Chile 2017 Presidential Election

General topics related to Living in Chile
Andres
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2684
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 3:09 am
Location: in transit

Re: Chile 2017 Presidential Election

Postby Andres » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:28 am

Maybe she wants to stick to the "international" career path from now on.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 800
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: Chile 2017 Presidential Election

Postby Space Cat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:49 am

Meanwhile, a nice short interview with Chilean economist in Cambridge. He talks about how Chile and Latin America in general fail to adapt to the new technological era. The average productivity in Latin America is stuck on 1980s levels while it has multiplied by 6 in Asian countries during the same period.

"...usar la inmigración como último recurso para bajar salarios, ya indica una etapa geriátrica."
http://impresa.lasegunda.com/2017/06/23 ... #slider-42

He also says that 83% of 4.3mln jobs in Chile created from 1980 to this day are in the service industry.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 15111
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile 2017 Presidential Election

Postby admin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:51 am

Space Cat wrote:Meanwhile, a nice short interview with Chilean economist in Cambridge. He talks about how Chile and Latin America in general fail to adapt to the new technological era. The average productivity in Latin America is stuck on 1980s levels while it has multiplied by 6 in Asian countries during the same period.

"...usar la inmigración como último recurso para bajar salarios, ya indica una etapa geriátrica."
http://impresa.lasegunda.com/2017/06/23 ... #slider-42

He also says that 83% of 4.3mln jobs in Chile created from 1980 to this day are in the service industry.



heee, the website that did the interview is so badly designed, I can not read the interview on my computer. Guess that proves his point. :lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 800
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: Chile 2017 Presidential Election

Postby Space Cat » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:08 pm

admin wrote:heee, the website that did the interview is so badly designed, I can not read the interview on my computer. Guess that proves his point. :lol:

Heh, it's not the first Chilean newspaper that just puts its scans as images online instead of converting them to proper HTML.

Here's the JPG itself:
http://seg.reader.ecn.cl/2017/06/23/con ... 317-42.jpg

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 15111
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile 2017 Presidential Election

Postby admin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:15 pm

here is a wonderful number Bachelet can cheer: 8%

The unemployment rate in Santiago.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 15111
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile 2017 Presidential Election

Postby admin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Space Cat wrote:
admin wrote:heee, the website that did the interview is so badly designed, I can not read the interview on my computer. Guess that proves his point. :lol:

Heh, it's not the first Chilean newspaper that just puts its scans as images online instead of converting them to proper HTML.

Here's the JPG itself:
http://seg.reader.ecn.cl/2017/06/23/con ... 317-42.jpg


yea, but there is right and wrong way to do it. That site would not produce a scroll bar to let my browser scroll down to read the article.

Here this local paper in the lakes region does a better job:
http://www.ellanquihue.cl

I still hate the scanned newspaper thing in all forms, but at least the site works.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

frozen-north
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1526
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Chile 2017 Presidential Election

Postby frozen-north » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Meanwhile, a nice short interview with Chilean economist in Cambridge. He talks about how Chile and Latin America in general fail to adapt to the new technological era. The average productivity in Latin America is stuck on 1980s levels while it has multiplied by 6 in Asian countries during the same period.


Reading what he says, he seems to be advocating complete government control of the economy. Is that what you would like to see?

Another interview with the same person:

http://politicayeconomia.cl/jose-gabrie ... podia-dar/

"...usar la inmigración como último recurso para bajar salarios..."


It seems that the US and Canada have been doing that for a number of years, but the wording has been different.

Ottawa will need to raise its annual immigration level by one-third to 407,000 by 2030 to sustain its economic growth amid an aging population, says a new report on Canada’s demographic trends.

https://www.thestar.com/news/immigratio ... ation.html


User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 800
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: Chile 2017 Presidential Election

Postby Space Cat » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:06 pm

frozen-north wrote:Is that what you would like to see?

Duh, quoting is not endorsement of a person. Anyway, the part about the technological lag is the only one interesting to me, not his proposed solutions.

frozen-north
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1526
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Chile 2017 Presidential Election

Postby frozen-north » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:18 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Anyway, the part about the technological lag is the only one interesting to me, not his proposed solutions.


And his explanation and solution for the lag is more government control and investment. I don't think he says anything worth quoting about 'the technological lag'. What did he say that is worth quoting? "Chile and Latin America in general fail to adapt to the new technological era" is not much of a statement.

User avatar
Space Cat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 800
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:20 pm
Location: Valdivia

Re: Chile 2017 Presidential Election

Postby Space Cat » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:11 pm

frozen-north wrote:And his explanation and solution for the lag is more government control and investment. I don't think he says anything worth quoting about 'the technological lag'. What did he say that is worth quoting? "Chile and Latin America in general fail to adapt to the new technological era" is not much of a statement.

I had no idea about the service industry size for example. Also I can understand his sentiment because tight government control worked for China.

frozen-north
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1526
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Chile 2017 Presidential Election

Postby frozen-north » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:30 pm

Space Cat wrote:
I had no idea about the service industry size for example. Also I can understand his sentiment because tight government control worked for China.


Without further references and more context I would not take his statements about the service industry at face value. Don't forget that a number of years ago economists were talking about 'the post-industrial world' and other fads that come and go.

As for how and why tight government control 'worked' for China, that is something that needs more context. Have you looked at the history of the Asian Tigers? The 1997 economic collapse? This article (I am still reading it) seems interesting:

The Asian Tigers from Independence to Industrialisation
Bruno Marshall Shirley, Oct 16 2014

http://www.e-ir.info/2014/10/16/the-asi ... alisation/


frozen-north
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1526
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Chile 2017 Presidential Election

Postby frozen-north » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:50 pm

Would you say 'Everybody survived, .....except for those that died'? Well, in the article that I linked above, as well as a few others, including the one by the Chilean economist mentioned earlier, they talk about 'The Four Asian Tigers'. So, if one of those four has an economic collapse will we read of 'The Three Asian Tigers', and how they have something in common which is the key to development?

When the news started talking about the 'Asian Tigers', they weren't just four:

International Monetary Fund - 1998

China, Hong Kong SAR, Indonesia, the Republic of Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan Province of China, Thailand, and Vietnam—referred to collectively in this article as the "Asian tigers"

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fan ... heller.htm


So, I would object to selecting only some of the countries to make a point. (The article also objects to some that have said 'The most common explanation of the Tiger’s success is that it was in some way due to their shared Confucian culture.')


Return to “Living in Chile”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests