Chile Car Rentals

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Atlantis

Chile Car Rentals

Postby Atlantis » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:52 pm

I've decided to start a new topic because, although there are threads that mention different car rentals as a tangent to travel in Chile, I couldn't find one that was a direct comparison from different car rental companies in just one thread. I apologize if there IS, and I have missed it for pure lack of syntactical process. I hope that others will share their own car rental experience as well.

During our recent trip to the south of Chile we came to the ever challenging issue of which company to choose from when renting a car. We had read several threads where there is mention of one or the other, but in the end, were still doubtful as to which one to trust and one that we could get a good deal from, keeping in mind that we needed a car for almost two months.

We spoke to several, amongst them was Andres Gabor - mentioned in other threads AND our second choice - who was very professional and kind, answering every question promtly as well, but in the end did not have what we wanted at the right time in the right town. This was in Valdivia, and we checked two other rather unknown car rentals : Assef y Mendez on Gral. Lagos which were very unpleasant and expensive; the other one was two doors down from the Cafe Entrelagos - can't remember the name - which looked like a back yard operation with some very dodgy looking characters.

We ended up choosing Hertz ( I know, they have never been my favourite in the past either), and decided to rent only for 44 days. We got a Suzuki Vitara with only 15k on the clock = CHP 29,750 per day plus a CHP15,000 drop off fee for Osorno. It was convenient and they had what we needed at the right time but, the coin that tipped the balance (and hence, why I am recommending them), is that when our car was broken into in Pto. Montt and my trekking jacket and pants were stolen - as mentioned in another thread - they immediately let us have a Susuki Nomade (bigger 4WD) with no additional fees for another 5 days. They fixed the back rear window that was smashed in less than 2 days but because we were off to Chiloe early next morning they agreed for us to keep the Nomade until our return.

In addition, there was a lady who works for the PM office, Myriam Sierra, who happened to be driving past on that day just after leaving the Mall with her kids in the car and decided to stop and see if we needed help because she had recognized the Hertz logo. At that moment the carabineros were arriving to take my declaration - I think I also mentioned before that this was only 50 mts. from their comisaría - and she helped with some clarification about the car details and called her office to arrange for another car straight away. Pity she couldn't save me from having to go the local Fiscalia one week later to pick up some documents.

Anyway, a few brownie points for Hertz in my books.

A
"Reality is the court of final appeal"

Tiger.Peony

Re: Chile Car Rentals

Postby Tiger.Peony » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:57 am

I had a great experience in Viña del Mar with Rosselot. I researched rentals before arriving and then asked around when I arrived and then took an hour to visit different Rentals on Avda. Libertad in Viña. I chose Rosselot because their fares were good and they gave me a discount since they had a promotion a few days back which I missed. The lady who attended me was very pleasant and patient, and the place was very nice with professional staff. I didn't feel like I was bothering them with my presence. They even asked me if I wanted a cup of tea or water and had a washroom for their clients with toilet paper and everything!! lol
I rented the 2011 little wee Kia Morning. The gentleman inspected every nook and cranny with me there and pointed out any little scratches and nicks while I took pictures. All the paper work was clear and the Señorita gave me her personal cell number to call if anything should happen. I rented the car for a week and took her back, no problems what so ever.Then after 5 days of taking the Micro I went back and rented it for another week! I missed my mini kia so much lol
They were also quite accommodating and allowed my cousin to drive the car back from the airport when I dropped myself off lol..

The only thing that I found very strange was that they give you the car with only a whiff of gas in the tank. So you have to pray the whole way to the gas station that you will not run out haha.. fun when there's traffic..yay.

Billhere

Postby Billhere » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks for that plug for Rosselot. I will be in Chile for three weeks as from next week and the prices quoted are at least a third cheaper than the other more established multinational companies. I might look them up.

Our own experience with Alamo has been less than satisfactory. I won't bore anybody with the details but it involved alleged 'damage' to one wheel which was added to our credit card after we got home, and that is after paying all the insurances to avoid such a situation.

