36 Hours in Santiago, Chile

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
fraggle092

36 Hours in Santiago, Chile

Postby fraggle092 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:54 pm

Wouldn't be my 36 hours, that's for sure.
Dinner for two with drinks, around 80,000 pesos

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... chile.html
Après moi, le déluge

AHusband

Re: 36 Hours in Santiago, Chile

Postby AHusband » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:11 am

I think I have paid that much several times in Casablanca.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:30 am

fraggle092 wrote:Wouldn't be my 36 hours, that's for sure.
Dinner for two with drinks, around 80,000 pesos

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... chile.html

Yea, that is likely pretty typical now in Santiago, even for some really crappy restaurants (ones pretending to be upscale). You could go have a sandwich and tap beer for 8,000 pesos; but, unless your both in college your probably not going to get a second date (even if your married).

Still Santiago is expensive, and the higher end restaurants are getting more expensive (that is if you want to eat something besides burnt meat).

Then also, I guess it depends on how many drinks you have, and more importantly what you drink. Even a crappy bottle of wine in most restaurants will tack another 10-30,000 pesos on to a bill, even if the wine is sold at the supermarket for 2,000 pesos.

My wife and I go on vacation, get a bill in some other currency, and after some painful mathematical gymnastics quickly realize it is cheaper than staying home and going to any of our favorite restaurants. Does not matter if it is Miami, Cuba, or Brazil, they are all still cheaper to eat out in that most places in Chile. We were in Brazil and actually were drinking Chilean wines in restaurants cheaper than in Chile.

I have this theory about why restaurants are so consistently expensive in Chile. Low barrier to entry, coupled with very small population = restaurants will almost always be a money loosing proposition in Chile. Relative to the number restaurants in the country, there simply are not sufficient people with the disposable income to regularly eat out. The market is super saturated. You would think that would bring the prices down, but instead, just to keep the door open most restaurants need to really jack their prices up. Especially in areas with seasonal tourism. I have heard a lot of restaurant owners complain about the problem of entire families on vacation coming in, ordering a plate of fries and a couple of cokes, then just camping out at the table all day. It only takes a few of those, to kill a restaurants profit margins, especially in the high tourism season.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

gregf

Postby gregf » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:33 am

My wife and i have the same experience. We are in punta del este now and even eating in the conrad hotel, its marginally more expensive than a crappy dinner at el otro sitio etc.

MJSaywell

Postby MJSaywell » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:42 am

Kind of agree and kind of not admin as my comparison is NZ, hell paying 10000 pesos fora bottle of wine here, which is what I normally pay, maybe up to 15000, is still a lot better than paying 7000 pesos a glass in NZ, or 30000 pesos in NZ a bottle. Thinking of restaurants here in Puerto Varas I find it very hard, with the exception of a couple of restaurants at the high end, how it could get to 80000 for just a meal and a bottle of wine, maybe in Santiago, and yeah a really classy bottle of wine, was it a three course meal? Because for me two mains at say between 10000 and 15000 and a bottle of wine at 10000 to 15000 doesn't come anywhere near 80000, even if I had desert. And those prices are certainly good restaurants here in Puerto Varas, not the top but certainly in the better ones.

Donnybrook

Postby Donnybrook » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:19 am

I had a visitor here for 2 weeks and we ate out a lot. Meals varied from "gourmet" sandwich places to fairly high end restaurants - but not the top layer as far as prices go. The restaurant meals usually consisted of a shared starter, two mains, no dessert. Drinks were 1 pisco sour, a glass of wine (or a couple of beers in the sandwich places) and 2 or 3 bottles of water. The most we paid was 53,000 and the least 28,000 (for 2 people). If there had been 2 cocktails and a bottle of wine or desserts, then the 53,000 bill would probably head toward the 80,000 mark but not hit it. In the top layer of restaurants in Santiago - Boragó or La Mar as examples - it would have definitely hit that number.

