Smog-Induced Driving Restrictions?

General topics related to Living in Chile
snocouchs

Re: Smog-Induced Driving Restrictions?

Postby snocouchs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:38 am

This conversation is completely horrifying. We might be moving to Chile, and would probably have to live near Santiago. Just the thought of having to be in that for a few hours terrifies me. I have asthma. I knew it was bad, but this puts it on a whole new level for me. Do people live to be like 60 here? Seriously.

Sons of Thunder

Postby Sons of Thunder » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:08 pm

snocouchs wrote:This conversation is completely horrifying. We might be moving to Chile (for work), and would probably have to live near Santiago. Just the thought of having to be in that for a few hours terrifies me. I have asthma. My husband is going to have to do the meetings. Joy. I knew it was bad, but this puts it on a whole new level for me. Do people live to be like 60 here? Seriously.

You better plan a visit beforehand, then. Keep in mind that an area like Las Condes has much better (comparatively) air quality, while an area like La Dehesa is even better. If you have the coin to live there, that is. :shock:

snocouchs

Postby snocouchs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:35 pm

We would visit first of course, just reading up.

So ----looking at travel times on google directions, how accurate would you say they are? Do I need to add 30 minutes 1 hour etc. for traffic? Say if we lived some place 1 hour outside of Santiago, how much time would I need to add to do any sort of 3 times weekly commute? Are there any communities on the train line edges that are relatively smog free?

snocouchs

Postby snocouchs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:12 pm

However, routinely coming over the mountains may not be your cup of tea. Very steep parts, switchbacks, not properly banked, can be hard to pass, fun in the right sort of car but requires 100 percent concentration or into the cactus and rock you go. Public transport does it all the time but it requires caution. Pacos controlling traffic at Tiltil can be strict (and expensive). Would not recommend living in the valley on the east side of that range - hot, dry, smoky, smoggy, uninteresting. Anyway, a map, with km indicated.

Px, thanks so much for all the info. Have you driven mountain roads in Costa Rica? If so, how would mountain driving in Santiago area compare? I've done a bit of that, but would not want to on a daily basis.

I can't wait to check things out. I am completely on the fence about this country. I am unsure that good weather, stable economy, fabulous nature, fresh produce, great wine - cancels out - impossible to understand spanish, horrible food, boxed milk, earthquakes, tsunamis, 112 approx. active volcanoes, leaky damp houses with wood burning heaters and world class smog.

regioncentralX

Postby regioncentralX » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:53 pm

If you are preparing yourself for a 1.5 - 2 hour commute each work day, FYI many Chileans make the daily bus commute from the coast ($4.800-$5.200 pesos R/T in my neck of the woods + Metro/TranSantiago bus to the final destination). I recall zer0nz saying many Santiago further out cuico 'burbers pay the same or more in gas, tolls and parking per day not to mention the added benefit of road stress for the equivalent amount of commuting time.
¡ This is Sshiile Weon !

snocouchs

Postby snocouchs » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:01 am

Fortunately I did not have to drive Cerro de la Muerte. I did drive from San Jose to Nicoya to Monteverde to Arenal to San Jose. I think the worst part was my husband telling me what was off the side of the cliff. And the bridges. If you could call them that.
What exactly is a TPS radar site used for? Military?

El Chupacabra

Postby El Chupacabra » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:36 am

:) :)
Living the life!

El Chupacabra

Postby El Chupacabra » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:52 am

deleted
Living the life!

El Chupacabra

Postby El Chupacabra » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:19 am

deleted :D
Living the life!

go play outside

Postby go play outside » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:45 am

An alert today. More than 4 times WHO safe levels. Dontcha just LOVE it.
http://foundinchile.cl/2011/06/another- ... smogadise/}

Rain on Friday... going to be a hell of a week.

snocouchs

Postby snocouchs » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:17 am

Nice. Is there a chart somewhere on the site with a historical record of air quality?

go play outside

Postby go play outside » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:54 am

The official site only lists them up to 2007.
http://www.subtrans.cl/subtrans/vias/restriccion.html

I will keep digging. Good question.

Return to “Living in Chile”