LATAM pricing fiddles

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
bazzasoft

LATAM pricing fiddles

Postby bazzasoft » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:43 am

We're coming over to Santiago again next year but want to return home to London via New York.
LATAM are quoting £3877.10 ONE WAY SCL to JFK but as little as £602.50 RETURN !!
Why on earth do they do this ?

Gloria

Re: LATAM pricing fiddles

Postby Gloria » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Did you call the agency?...Probably a mistake? what about trying another airline?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

papageno

Postby papageno » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:57 pm

No mistake. I encountered a similar differential for LAX--PMC.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:20 am

Try the multi-city option.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

bazzasoft

Postby bazzasoft » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:57 am

Multi-city won't work as it is a direct flight.

bazzasoft

Postby bazzasoft » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Finally found Ocado would sell me the (single) flight for £600.
A lot less than LAN themselves were offering but still a very expensive flight !!

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:45 pm

There is a practice called throwaway the reutrn of a RT.

Inside rule is not to make it obvious to the airline (you are a frequent customer of them and you have thown away in the past, you have another ongoing flight with them under the same FF number, etc.).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:12 pm

I bought a return ticket from SCL to NYC this year. I only needed a single, but the return was cheaper. Airlines have been doing this for years on an off, it's quite strange like a lot of things airline wise. (British rail also used to charge more for some singles until around 2000 when they stopped this.)

I called up once I was back to Chile by another route with another company and asked LAN for the tax to be refunded on the return portion and I did it in a single phone call, no follow up. It came a month later or something. I think I got 20,000 or at most 50,000 back, something in that ball park. It was worth it for a few minutes on the phone and it worked Ok with a foreign card that made the purchase.

I made sure the selected return date was well after I was back in the country and I selected whichever return date and price brought the overall price down to the lowest possible. I think calling to cancel and get the tax refund may be easier if you get the request in before the flight goes. I am not actually sure if this is true.

If you don't call the airlines then they take your money for the taxes they pay per person, that they won't pay because you won't be there, and just pocket it themselves! They have an obligation to refund (possibly in law) if you ask, but sometimes they make it difficult so it isn't worth it.

This is the second time I've done it. The other time I did it was with either Opodo or Expedia when we came to Chile and ditched the return, and they kept saying you will get your refund and I had to follow up over and over again and it was hardly worth it but I kept doing it because that was 4 people so x4 the refund it was more like $100 or $200.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

Return to “Travel in Chile”