I can't open the link because I have reached my 10 free views of the NYT so I don't know where they mentioned. Where did they eat?

fraggle092

Postby fraggle092 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:33 am

Donnybrook wrote:Where did they eat?

Here:

Book ahead to reserve one of a small number of tables at Restaurante 040, helmed by the Spanish chef Sergio Barroso, who did a stint at El Bullí before moving to Chile. He takes the best of Chilean ingredients — sea urchin, oysters, edible flowers — and presents them in original ways, like the “ravioli” of smoked fish wrapped in thin woven strips of avocado. Dinner for two with drinks, around 80,000 pesos.
Après moi, le déluge

Gloria

Postby Gloria » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:33 am

Donnybrook wrote:I had a visitor here for 2 weeks and we ate out a lot. Meals varied from "gourmet" sandwich places to fairly high end restaurants - but not the top layer as far as prices go. The restaurant meals usually consisted of a shared starter, two mains, no dessert. Drinks were 1 pisco sour, a glass of wine (or a couple of beers in the sandwich places) and 2 or 3 bottles of water. The most we paid was 53,000 and the least 28,000 (for 2 people). If there had been 2 cocktails and a bottle of wine or desserts, then the 53,000 bill would probably head toward the 80,000 mark but not hit it. In the top layer of restaurants in Santiago - Boragó or La Mar as examples - it would have definitely hit that number.

I can't open the link because I have reached my 10 free views of the NYT so I don't know where they mentioned. Where did they eat?

Restaurant 040
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

scandinavian

Postby scandinavian » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:40 am

admin wrote:Then also, I guess it depends on how many drinks you have, and more importantly what you drink. Even a crappy bottle of wine in most restaurants will tack another 10-30,000 pesos on to a bill, even if the wine is sold at the supermarket for 2,000 pesos.

My wife and I go on vacation, get a bill in some other currency, and after some painful mathematical gymnastics quickly realize it is cheaper than staying home and going to any of our favorite restaurants. Does not matter if it is Miami, Cuba, or Brazil, they are all still cheaper to eat out in that most places in Chile. We were in Brazil and actually were drinking Chilean wines in restaurants cheaper than in Chile.

I disagree with this part. My observation is that the wine normally is marked up with a factor 2 or 3 in Santiago. I travel a lot to Brazil, but only Rio and SP and my general experience is that a cheap Chilean wine (say 2-3 lucas in Supermarket), that no self respecting Santiago restaurant would have on the card, can easily cost 20-30.000 pesos.

80,000 for 2 is definitely very-high end (pricewise) in Santiago. Even in most places around Vitacura, you would get by with less than that. Borago on the other hand is 200.000 for 2.

AHusband

Postby AHusband » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:43 am

It is just surprising in Chile, since the median income is low by western standards, not that the overall price is unreasonable.

Switzerland is more expensive in my experience.

It took me a bit to realize that the 10.000 dish restaurants were on the cheap side.

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:48 am

AHusband wrote:It is just surprising in Chile, since the median income is low by western standards, not that the overall price is unreasonable.

Switzerland is more expensive in my experience.

It took me a bit to realize that the 10.000 dish restaurants were on the cheap side.

Yes, in absolute numbers eating in a decent place in the US is more expensive.

A lunch in an average cozy cafe far from the downtown in Portland costs $10-13 + 20% tips. Here it's from $4000 to $5000 + 10% tips, so I can have almost two for the same price.

fraggle092

Postby fraggle092 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:09 pm

Chileans generally don't eat out much, and outside of Santiago, and possibly Viña there aren't enough year-round visitors or locals (with both the disposable income and the inclination) to make the middle to high-end restaurant business worthwhile. Also, most Chileans have very conservative tastes when it comes to food which makes it difficult for a real chef (as opposed to a cocinero) to be creative.
Most Chileans, even the well-off ones, don't like swanky places, preferring homelier restaurants where the food is good and unpretentious and comes in generous portions.
Après moi, le déluge

Return to “Travel in Chile”