LATAM Chile website scary message for NR extranjeros...AGAIN

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

LATAM Chile website scary message for NR extranjeros...AGAIN

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:52 am

Hello well traveled forumites,

A scary message for non-resident gringos and extranjeros now appears on the Chile website when purchasing those dirt-cheap domestic fares:

La tarifa que seleccionaste es exclusiva para residentes.
El dÍa de tu vuelo tendrás que acreditar esta condición en nuestros mostradores o se te podrÍa cobrar una multa.

The last time, maybe about ten years ago, LAN tried to use a similar misleading message to discourage "non-residents" from buying on their Chile site. All BS then until now but my question is: has something for real changed this time?

Any non-residents want to test this?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Re: LATAM Chile website scary message for NR extranjeros...AGAIN

Postby admin » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:40 pm

Are they charging iva tax against the ticket for a none-resident?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

FrankPintor

Postby FrankPintor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:55 pm

LATAM do that here in Ecuador and I believe they do charge the difference in the fares for residents and non-residents. Can't wait for Viva / Ryanair to grow their network...
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

eeuunikkeiexpat

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:46 am

I posted on multiple forums and contacted someone I know at LATAM. Didn't get any immediate info from the other forums and the LATAM contact said they have heard nothing about resident-only fares in Chile and will get back to me again after further inquiries.

Today, I tried the LATAM CHILE site again with the same flights and fare buckets AND THERE IS NO LONGER A POPUP WARNING MESSAGE.

Appears to be error or joke that may have been quickly quashed due to our postings.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

argendiense

Postby argendiense » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:45 am

They do the same in Argentina. You need a DNI (RUT) to be able to purchase the tickets -- they don't actually ask for it at the time of purchase, but you need to show it when you go to check-in. Then it is down to the agent, I have heard of people who are able to claim ignorance of the rule and been able to board. I have also heard of people who have had to cough up the difference before being able to get on the plane. There is a loophole which is something like if your original incoming flight to the country is on LATAM (or in Argentina, Aerolineas Argentina, because the rules apply with them as well), you are allowed access to the resident-only fares. Of course, for some non-residents their original flight may have been some time ago, so that may be a difficult thing to prove...

eeuunikkeiexpat

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:37 am

Argentina has government subsidized resident only air fares, they are real and the airline should charge the difference if they can.

LAN Chile has never had them (could be a legal thing), so that was the reason for this one day controversy. LATAM Argentina, Peru and apparently Ecuador (thanks Frank) have official resident only air fares.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:35 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:I posted on multiple forums and contacted someone I know at LATAM. Didn't get any immediate info from the other forums and the LATAM contact said they have heard nothing about resident-only fares in Chile and will get back to me again after further inquiries.

Nowadays complaining to company accounts on Twitter often works faster than other support channels. They are probably afraid of another Twitter outrage. :)

Return to “Travel in Chile”