Input re: schools-where to start??!!

General topics related to Living in Chile
Familyof5

Input re: schools-where to start??!!

Postby Familyof5 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:51 pm

We are awaiting confirmation of our move to chile. We expect we won't arrive until July. We have 2 children completeing gr 4 and 5 respectively. And a 2.5 year old. We are not yet Spanish speakers, and we are Canadian.

I have been recommended to find housing in Los condes? But have yet to visit chile myself.

I have heard from Nino already and was shocked at the cost-is it my only option?

Prefer non-religious
I'd really love some direction and even some input from those of you expats who have come from Britian, Canada, US, Australia as our school systems are similar...

TIA

dmwbmw2

Re: Input re: schools-where to start??!!

Postby dmwbmw2 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:08 pm

It is Las Condes, and this is not the only place to live.

Nido de Aguila is for very high net worth Chileans and expats with very deep expense accounts. It is by no means the only choice, and in my opinion, is very far from the best choice.

Your biggest issue will be getting them in after winter break for half a year. I think Nido is the only one that follows the Northern hemisphere semesters. The earlier you start communicating the better.

Some possibilities

COLEGIO THE GRANGE SCHOOL LA REINA
COLEGIO THE SOUTHERN CROSS SCHOOL LAS CONDES
COLEGIO THE MAYFLOWER SCHOOL LAS CONDES
COLEGIO SANTIAGO COLLEGE LO BARNECHEA

Donnybrook

Postby Donnybrook » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:34 pm

You may not find anyone to answer you in February as many schools close their office until the end of the month. Start contacting schools. All these are non-religious based schools. Look at Member Schools in the drop down menu.
http://www.absch.cl/w/index.php/en/

Nido is the only really international school in Santiago and runs a northern hemisphere school year. All other schools run March to December. Private schools have an incorporation fee.

Choose your housing once you know where the kids will go to school and where your office will be.

nwdiver

Postby nwdiver » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:30 pm

Being Canadian you will be shocked at the prices for good schools, there is a discount for second, third, xxx child in the same school, The Grange is where my son went after starting there then spending 7 years in Canada and finishing his last 3 years of high school there, they have native English speakers classes. You may want a school that has an IB program, The Grange does not, but it follows a system set down but Cambridge Univercity and is widely recognized at Univercities world wide. Many Chileans think through access to higher education when they pick a school......
It's all about the wine.

El Chupacabra

Postby El Chupacabra » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:34 pm

Other areas that are just as nice or even nicer than Las Condes in Santiago Include Vitacura, Lo Barnechea, Chicureo, Providencia & la Reina. All have great schools to choose from.

Outside of Santiago there are some great international schools in Vina Del Mar, and I'm sure there are some down south and up north, but I have no experience with the schooling in those regions so I'm sure another member will gladly fill you in.
Living the life!

argendiense

Postby argendiense » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi Familyof5 - my husband is being transferred there as well it seems (papers have yet to be signed, so it is possible it all falls through). I am Canadian (Vancouver) but we will be coming from Argentina - our son is going to be going into Gr 1 in 2018. We are pretty certain that this will be a permanent move for us, so we have been looking at the rankings for the PSU - the university entrance exam rankings. If you think your eldest may face this situation it may be a handy a reference as well - what's nice is that the list as published in this magazine breaks down the info easily (ie whether its all boys / girls / mixed // religious or not / prices etc). I don't know that the latest results are out yet but I presume that there is little movement amongst the top schools.

<LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN. NEW USER, NO LINKS>

Donnybrook

Postby Donnybrook » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:18 pm

El Chupacabra wrote:Outside of Santiago there are some great international schools …...

An international school is a specific type of school although most people use the word in a looser way. The only real one in Chile is NIdo de Aguilas with TIPS a possible contender. Other schools are basically Chilean schools with external exams (IB, Cambridge etc) and more intensive language immersion. Options are usually English, French or German. This does not really mean much in the greater scheme of things and it is important to choose the type of school which suits your child and his/her abilities as well as your wallet.

El Chupacabra

Postby El Chupacabra » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:46 am

Donnybrook wrote:
El Chupacabra wrote:Outside of Santiago there are some great international schools …...

An international school is a specific type of school although most people use the word in a looser way. The only real one in Chile is NIdo de Aguilas with TIPS a possible contender. Other schools are basically Chilean schools with external exams (IB, Cambridge etc) and more intensive language immersion. Options are usually English, French or German. This does not really mean much in the greater scheme of things and it is important to choose the type of school which suits your child and his/her abilities as well as your wallet.

Yes...you are right. I should have choose my words more correctly. I meant to say IB schools.
Living the life!

Familyof5

Postby Familyof5 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:19 am

Thank you everyone. We know the office is in las condes. At this time we hope to rent a house vs purchase. Hopefully that won't limit us too much. I have tried to look st homes online and all I come up with is million dollar houses. Any suggestions where I can look online to get a better idea of the type of homes there are and what the neighbourhoods look like?

I have begun to email schools. The grange tells me there are no vacancies for the older children, and nino doesn't seem to be a fit for us.

Id love to hear more about expats experiences with the schools and their reasoning behind their choices. I do hope to check the schools out in April.

dmwbmw2

Postby dmwbmw2 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:01 am

Admin doesn't like talk of real estate agents probably because most are crooked or incompetent or both.

But maybe he will let me say I have found some good places by browsing www.portalinmobiliario.com

dmwbmw2

Postby dmwbmw2 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:19 am

Just to give you an idea I searched rentals, Apartments in Las Condes with 3 or more bedrooms and 2 or more baths between 500,000 and 800,000 cp per month and got 696 hits.

dmwbmw2

Postby dmwbmw2 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:13 pm

There are fewer houses in this price range, probably need yto add 300 to 400 k to get a good selection. Don't just assume you want a house because in Canada everybody with kids has a house, there are pros and cons to each.

With 5 kids I rented a house on the basis that that is just what you did but after 3 yr lease was up we changed to an apartment and it worked out well.

Return to “Living in Chile”