To flush or not the toilet paper.

General topics related to Living in Chile
User avatar
Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3952
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby Gloria » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:47 pm

41SoChile, I should've put a $1000 aside every time I heard from others.." you cannot change an entire society" and my response always was..." my purpose is not to change Chilean society, I only want things to be done correctly"... today I would've several millions in my pocket. I feel your frustration but it won't get you nowhere. Bad habits in Chile sometimes are rewarded instead of ridicule or punished...unfortunately that's the way it is. Chileans would've to be wiped out and reborn again before things change and this goes in every level. There is one good thing you could do on your own behalf. Take others advice and educate yourself in the things that most matters to you and in this instance is....fixing your own toilet and how to maintain your home trouble-free. You'll thank me in the long run.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 800
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby Space Cat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:36 pm

41southchile wrote:my point was if Chilean society valued trades and services jobs a little more and people actually took pride in their work rather than forcing kids to go to some Dubious University to end up in a career which is swamped and never actually work in that field or do so for a piss poor salary

Yes, I heard the same from a friend who's a very skilled in baking, local Germans love his German bread. He said that most people here don't value craftsmen and employers always try to underpay him. He tried to scale up his own production by hiring others but local bakers don't want to learn how to make better bread because why bother if it's not paid well. A vicious circle.

Meanwhile one of the U's here opened a musical arts career recently. What an enormous waste of money.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby at46 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:18 pm

There's a lot of dishonesty here, that's for sure, the small, petty kind. And it has nothing to do with salaries. Your 'professional' real estate agent who's Arquitecto UDLA - Tasador Coproch screws you out of 10,000 lukas every time he sends you money for an apartment he manages for you. And he's income is anywhere between 2 and 4 million a month so it's not like he's starving. Or you overpay your gastos accidentally to your building administration and never see the money again or get any credit for it, coz somehow mysteriously it just gets accounted away.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby at46 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:31 pm

Space Cat wrote:
41southchile wrote:my point was if Chilean society valued trades and services jobs a little more and people actually took pride in their work rather than forcing kids to go to some Dubious University to end up in a career which is swamped and never actually work in that field or do so for a piss poor salary

Yes, I heard the same from a friend who's a very skilled in baking, local Germans love his German bread. He said that most people here don't value craftsmen and employers always try to underpay him. He tried to scale up his own production by hiring others but local bakers don't want to learn how to make better bread because why bother if it's not paid well. A vicious circle.

Meanwhile one of the U's here opened a musical arts career recently. What an enormous waste of money.

There's so much opportunity wasted here because people are dishonest with each other and often can't trust even members of their own families. Beats me how the Italians and Germans managed to scale up their Falabellas and Jumbos.

Julito
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:39 pm
Location: Villarrica/Pucon

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby Julito » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Probably by only employing each other at the outset.

I've been watching 2 "tradesmen" spend 2 months so far building a simple 2 room bodega on a neighboring property. They spend most of their time driving back and forth to Sodimac (a 20km round trip) as the gradually figure out how to do it.

User avatar
Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3952
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby Gloria » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:47 pm

at46 wrote:There's a lot of dishonesty here, that's for sure, the small, petty kind. And it has nothing to do with salaries. Your 'professional' real estate agent who's Arquitecto UDLA - Tasador Coproch screws you out of 10,000 lukas every time he sends you money for an apartment he manages for you. And he's income is anywhere between 2 and 4 million a month so it's not like he's starving. Or you overpay your gastos accidentally to your building administration and never see the money again or get any credit for it, coz somehow mysteriously it just gets accounted away.

I've been saying it for years....this is the land of ALIBABA....need to say more?
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:01 pm

nikotromus wrote:I actually haven't had any issues flushing. But, every toilet I've used has almost no water in it. Which, is different. ;-)

Great, now I have something else to look forward to:) I thought I'd seen it all.

nikotromus wrote:btw - best signature quote ever thisisreallycomplicated!

It saves me from having to explain it all the time.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1698
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Is there any way to test the plumbing in a house, you're considering buying? Would it be too weird to show up with a few rolls of paper, and ask the owner if you could try it out?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby at46 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:47 pm

Gloria wrote:
at46 wrote:There's a lot of dishonesty here, that's for sure, the small, petty kind. And it has nothing to do with salaries. Your 'professional' real estate agent who's Arquitecto UDLA - Tasador Coproch screws you out of 10,000 lukas every time he sends you money for an apartment he manages for you. And he's income is anywhere between 2 and 4 million a month so it's not like he's starving. Or you overpay your gastos accidentally to your building administration and never see the money again or get any credit for it, coz somehow mysteriously it just gets accounted away.

I've been saying it for years....this is the land of ALIBABA....need to say more?

On a bad day I call it breathtakingly unimaginative, enormously small-minded giant of diminutives :)

HybridAmbassador
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3385
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby HybridAmbassador » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:02 pm

What ever, never hire a maestro that says I only work by the hour. Always negotiate task or job needed by out the door price.
Pay for the completed jobs, not step by step by the hour charges. They can take any steps towards finishing the job leisurely and make more money..I had a carpenter install a brand new main entrance door just today from Home Depot. I researched for the taking the old door out and install the new door job. Received many that said, I can do the job for you timely and competitively priced.
From a whopping US$1000 by the hour guy, to done to my satisfaction to the tune of only US$250. When investigating more about them, found through yelp page, those two are not to be hired! So went to the local Home Depot home center where I purchased the door from and asked to have my door installed by the store carpentry guys..They quoted me a somewhat reasonable US$400 for the complete job. All surrounding frames matches to a very snug fit and the leveler show precise angles, laterally and vertically..I'm very satisfied with those guys installation labor rate, a complete job charge and not by the hour labor charge..!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

User avatar
Gloria
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3952
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Región de los Ríos

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby Gloria » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:10 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:Is there any way to test the plumbing in a house, you're considering buying? Would it be too weird to show up with a few rolls of paper, and ask the owner if you could try it out?


You are kidding, right? Weird?....noooooooooo...asinine.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 268
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby at46 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:18 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:Is there any way to test the plumbing in a house, you're considering buying? Would it be too weird to show up with a few rolls of paper, and ask the owner if you could try it out?

I think that's pretty much standard procedure here by anyone with a bit of experience. Water pressure, plumbing, elevators, external paint, earthquake damage in basement, roof/window leaks, faulty electrical sockets, faulty electricity/water meters, the list goes on...


Return to “Living in Chile”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 6 guests