To flush or not the toilet paper.

General topics related to Living in Chile
Gloria

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby Gloria » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:37 pm

41southchile wrote:
I like the idea of bringing down a Canadian plumber to show these half ass clowns who don't give a shit, how it's really done. Maybe someone should start up an agency of competent trades people from countries that can get shit right. They could come down for three months and travel around and work on projects.

Don't put your hands on the fire for Canadian or American contractors because many are as deficient as the Chileans. My favorite show in the US was Mike Holmes series fixing other Canadian contractors fuck ups. When coming to Chile, at the top of the list should be the requirement to have basic knowledge of house building and maintenance or you'll be at the mercy of ignorants charging outrageous fees for nothing. Now a days you can learn a lot from Youtube.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.
Please remind me the reasons why I decided to come back!

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:51 pm

For anyone expats in Chile wanting to build a house starting with a clean slate, please contact our forum favourite, the always joyous Gloria-san. I have seen her house inside and out and all window frames are very tightly done. very impressive carpentry job seen throughout the entire house. She and her Hubby single handed dug the trenches while her neighbors all watched in amazement. Perhaps, when you wanting to build a quality house, you should contact Ms.Gloria for advise...
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

nikotromus

Postby nikotromus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:10 pm

Before coming to Chile, my wife and I talked to colleagues at the office who either worked in Chile for years or were born in Chile and were now working on the American side of the corporation. Every word out of their mouths was positive. Beautiful landscapes, friendly people, a vibrant economy, dogs and cats sleeping together in harmony. Not to mention Chile ranks like #7 on the Heritage Foundation's index of economic freedom. What could possibly go wrong!

It sounded like paradise with the added benefit of escaping the warfare state of Murica. Not one person told us "There are shanty towns everywhere, every house has metal gates with spikes, German Sheppard's and electric fences, the shitters don't work, there's a thick cloud of muck everywhere in Santiago, and ya gonna pay three times as much for everything and get excrement quality in return."

I know, I know - Welcome to Chile...

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:21 pm

And that is why we say, "santiago no es chile".
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 pm

Wait a second.

That is also why we say "chile no es chile".
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nikotromus

Postby nikotromus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:29 pm

I've only spent time in Vina Del Mar, Las Condes and Talca. There is still plenty to explore. I know the terrain is gorgeous and on par with New Zealand from what I am told. I am looking forward to doing some hiking this summer in the South.

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:49 pm

nikotromus wrote:I've only spent time in Vina Del Mar, Las Condes and Talca.

You can add Coquimbo to your list of places with bad plumbing. The first thing I was told when I got here was don't flush the paper, or the whole building will get flooded.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

nikotromus

Postby nikotromus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:58 pm

I actually haven't had any issues flushing. But, every toilet I've used has almost no water in it. Which, is different. ;-)

btw - best signature quote ever thisisreallycomplicated!

41southchile

Postby 41southchile » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:45 am

Gloria wrote:
41southchile wrote:
I like the idea of bringing down a Canadian plumber to show these half ass clowns who don't give a shit, how it's really done. Maybe someone should start up an agency of competent trades people from countries that can get shit right. They could come down for three months and travel around and work on projects.

Don't put your hands on the fire for Canadian or American contractors because many are as deficient as the Chileans. My favorite show in the US was Mike Holmes series fixing other Canadian contractors fuck ups. When coming to Chile, at the top of the list should be the requirement to have basic knowledge of house building and maintenance or you'll be at the mercy of ignorants charging outrageous fees for nothing. Now a days you can learn a lot from Youtube.

Possibly, but it's the old 80/20 rule, except in Chile it's the reverse. In Canada and developed countries, where being a tradesperson such as a plumber or electrian is actually a valued profession in society, there are probably 80 percent that do the job well and 20 percent that are cowboys (that's where you TV show comes in), in Chile it's 80 percent ignorants and 20 percent that do the job well.

frozen-north

Postby frozen-north » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:35 am

41southchile wrote:
Gloria wrote:
41southchile wrote:
I like the idea of bringing down a Canadian plumber to show these half ass clowns who don't give a shit, how it's really done. Maybe someone should start up an agency of competent trades people from countries that can get shit right.

Don't put your hands on the fire for Canadian or American contractors because many are as deficient as the Chileans. My favorite show in the US was Mike Holmes series fixing other Canadian contractors fuck ups.

Possibly, but it's the old 80/20 rule, except in Chile it's the reverse. In Canada and developed countries, where being a tradesperson such as a plumber or electrian is actually a valued profession in society, there are probably 80 percent that do the job well and 20 percent that are cowboys (that's where you TV show comes in), in Chile it's 80 percent ignorants and 20 percent that do the job well.

