DO NOT USE UPS TO SEND STUFF TO CHILE!!!!

General topics related to Living in Chile
admin
Site Admin

DO NOT USE UPS TO SEND STUFF TO CHILE!!!!

Postby admin » Thu May 12, 2011 12:25 pm

This is a general FYI

For years now we have told clients as standard practice to not use UPS to send critical documents to us in Chile. Typically such things as powers of attorney and other legalized documents, that cost a lot of time and money to prepare, and can cost even more time and money in delays of things such as purchases, immigration applications, and so on. Critical documents.

Recently we have had a rash of new clients attempting to use UPS and USPS (united states postal system international) to send documents, and the documents have been lost or delayed for weeks.

So, I thought I would repeat this warning on the forum in hopes to get the word spread better.

DON'T SEND DOCUMENTS USING UPS TO CHILE!!!

Our recommended company is FEDEX and a close second DHL (they are just more expensive, not faster).

DO NOT BOTHER PAYING for OVERNIGHT DELIVERY!!!! There is no such thing in Chile.

ALL INTERNATIONAL COMPANIES USE LOCAL COMPANIES IN CHILE.

Typically they either use Chile Express or Turbus to deliver their packages once they hit Chile. The foreign companies rarely have real time tracking of the documents from the local companies.

One of the more interesting things a client was told by UPS (after a package was delayed for a week) was due to our remote location ( our office in frutillar is 40 mins from two major cities on a major highway, and our office in Temuco is in a city), they only deliver once a week (both chile express and turbus deliver to us everyday without a problem).

Most recently, UPS lost a document before it ever reached Chile. Simply telling the sender "too bad".

My favorite was when UPS told us that the town of Futaleufu was not in Chile.

Our recommendation is fedex, that delivers anywhere in the country by turbus. We have received thousands of critical documents over the years from fedex, and have never had one lost by them while providing a decent price for shipping relative to other companies.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

zer0nz

Re: DO NOT USE UPS TO SEND STUFF TO CHILE!!!!

Postby zer0nz » Thu May 12, 2011 12:33 pm

DO NOT USE CHILE EXPRESS EITHER FOR INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTS!!!!!!!, cost a client of ours $400 * 5 days while there container was stuck on the wharve because the secretary sent the documents by chile express and not fedex.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu May 12, 2011 12:35 pm

chile express and turbus we have had good luck with inside the country. I would not use them for anything international. Large packages, turbus is normally cheaper and better.

Chile express can be a bit flaky at times just to deal with.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

zer0nz

Postby zer0nz » Thu May 12, 2011 12:36 pm

admin wrote:chile express and turbus we have had good luck with inside the country. I would not use them for anything international. Large packages, turbus is normally cheaper and better.

Chile express can be a bit flaky at times just to deal with.

i agree good within chile!,

gato

Postby gato » Thu May 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Here is what to do if you live in a remote area, and if someone has already sent you documents by UPS.

Using your UPS tracking number, you must know the exact day that your UPS package hits Chile / Santiago.

On that very day -- you call UPS Chile Call Center, either 800-742-587 or +56 2 685 0700.

If you're in Valpo they have an office there: +56 32 2 211-360 {V REGION}.

You want "Atención clientes región".

Or call +56 2 685 0746, to reach "Atención clientes región" directly.

The other option is to contact either of the two persons <edit> or <edit> who work in the "Atención clientes región", by email <edit> or by phone: +56 2 685 0746.

You want to arrange for the exact place of delivery by Chilexpress (at the UPS Chile they use chilexpress).

Further, you must get your Chilexpress tracking number based on the UPS tracking number at the above listed numbers or emails.

Having done that, you have to use the http://www.chilexpress.cl website tracking system to make sure the Chilexpress tracking number is inputted correctly and the tracking actually works.

Further, if you live "out of coverage" for Chilexpress you have to provide UPS with the address of the nearest to you Chilexpress office, where you could pick up the docs.

Further, you have to contact Chilexpress "Servicio al Cliente" to make sure your docs are routed properly to the very same Chilexpress office that you selected, and to ask them for how many days the docs are there waiting for you.

The Chilexpress website have their phone number and the contact form (online questions are answered promptly, within 1 - 4 hours generally).

Have fun.
The time that you spend reading this sentence could be employed to better advantage in almost any other way.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu May 12, 2011 2:38 pm

A couple of years ago, after UPS lost a package, we called UPS to see where it was. They said it was returned to their office in Santiago. Being an important document, we decided to send our driver to pick it up. They could not tell us where their office in Santiago was located. A shipping company that can not find their own office, is one you should stay away from.

By the way, that package was finally rescued from an office at Chile express, in another region entirely.

Stoph

Postby Stoph » Thu May 12, 2011 5:01 pm

The posts so far have discussed the ineficiency and incompetence of UPS. In my own experience with UPS Chile, they were also totally dishonest and outright lied to me and the US shipper. Then they imposed exhorbitant fees for "storage" after my shipment sat in the Santiago warehouse for a month.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu May 12, 2011 7:51 pm

Well, I was trying to be polite. Yea, much of what they have told us and our clients over the years would be called an outright lie by most people's standards. I politely write it off as being the same problem that all international shipping companies have with Chile: THEY HAVE NO CLUE HOW CHILE REALLY FUNCTIONS.

Which is likely traceable to the same root that causes companies like HSBC to leave and other international companies. Essentially, they are assuming too much about how Chile REALLY functions relative to the rest of the World. Big chilean companies don't seem to have that problem.

Dam, I need to write a book on doing business in Chile.

ElPincheViejo

Postby ElPincheViejo » Fri May 13, 2011 4:22 pm

THAT'S LOGISTICS!

ExpatBob

Postby ExpatBob » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:41 pm

More information on our missing package: After several weeks of UPS declaring an "address exception" on our package (meaning they could not find the building), which is complete BS, we find after getting the trace done by the sender that our package never left Aduanas! It's still there. So UPS (or their local idiot provider) was blatantly lying to us regarding what was going on with the delivery.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Even FEDEX has lying issues:

6:25 pm
Shipment exception
SANTIAGO CL
Holding, recipient not in FedEx service area

11:27 am
In transit
SANTIAGO CL
Tendered to authorized agent for final delivery

Total bullshit as both Tur-Bus Cargo and Chilexpress deliver to this address not to mention this locale is associated with the most important port in western SA. :roll:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

seawolf180

Postby seawolf180 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:28 pm

In the case one has a "casilla" because they live in the country.
Can one receive a Fedex package at, and using as an address, a Chileexpress office in the provinces?
Years ago a document was sent to my PO box, but DHL retained it for pickup in Santiago.
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

Return to “Living in Chile”