5+ year residents, will you vote in Chile?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Will you vote in Chile?

Yes
70%
No
9%
Maybe
9%
Had No clue I could
13%

Total votes: 23

Donnybrook

Re: 5+ year residents, will you vote in Chile?

Postby Donnybrook » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:40 am

bearshapedsphere wrote:can anyone think of any reason that I really need to change my voting address by the 30th, if I moved four blocks away, and am totally willing to go to the other voting place? I am short of time, and don''t relish the wait to make this seemingly administrative change.

Thanks! and yep, I'll be voting! I want to get my finger dyed blue. I wonder if they''ll still do that with the new rules.

You don't have to change it if you aren't bothered going to the mesa they assigned you with the old address. In our case that would mean a trip to Viña del Mar from Santiago and others may have a similar problem.

bearshapedsphere

Postby bearshapedsphere » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:11 am

oh good. Score one for having moved a very short distance. I can go catch up with all my old neighbors. Oh, except that they separate men and women, and it seems like all of my ex-neighbors were male.

Thanks for the feedback, Donnybrook!
11 years and counting in Chile
http://bearshapedsphere.com
tweeting occasionally at /bearshapedspher
food whatnot at instagram/dishsantiago

Donnybrook

Postby Donnybrook » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:10 pm

bearshapedsphere wrote: Oh, except that they separate men and women, and it seems like all of my ex-neighbors were male.

Thanks for the feedback, Donnybrook!

Maybe yes and maybe no. Foreigners get the RUT numbers next in line, which usually means we are down there with the newborn infants. Hubby and I are voting at the same table, according to servel, as our numbers are consecutive. So I am not sure how they will work it. Perhaps there will be special tables for the foreigners and transvestites, who have long been complaining about having to vote at a male table. This could turn out to be fun!

bearshapedsphere

Postby bearshapedsphere » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:19 pm

downtown they have historically split the peeps into men and women. I have been to a women's voting place, and two men's. I have never seen a mixed table, but maybe that's some kind of new-fangled arrangement. But yes, I am at a new mesa. By the way, my RUT begins with 21, so I might be like ten or something by now.

I don't think the transvestites would get to vote at the new tables, only the transexuals, but I'm not sure how the law works, really, it's just conjecture. :) I'll be sure to report back.
11 years and counting in Chile
http://bearshapedsphere.com
tweeting occasionally at /bearshapedspher
food whatnot at instagram/dishsantiago

gringalais

Postby gringalais » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:07 pm

My husband just brought up a good point. Those of us that are showing up as registered to vote on the Servel site will need to check to see if we have been designated as Vocal de Mesa. There are fines if you are designated and don't show up.

seawolf180

Postby seawolf180 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:11 pm

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors"
-Plato
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

jehturner

Postby jehturner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:44 am

How true. Unfortunately that frequently seems to happen nowadays whether one participates or not.

gringalais

Postby gringalais » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 am

Has anyone else received a notice in the mail informing them that they are eligible to vote? I just got one yesterday.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:28 pm

gringalais wrote:Has anyone else received a notice in the mail informing them that they are eligible to vote? I just got one yesterday.

Really?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

griffin

Postby griffin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:35 pm

gringalais wrote:Has anyone else received a notice in the mail informing them that they are eligible to vote?

The postman came by yesterday with white paper slips that had something to do with voting, which seemed to be for all the people who had ever previously lived at our address (4 or 5). I confirmed that these people do not live here anymore, and he checked them off on his clipboard. We didn't get one, but then we are definitely not eligible to vote (I checked the website to be sure since we have been in the country over 5 years, thanks Charles!).

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:12 pm

griffin wrote:
gringalais wrote:Has anyone else received a notice in the mail informing them that they are eligible to vote?

The postman came by yesterday with white paper slips that had something to do with voting, which seemed to be for all the people who had ever previously lived at our address (4 or 5). I confirmed that these people do not live here anymore, and he checked them off on his clipboard. We didn't get one, but then we are definitely not eligible to vote (I checked the website to be sure since we have been in the country over 5 years, thanks Charles!).

You have not had residency for 5 years?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

jehturner

Postby jehturner » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:57 am

There are quite a lot of us (legally) in that position up here. It will never apply to most people though...

Return to “Legal Issues”