How do you determine how much Aduana will charge?

General topics related to Living in Chile
rasmataz

How do you determine how much Aduana will charge?

Postby rasmataz » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:15 pm

I am thinking about bringing in a new wood chipper from the U.S. to Chile. I know the price and the cost of shipping to get it here but I have no idea what the duty fees will be from the Aduana once it arrives here. Other than Customs, what other fees would be applicable? If anyone else has had experience with this or can recommend a website I can go to, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tiagoabner

Re: How do you determine how much Aduana will charge?

Postby tiagoabner » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Too many variables involved, but in a simplified way: if it is through USPS/Correos de Chile, it will be 19% IVA plus 6% taxes. If it is through an express shipping company (aka DHL, Fedex, UPS), expect roughly 65% in taxes, storage fees and customs clearance fees. If it is through a container or other dedicated shipment, get ahold of a customs agent to get a quote before you even ship the item.

Rhodolite

Re: How do you determine how much Aduana will charge?

Postby Rhodolite » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:32 pm

I haven't looked to see what a wood chipper is, but in April 2016 we brought a log splitter to Chile. Cost in U.S. dollars: $700, 498,393 clp at the time. Add state sales tax, shipping to nearest port, ocean freight, customs broker in Chile, port charges in Chile, charges for "desconsolidacion" in Chile and Chilean customs for a total of 1.090.883. Surprise! you will be charged Chilean customs of 19% on each of these items (except customs itself), not solely on purchase price. If the value is less than US$1000 (as of 2016) you can go to the port and clear it yourself, but do so quickly because port charges are high and accumulate daily. And yet... despite all the aggro it was still less expensive and better quality than anything available in Chile. Ah, Chile...

Return to “Living in Chile”