buying a CHARANGO

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
jwyatt357

buying a CHARANGO

Postby jwyatt357 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:07 pm

hey ya'll! i'm new here, and not sure if this is the right section for a question like this, but anyway, let me fill you in-

i'm going to chile in a couple weeks, for the better part of january with my school. we'll be spending most of our time in the town of Pucon, then headed to Santiago, as well as Viña Del Mar for a short period. I am a multi-instrumentalist (at least I'd have you think so!), and am hoping to find a music shop to pick up a charango, or other stringed folk instrument. does anybody have any ideas of where to look, or have any suggestions of what to look for, or look OUT for when picking out an instrument.

cheers everybody
jesse

wineman12

Re: buying a CHARANGO

Postby wineman12 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:49 am

I have a very nice Charango from Calvetty in Santiago,San Diego 611. Fono 6984833.About a $100.00 US.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Postby Vicki and Greg Lansen » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:52 am

You can find a charongo at quite a few ferias/mercados in Santiago. I bought a very nice one for $75US which included two sets of strings. Also, very important...don't buy one that is made with an armadillo shell because it may be confiscated by customs on your return. Better to get one that is carved on the back to look like armadillo!

As far as quality, the previous poster may have a higher quality charango, I don't know. how to guage that. But do get your extra sets of strings to take back.

Enjoy your visit!

greg~judy

Postby greg~judy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:27 am

Vicki and Greg Lansen wrote: Also, very important...don't buy one that is made with an armadillo shell because it may be confiscated by customs on your return.

~
eg.
:|

armadillo back ac.jpg
armadillo back ac.jpg (91.47 KiB) Viewed 620 times
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
--- Surangama Sutra
“If we want everything to stay as it is, everything will have to change."
--- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lamedusa

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Postby Vicki and Greg Lansen » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:54 am

That would be it! And to be honest, though it is traditional, the armadillo ones don't have the nice tone that the carved wooden ones do.

Off topic slightly, and side note...armadillos are a food source, so hopefully charangos with armadillos backs are a by-product of a nice campesino meal.

EDIT: They taste like possum.

Return to “Travel in Chile”