looking at the same time slot on their phone and it appears to them at 4pm (for example). Then when people from 2 different meetings show up at the room at the same time inevitably there's some arguing and grumbling as one party realizes that the hour they were looking at when they tried to reserve the room is 1 hour later or earlier and they have to give in to the other party and reschedule their meeting. This seems to be most common in the fall and spring when the time change is recent or right before it actually happens.

tiagoabner

Postby tiagoabner » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:33 am

I have the same issue with Google Authenticator when doing 2-step authentication for some websites, as there's a conflict between the phone's local clock, Google's clock and the app.

Return to “Chile Investment, business, and Money Issues”