toll roads

General topics related to Living in Chile
tiagoabner

Re: toll roads

Postby tiagoabner » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:51 pm

admin wrote: (...)It actually cost more to get to the airport, than to fly.

To get to Santiago's airport by public transportation, I spend about $2500. Tickets start at $10000, so nowadays the cost to go to the airport can make up for 20% of the costs in a given trip.

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:09 pm

admin wrote:Funny, a couple months ago i bought a 4x4 that needed to be properly tested. I thought, 'cool now i can go hit that list of remote roads that i have had to turn back over the years in southern chile'.

Guess what?

They were all paved or at least really nice maintained gravel roads now. I drove for two hours before i found something to even make it worth putting my truck in 4x4. I was mumbling to my wife, " dam developed country".

admin, you should try your " crawl control " devise in your FJ Cruiser. It just craws your way up the mountain with out stepping on your go pedal.

https://youtu.be/L55twSxkh40
https://youtu.be/mWcAOBu2-YA
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:29 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
admin wrote:Funny, a couple months ago i bought a 4x4 that needed to be properly tested. I thought, 'cool now i can go hit that list of remote roads that i have had to turn back over the years in southern chile'.

Guess what?

They were all paved or at least really nice maintained gravel roads now. I drove for two hours before i found something to even make it worth putting my truck in 4x4. I was mumbling to my wife, " dam developed country".

admin, you should try your " crawl control " devise in your FJ Cruiser. It just craws your way up the mountain with out stepping on your go pedal.

https://youtu.be/L55twSxkh40
https://youtu.be/mWcAOBu2-YA

2010, no crawl control. Only sold on the 2013-14 models. I have to do it the old fashion way, with my foot. Got all the other buttons (a-track, rear diff lock, etc).

I got stuck on a lake beach, coming up steep embankment. Started digging a hole. My wife started freaking out. I said, "don't worry, I still have buttons to push. when I run out of buttons to push, then freak out".
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

dmwbmw2

Postby dmwbmw2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:41 pm

In Buenos Aires they open the toll gates if the lines build up, not in Chile.

I have seen 5 km lines.....

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:41 pm

frozen-north wrote:
nikotromus wrote:
The government collects 6 UTM for every thousand liters of gasoline and 1.5 UTM for every thousand liters of diesel.

An argument in favour of reversing the taxes of gasoline and diesel, 6 UTM on diesel and 1.5 UTM on gasoline:

Sin embargo, es necesario reducir el uso del diésel, debido a su alto poder contaminante. En este sentido, gravar a todo aquel vehículo que circule o no por calles o carreteras que ocupe diésel con impuesto de 6 UTM por metro cúbico, subsidiando eso si por parte del Estado a aquellos vehículos que satisfagan necesidades básicas como el transporte público o traslado de alimentos, aplicando simultáneamente una reducción a 1.5 UTM a todos aquellos vehículos que ocupen gasolina.

http://www.ceadechile.cl/articulos/impu ... tibles.asp

As Chile has no north south cargo rail or marine system (well for the far south they have marine, but they have to), the trucks and busses move all goods and most people, so they get a lower tax on their fuel costs, cutting final cost to the consumer........if you want lower cost fuel by a diesel vehicle.........
It's all about the wine.

Rhodolite

Postby Rhodolite » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:26 pm

Has anyone else heard that Chile is building a string of ports so that more goods will be moved up and down the country by ship than by truck?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Rhodolite wrote:Has anyone else heard that Chile is building a string of ports so that more goods will be moved up and down the country by ship than by truck?

Any articles?

All I've ever heard is the competition or complementary development of San Antonio and Valpo regarding the Puerto de Gran Escala.

http://www.latercera.com/noticia/puerto ... capacidad/
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:50 pm

they are adding one in Puerto Montt. Still pretty slow for just in time type delvieries.

the rail system is a mega public mess, that needs to be put down with bot barrels. There is a mythical train, but don't try taking it unless you are in no particular hurry to get no particular place. We have train stations all over the south, that have not seen a passenger train in 10+ years. They still piss money in to the wind every year, promising train service.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46

Postby at46 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:23 am

They should get the Chinese to build them a bullet train to Viña and a bunch of radial electric train lines out of Santiago to move people in and out of the smog bowl.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:49 am

Yea, private taxi, runs about 25,000 pesos to airport.

41southchile

Postby 41southchile » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:09 am

at46 wrote:They should get the Chinese to build them a bullet train to Viña and a bunch of radial electric train lines out of Santiago to move people in and out of the smog bowl.

Hmm they might want to iron out all their problems first, been lots of issues in NZ and the UK I hear from Chinese trains. I think there are plans to have trains going out of Santiago towards Melipilla etc and of course the Rancagua express.

41southchile

Postby 41southchile » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:18 am

admin wrote:they are adding one in Puerto Montt. Still pretty slow for just in time type delvieries.

the rail system is a mega public mess, that needs to be put down with bot barrels. There is a mythical train, but don't try taking it unless you are in no particular hurry to get no particular place. We have train stations all over the south, that have not seen a passenger train in 10+ years. They still piss money in to the wind every year, promising train service.

Haha yes the restoration of the train line South, that was another one of Lagos projects at the turn of the millennium, pity that didn't work out to well, I can't remember the exact controversy but it was something like the carriages were the wrong size after some dodgy deal to get them, they then had to get rid of them and lost a tonne of money and never bothered getting anymore. All the stations were fixed up , the one in Puerto Montt is leased out to a motorbike shop, all the others around the region have 24 hour security guards to stop them being vandalized, supposed to anyway. They never thought to put more money into infrastructure in the line though, a bridge collapsed with a freight train going over it a few months ago (probably 6) just south of Temuco, it's still not fixed and probably won't be for a long time, there is serious money that needs to be spent on that delapidated line with bridges etc nearly 100 years old. The state rail company EFE is one of the most corrupt and or inefficient parts of the Chilean burrocracy from what I've heard, so I wouldn't hold out any hope of anything radical or just common sense, happening anytime soon with Chile's rail system. It all needs to be ripped up in the south and they should make a tourist cycle way all the way down from the central valley , at least that might bring in some money rather than it just sucking money from the state.

Return to “Living in Chile”