Regions, Cities, and Towns in Chile
Chile is administratively divided into fifteen regions.
The regions are divided into provinces.
The provinces are divided into communes.
A large city such as Santiago includes communes, a medium-size city such as Punta Arenas is a commune and a small city such as Los Ángeles is in a commune.
Information on the sub-division of Chile can be found at
- Wikipedia article Provinces of Chile, with a complete list of the provinces.
- Decreto Ley 2868, listing the division of provinces into communas.
This article lists the regions from north to south, and cities or towns of interest in each of them. Details regarding each city and town are found in their respective articles.
Please create an article about any province, commune, city or town you wish, and add it to the appropriate section of this article. There is no common template for these articles, as their qualities will vary.
- 1 Related articles
- 2 External links
- 3 XV Region, Arica and Parinacota
- 4 I Region, Tarapacá
- 5 II Region, Antofagasta
- 6 III Region, Atacama
- 7 IV Region, Coquimbo
- 8 V Region, Valparaíso
- 9 RM Region, Santiago Metropolitan
- 10 VI Region, O'Higgins
- 11 VII Region, Maule
- 12 VIII Region, Bio Bío
- 13 IX Region, Araucanía
- 14 XIV Region, Los Ríos
- 15 X Region, Los Lagos
- 16 XI Region, Aisén
- 17 XII Region, Magallanes
- Distances between cities from www.vialidad.gov.cl, the roads department.
- National parks, monuments and reserves 
- Border frontiers http://www.pasosfronterizos.gov.cl/
XV Region, Arica and Parinacota
I Region, Tarapacá
II Region, Antofagasta
- San Pedro de Atacama
- San Juan meteorite field at 25°26.4'S, 69°52.2'W , approximately 10km off Ruta 5 near B-905C.
III Region, Atacama
IV Region, Coquimbo
- Greater La Serena, including Coquimbo
- Pisco Elqui, approximately 77 kilometers east-south east of La Serena, ~100 km by road, ~1.5 hours driving.
V Region, Valparaíso
- Easter Island, and Isla Salas y Gómez, some 380 km (236 mi) to the east.
- Petorca Province, in the northwest of the region, including Cachagua, Zapallar, Papudo and La Ligua.
- Valparaíso area, including Viña del Mar and Concón.
- Pomaire , 6km northeast of Melipilla, is known for its "greda" pottery.
- Isla Negra, which is a town, not an island; has a museum and one of the homes of Pablo Neruda.
- San Antonio
RM Region, Santiago Metropolitan
- Cajón del Maipo, southeast of metropolitan Santiago
- Santiago conurbation, the nation's capital, largest city and largest conurbation at approximately 7.2 million people
VI Region, O'Higgins
VII Region, Maule
VIII Region, Bio Bío
IX Region, Araucanía
X Region, Los Lagos
XI Region, Aisén
includes information on Torres del Paine