To flush or not the toilet paper.

General topics related to Living in Chile
41southchile

To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby 41southchile » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:11 am

Ok so I checked a little but not a long way back so apologies if this has been answered.
Why is Chilean plumbing for toilets so pathetic, why can you not flush toilet paper down the toilet in quite a few places? Is it because the toilet doesn't generate enough water pressure to push the material all the way down the line? Is it the fall of the pipes not being the right gradient? Is the diameter of the pipes too small?
We have just built a new house, and the toilets constantly block up so I am constantly using a plunger, I hate having to put paper in the waste paper basket, but after almost getting tendinitis from plunging so much lately we may have no choice. I have lived in only a few countries but have never seen this where I lived most of my life in New Zealand, and I even think the toilets there push out more water down or something, it just seems to get it down. No fuss there just good honest plumbing, the only time I hear of blocked toilets is when kids try to stuff toys or other material down, and yet here the toilets seem too weak too even push a crappy bit of colluded confort out of sight, or am I missing something else ?

mlightheart

Re: To flush or not the toilet paper.

Postby mlightheart » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:30 pm

To flush, or not to flush, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take Arms against a Sea of troubles,

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:40 pm

I have developed a flush sense. It is years of experience that consciously, subconsciously and psychically calculates a particular toilet's water and pipe capacity with the particular waste load and the quality/amount of toilet paper. Cheaper toilet paper is better tolerated and multiple flushes during business might be a requirement. Develop and cherish your flush zen or shutup and throw your $hit paper out mixed in with your kitchen waste. :mrgreen: :alien:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

RuneTheChookcha

Postby RuneTheChookcha » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:07 pm

41southchile wrote:... I have lived in only a few countries ...

Having a bit [lots] of experience travelling and/or living in a number of countries, in a good number of them it is customary to use water for hygienic purposes, and there is no paper available for that matter. Yes, for average Westerner this could seem weird, but things can develop in such a way that you will HAVE to adapt. Once this is habitual, you will feel the difference, and this most definitely will incline you not to use paper any longer, I promise you, you just have to give it a try. You can use any sort of a plastic (or metal) cup (mug) or plastic bottle, or anything you see fit.

41southchile

Postby 41southchile » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:50 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:
41southchile wrote:... I have lived in only a few countries ...

Having a bit [lots] of experience travelling and/or living in a number of countries, in a good number of them it is customary to use water for hygienic purposes, and there is no paper available for that matter. Yes, for average Westerner this could seem weird, but things can develop in such a way that you will HAVE to adapt. Once this is habitual, you will feel the difference, and this most definitely will incline you not to use paper any longer, I promise you, you just have to give it a try. You can use any sort of a plastic (or metal) cup (mug) or plastic bottle, or anything you see fit.

Indeed, willing to give anything a go, but how about drying, otherwise don't you end up with a wet rear end or do you need a hair drier handy?

RuneTheChookcha

Postby RuneTheChookcha » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:56 pm

You have to either assign a special small towel to this task, or a cloth, or it just dries up by itself quickly, and presents no serious concerns.

RuneTheChookcha

Postby RuneTheChookcha » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:59 pm

You can also post inquiry on any sort of South East Asian discussion boards, and though chances are you won't be taken seriously raising these matters publicly, a kind soul could give you detailed answers in regard to the technicalities. Do you have friends physically residing in the SE Asia?

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:13 pm

The plumbing is poorly designed, in my place I had a Canadian friend who has a large mech company and is a plumber by trade come down with one of his guys and plumb out the house (I don't want to remember the hangovers), the builders were in awe, it turns out the reason much of the plumbing in Chile doesn't work is 1) often over sized, big is better, 2) too much slope, more is faster. These two together cause blockages, you need the right size pipes so they are full of the flush water to carry everything away and you need enough slope to carry things down but not too much so the water runs off and the rest stays and starts a clog. After all plumbers need to know 2 things, up from down and sh!t runs down hill.........
It's all about the wine.

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 pm

Ha,ha,haa Flush or bin the toilet paper for later discard. If water soluble quality paper, then is OK to flush them down the drain but if using low quality toilet paper, better to bin it otherwise very expensive Roto-Rooter bill tendered to you.

Once in remote region of India, the ladies won't marry you, unless you can prove to them that your newly to be Husband have a living quarter with a toilet. Many young ladies later finds that when fecal time comes, they have got to go deep in the bushes
to dig a small hole then squat over to the job and creating agricultural strength manure.! Also after done, alas there are no toilet paper to wipe the region that never see the sun shine. An Indian guy told me, no toilet paper needed, just use your index and middle fingers to swipe over and the rinse by scraping the surrounding dirt. Repeat the task many times over and clean fingers! Ha,ha,haa....
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

jamie_m

Postby jamie_m » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Flusher forever :) I have to say though, it's a special kind of feeling when you're visiting Chilean friends or family and you have to report that you've caused a big problem. " Ni importa" yeah, you wait till you have to look it there :)

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Wholy shit !!!

Where are you people shitting?

I come across once in a great while a dodgy looking bathroom that has a sign don't flush paper, but once in a great while. Typicaly in some fairly remote location.

Now that said plumbing is shity in chile, but it is nowhere like say colonial cities in central america with colonial plumbing installed 500 years ago that cracks with every earthquake and clogs, or has no water in it.

Yea septic system are more often than not installed wrong. I gave up long ago trying to explain the physics, biology, and engeniering involved. Like why you can not dump bleach in to a septic system. Or, why the pipes need to be at just right angle. More angle is not better on the pipe runs.

Owwwww, a recent one that caught me by suprise. why you need a drain field. Brother in law built a new house. Meastro that was mentally challenged by which side of the the nail goes in the wood, installed his septic system.

My brother in law of course 6 months later, was having problems. We are talking it over. Trying to trouble shoot the problem. I gave him my best list of guesses at things to check, that typicaly go wring with septic systems. I am in no way an expert.

He calls the guy with the truck to clean the septic system. If there is a guy that has seen every error there is with badly installed septic systems in chile, it will be the guy that cleans the tanks. He takes one look at the system, and says they never put in a drain field. Would have never have occurred to me someone would skip that part of a "septic system". They just ran out about 10 meters of drain pipe and left it.

I told him dont let the moron maestros do plumbing or electric work when he was building. It is way, way beyond them. He went cheap. In the last year he has pretty much replaced the entire piping, plus damage from leaks, in his one year old house. At least he is keeping the paint looking fresh from all the repairs. I dont even want to know what is going on with wiring.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

hlf2888

Postby hlf2888 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:35 pm

I saw a sign in the women's toilet at the revision technica , it said "solo urinar". I wondered if there was a hidden camera watching to see if some poor soul came in and needed to do more than urinar. I should have taken a photo. In the supermercados in Chile, they are selling rolls of toilet paper with mini rolls inserted inside the larger rolls tubes, so you can carry around a mini-roll of toilet paper with you when you are not at home.
I love this country but sometimes it's dysfunction is remarkable.

Return to “Living in Chile”