Th other one, and potentially more serious, and also with Alamo, was hiring a bit of a wreck with four almost flat tyres in Antofagasta and then it breaking down 120kms South of Iquique and leaving us for four hours while both the Iquique and Antofagasta offices denied any knowledge and refused to help. Used all the credit on my local mobile, and cost me a fortune using my UK one to try and get some help from a place at the side of an almost deserted road. The replacement car was covered in dust and the screen wipers didn't work, but hey, it never rains in the North so it doesn't matter.

Stay away from them, Trip Advisor has a long list of unsatisfactory reviews.

tonyakaserg

Postby tonyakaserg » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:59 pm

In Temuco and Concepcion I have always had great experiences with both Budget and Econorent. On our trip back we will be using both to rent a car over 45days. I have booked both cars over the internet (which I have never done before) and will report back as to how it all goes. The total cost for hiring a Toyota Urban Cruiser and Mazda 2 will be around a million pesos including IVA mas o menos.

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Econorent, I have good success with them in the south for 4 wheel drive vehicles.
It's all about the wine.

Billhere

Postby Billhere » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:55 am

If you are renting from outside of Chile do it via the company in your own country. At least then if you do have a problem you can get some help.

In my first experience I hired locally in Santiago and then, when it turned wonky, nobody spoke English any more, didn't reply to any correspondence and the credit card company didn't want to help because when I gave Alamo my card details I gave them carte blanche to do what they wanted with my money.

In the second case I hired via the UK and they took it up on my behalf, and eventually got me some money back, but they said it was like trying to deal with a brick wall !

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:36 pm

Billhere wrote:If you are renting from outside of Chile do it via the company in your own country. At least then if you do have a problem you can get some help.

In my first experience I hired locally in Santiago and then, when it turned wonky, nobody spoke English any more, didn't reply to any correspondence and the credit card company didn't want to help because when I gave Alamo my card details I gave them carte blanche to do what they wanted with my money.

In the second case I hired via the UK and they took it up on my behalf, and eventually got me some money back, but they said it was like trying to deal with a brick wall !

Do you have problems when ever you rent?
It's all about the wine.

Billhere

Postby Billhere » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:02 pm

No, I have had a couple of good rentals, it just seems that Alamo and I have had a few problems mostly by them trying to hang onto whatever they have got out of me, or by trying to extract more.

It amounts to what sort of service you expect, and all I expect is service when I have a problem. The event in the Atacama South of Iciqique was particularly stressful. A deserted road km's from anywhere and just stuck there and being told to wave down a bus and leave the car isn't exactly what I call a solution.

ABIII

Postby ABIII » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Alamo is consistently bad in Chile, and beware because they also operate National
a close friend got hit with the worst 4x4 rental in Chile from Alamo and they had no road assistance, she ended up forfeiting her stay in Puyuhuapi (not cheap) and having to deal with getting the car back to Puerto Montt.

I've had good experiences with Econorent, and lately with Europcar
with good service after an employee scraped it.
they quickly exchanged it, even in the middle of the peak crazy summer season
Based in Chile - 1990
Lake District - 2009

MillRat

Postby MillRat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:37 pm

nwdiver wrote:Econorent, I have good success with them in the south for 4 wheel drive vehicles.

Econorent for me too. I have used them many times (admittedly mostly for work), but they have always been very easy, the cars reliable and in excellent condition. Also, as I always book rental cars on line, my lack of Spanish has never been a problem.

tonyakaserg

Postby tonyakaserg » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:30 am

After 45days in Chile I am happy to inform that both Budget and Econorent were reliable, friendly, helpful and would be happy to recommend both!
At Budget Temuco I had booked a Categoria B for 7days but on the day I arrived they had crashed my car. I was given a Categoria K for the same price. No problems. All cars I hired over this period were in great condition and perfect for what we needed.

rocksana

Postby rocksana » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:31 pm

We had a great experience last month with Europcar.
When searching, we ran into their website but the prices and service didn't seem too friendly.
Finally we booked it via:
http://www.vipcars.com/

It was by far the cheapest rate we got, and it ended up being at Europcar, by less than half the price of what they offered themselves, including all insurcance and tags etc. They were pretty flexible, just the opposite of what is stated online, there is no charge for returning the car at another location (at least in Santiago), there is no fee for cancellation, the staff were very very nice, they give 3 extra hours free of charge if you are late for whatever reason. Recommended.

Return to “Lobby”