Window tinting banned in Chile now?

General topics related to Living in Chile
Maker42

Window tinting banned in Chile now?

Postby Maker42 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:20 pm

I just got rejected at revision tecnica because I had OEM UV block on the front windows and some aftermarket tinting on the back windows. The guy said this is a new rule for all of Chile. Has anybody else heard of this?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Window tinting banned in Chile now?

Postby admin » Tue May 02, 2017 4:37 pm

never heard that.

Which is pretty crazy considering just about every single car has some type of tinting on it these days.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 02, 2017 4:44 pm

yea, just asked around about that. Seems the morons in congress did change the law, and everyone across the country is pissed.

There would be like a billion dollars worth of windows that would need to be changed.

Another very fine case of the Chilean congress making arbitrary changes, without checking on the impact first (e.g. changing the time zones).

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 02, 2017 5:03 pm

Seems that it is was only suppose to apply to after market films, and the morons in the bachelet administration decided to start enforcing a very old law. However, it is subjectively applied at the plant doing the inspection. You are suppose to be able to request an appeal to the manager for OEM installs.
http://www.economiaynegocios.cl/noticia ... ?id=320104

Still reading however.

Maker42

Postby Maker42 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:27 pm

admin wrote:yea, just asked around about that. Seems the morons in congress did change the law, and everyone across the country is pissed.

There would be like a billion dollars worth of windows that would need to be changed.

Another very fine case of the Chilean congress making arbitrary changes, without checking on the impact first (e.g. changing the time zones).

Not to mention mostly outlawing their own cars. Or is this a case of "laws for thee, not for me"?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed May 03, 2017 8:47 am

I got two suggestions. Try running it through another revisions technica station. Other, try an appeal to the manager at the one you went.

There was a case a while back of like 3000 complaints filed against a revisions technica station where they failed all the cars, then the guys came around and told the people for 20,000 pesos they could pass them. They might just be screwing with you.

I can't believe that they would fail most of the production cars on the road, because I still see plenty of tint every day. Not just any tint either, like black hole dense, no light can escape type tint.

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Wed May 03, 2017 4:07 pm

Well, most of after market window tinting film makers and its installers apply by request from car owners, shades of tint so dark that the law officers can not see who or what are inside that vehicle.

In the US or in California state in particular, you can go dark window tinting but drivers window and the windshield has to be much lighter shade than the rest of windows on the subject vehicle. I think darkening the front or windshield glass is a No,No in MHO..?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Maker42

Postby Maker42 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Well I finally returned to RT, and confirmed that all aftermarket window tinting is banned. If it's OEM tinting, it's OK. If it's aftermarket film, off it goes.

While I was there, I ripped off the remaining tinting in the car and then they passed me.

I also saw a guy with tinting drive off with a rejection. Another guy did like me and ripped it all out there on the spot.

The amount of tinting is not an issue. Whether it's OEM or not is the only thing that matters. Makes sense, eh? I wonder if some garage window tinter really PO'd a law maker or something.

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:50 pm

Maker42 wrote:Well I finally returned to RT, and confirmed that all aftermarket window tinting is banned. If it's OEM tinting, it's OK. If it's aftermarket film, off it goes.

While I was there, I ripped off the remaining tinting in the car and then they passed me.

I also saw a guy with tinting drive off with a rejection. Another guy did like me and ripped it all out there on the spot.

The amount of tinting is not an issue. Whether it's OEM or not is the only thing that matters. Makes sense, eh? I wonder if some garage window tinter really PO'd a law maker or something.

After ripping off your film, did it not leave a glue residue? Was it clean peel off and nothing adhesive on after?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Return to “Living in Chile”