Actually Gloria is correct and your statements are not well informed, and you are not the first to make the same ignorant statements in this forum.

You can not compare a 20 dollar a day Chilean 'maestro' with a 20 dollar an hour Canadian plumber. Even admin admitted earlier that the problem that his brother-in-law had was that he did not want to spend more money on hiring somebody more competent. Being a 'valued profession in society' cannot be translated in higher wages in Chile when the median salary is around 700 dollars, and the minimum salary is somewhere around 200+ dollars. Most people in Chile can just not afford to hire a more competent and more expensive plumber, etc.

As for the second part, there are plenty of examples of incompetence in the land of 'Holmes on Homes'. One of my favorites is what happened with the approval by the provincial government of Alberta of untreated pine shakes for roofing.

Between 20,000 and 30,000 Alberta homes have been affected by failing pine shakes due to a fungus growth that promotes premature rotting, forcing homes and some commercial structures to be reroofed after five to eight years rather than the predicted and warrantied 25.

http://www.businessedge.ca/archives/art ... andal-5208

41southchile

Postby 41southchile » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:18 pm

frozen-north wrote:
41southchile wrote:
Gloria wrote:
41southchile wrote:
I like the idea of bringing down a Canadian plumber to show these half ass clowns who don't give a shit, how it's really done. Maybe someone should start up an agency of competent trades people from countries that can get shit right.

Don't put your hands on the fire for Canadian or American contractors because many are as deficient as the Chileans. My favorite show in the US was Mike Holmes series fixing other Canadian contractors fuck ups.

Actually Gloria is correct and your statements are not well informed, and you are not the first to make the same ignorant statements in this forum.

You can not compare a 20 dollar a day Chilean 'maestro' with a 20 dollar an hour Canadian plumber. Even admin admitted earlier that the problem that his brother-in-law had was that he did not want to spend more money on hiring somebody more competent. Being a 'valued profession in society' cannot be translated in higher wages in Chile when the median salary is around 700 dollars, and the minimum salary is somewhere around 200+ dollars. Most people in Chile can just not afford to hire a more competent and more expensive plumber, etc.

As for the second part, there are plenty of examples of incompetence in the land of 'Holmes on Homes'. One of my favorites is what happened with the approval by the provincial government of Alberta of untreated pine shakes for roofing.

Between 20,000 and 30,000 Alberta homes have been affected by failing pine shakes due to a fungus growth that promotes premature rotting, forcing homes and some commercial structures to be reroofed after five to eight years rather than the predicted and warrantied 25.

http://www.businessedge.ca/archives/art ... andal-5208

Yes yes we all know the salaries blah blah blah, stop making excuses for the absolute crap ass jobs the majority of people do. That's the trouble here, your argument about wages is far too simple, if that was right why would the excellent plumber we found in Puerto Varas a a year or two ago, be absolutely swamped with work? And pulling a good wage with a nice pick up. Why was the absolutly brillant waiter that we used a to have a in a favourite restaurant in Santiago a few years back be pulling over 1 million a pesos a month in tips . Maybe I wasn't coromparing apples with apples but my point was if Chilean society valued trades and services jobs a little more and people actually took pride in their work rather than forcing kids to go to some Dubious University to end up in a career which is swamped and never actually work in that field or do so for a piss poor salary. Stop making excuses about wages and income levels, see enough of that bs from all those minimum wage people you talk about, thinking they should be the boss in day one of the job and doing absolutely jack apart from looking at their phones instead of actually doing the job they are supposed to be doing. It's that kind of mentality that holds the majority of the population back and why people are on such shitty wages, because work is not important, service is not important for them. It's just a means to an end and they bitch and moan about wages but never actually do anything except follow the victim mentality. Only a small minority better themselves.
Yes I am also aware that shit goes wrong in other countries, but as I said it's the minority, that's why you can find all those links and you get tv shows about it. Here it's just accepted, don't think you'll see a show like that here.

41southchile

Postby 41southchile » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Look, I don't really want to get into a big long argument Frozen North I'm just venting, and I resent my comments being called ignorant, people can do what they want really it just amazes me the whole don't give a shit mentality or is it incompetence?. But I feel You are on the wrong track and just making excuses about wages, it's about people's attitudes. I've had brilliant service from staff that are probably on minimum wage, so why are they so different? Why do some people work well on poor wages and why at the other end do people that charge a fortune do crap jobs? There seems to be no relation between wages and how well someone does a job a lot of the time, they are either trying to pull a fast one or just can't be assed to do it well most of the time.

Return to “Living in Chile”