Victory in life: how VTR upgraded me beyond my dreams

General topics related to Living in Chile
tiagoabner

Victory in life: how VTR upgraded me beyond my dreams

Postby tiagoabner » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:59 pm

My happy story begins when I moved to a new apartment downtown a couple of months ago. The previous tenants used internet sporadically, so the crappy 15 mb VTR connection the apartment was getting was OK for them. However, both me and my wife use it for basically everything, from work to entertainment, so we needed something better.

After a single call to the (non-Chilean) landlord, he scheduled for it to be upgraded to a 130 mb connection. They told it might not be available in our area, but we decided to give it a shot anyway. Fast forward a week, the technician arrives, verifies some cables around the block and, guess what? It turns out 130 mb was indeed available in our building. He switched our router for a brand new one, got a call to their tech team and then went out, telling us that it could take a couple of hours for the upgrade to register.

A couple of hours later, I tested my internet connection and was happy with the results: blazing fast internet. However, I did a speed test and it was too fast, going at around 160 mb, the speed of their fastest and most expensive plan. Figuring out that could be an overkill, I gave them a call so they could adjust it to the correct speed and also asking for them to cancel my TV plan, as I virtually never turn it on. They happily confirmed they have done their technical setup and I moved on with my life, without bothering to check the speed again.

Then my bill came charging me for the 15 mb, with no TV charged. And I currently stumble upon this on my speed test results:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6453552765

Obviously someone messed up really hard in their internal system and I immediately notified my landlord about it (the bill is in his name). We thought it could be a residual/partial bill for a previous month, or something like that, but thus far everything has been going on smoothly.

TL;DR: VTR messed up, upgraded me beyond my dreams, is currently undercharging me and giving me free (although crappy) Chilean TV. Thug life, bro.

Andres

Re: Victory in life: how VTR upgraded me beyond my dreams

Postby Andres » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:34 am

Are you sure you are in Chile?
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:27 am

Are you sure you are on VTR?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:04 pm

But try this to NY or CA servers – that's where the Internet actually stored.

chesswolf

Postby chesswolf » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:11 pm

That's mine, believe it or not with Telefonica del Sur. It wasn't this slow until like a week ago. I think they slowed me way down because I downloaded some media packs that were several gigs total, so I might have exceeded my quota for fast internet and now they're slowing me down. I know cell phone companies in the states do that, but I never imagined Telefonica del Sur would do that over my broadband connection. I forget what I'm paying for, but I think it's 60 megs. We're planning to move in a month or so, so complaining isn't worth the hassle to me.

Sad that 3.48 is faster than 62% of Chile.

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:35 pm

I sometimes download dozens of gigs and they never slow down the connection. Maybe try rebooting your modem.

tiagoabner

Postby tiagoabner » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:22 pm

Regarding connection speed to CA or NY servers, I still get at least a very workable 40mb in the worst case, so it is fine. It is interesting because it shows VTR has the hardware to provide good speeds, they probably just don't know how to the client-side configuration properly.

FrankPintor

Postby FrankPintor » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 pm

Looking to the future, fixed wireless (LTE-TDD at 3.5GHz is the technology being used) should become available in Chile in the medium term, the speed offered depends on the spectrum available to the mobile internet provider, but for example in Peru 200Mbps residential plans are available for about USD150/month.

One very nice thing about about fixed wireless for the users is that the operator doesn't need physical access to the building, no fibre needs to be laid, so no exclusive agreements between apartment building owners and internet providers to the detriment of everyone else.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:23 am

FrankPintor wrote:Looking to the future, fixed wireless (LTE-TDD at 3.5GHz is the technology being used) should become available in Chile in the medium term, the speed offered depends on the spectrum available to the mobile internet provider, but for example in Peru 200Mbps residential plans are available for about USD150/month.

One very nice thing about about fixed wireless for the users is that the operator doesn't need physical access to the building, no fibre needs to be laid, so no exclusive agreements between apartment building owners and internet providers to the detriment of everyone else.

Awesome, do you think it will be unlimited or at least more than 10Gb monthly like modern 3g/4g plans?

tiagoabner

Postby tiagoabner » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:04 pm

In Brazil there is Live TIM in the biggest cities that is basically the same: wireless with a decent speed and no need for cables or other limiting factors.

It goes for USD $30 for 35 mb and has plans of up to US $50 for 90 mb.

http://www.tim.com.br/rj/para-voce/inte ... a/tim-live

FrankPintor

Postby FrankPintor » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:16 pm

Space Cat wrote:
FrankPintor wrote:Looking to the future, fixed wireless (LTE-TDD at 3.5GHz is the technology being used) should become available in Chile in the medium term, the speed offered depends on the spectrum available to the mobile internet provider, but for example in Peru 200Mbps residential plans are available for about USD150/month.

Awesome, do you think it will be unlimited or at least more than 10Gb monthly like modern 3g/4g plans?

Not sure, but in Peru at least the offer is unlimited: http://www.claro.com.pe/personas/hogar/internet/familia-plus-200mbps/ but who knows how it will be in Chile. Entel are trialling the technology at the moment.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

mlightheart

Postby mlightheart » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:37 pm

I guess if ExpatBob was able to get internet like that, then he would have stayed.

Good for you!

Return to “Living in Chile”