iphone options for travel in Chile?

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

rfinmdusa
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: iphone options for travel in Chile?

Postby rfinmdusa » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:12 pm

The website opensignal.com shows WOW has a strong signal in PM and Ancud/Castro. It shows a weak signal at Punihuil which is a couple miles from my property so its a roll of the dice at this point. I'm at a higher elevation than Punihuil so its worth trying.

rfinmdusa
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: iphone options for travel in Chile?

Postby rfinmdusa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:57 am

The WOM SIM works in the iphone5s. The WOM card I bought at the mall in Puerto Montt could not get activated at the mall so i went to the WOM store a couple blocks from the mall. I get a good signal in Puerto Montt and Ancud. No signal from WOM at my property. I also signed up for the ATT $10/day plan and I get a signal at my property from Entel. My next plan is to see if an Entel SIM will work in the 5s and wait till I get home to see if ATT has placed a lien on my house.

As an aside I booked my flight from IAD to PMC on LATAM since i could book to my final destination. The flights were fine but my luggage did not arrive till the next day. I'm averaging a 25% chance that my luggage doesn't arrive with me regardless of airline

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 6469
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: iphone options for travel in Chile?

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:11 pm

rfinmdusa wrote:As an aside I booked my flight from IAD to PMC on LATAM since i could book to my final destination. The flights were fine but my luggage did not arrive till the next day. I'm averaging a 25% chance that my luggage doesn't arrive with me regardless of airline

IAD flight was on LATAM codeshare with American?

Were the luggage tags applied in IAD for SCL-PMC meaning you just needed to go directly to the bag drop line for LATAM on level three? Boarding pass for SCL-PMC?
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

rfinmdusa
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: iphone options for travel in Chile?

Postby rfinmdusa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:52 pm

I was checked in at IAD on LATAM from IAD to PMC. My luggage had PMC stickers on them and the guy at the counter at Dulles said my bags were checked to PMC. He said I needed to go through customs at SCL but my bags were checked through to PMC. The flights were IAD to LIM to SCl to PMC. Every airplane I boarded had LATAM painted on them. The bags arrived the next day and I was staying in Puerto Montt the first night I arrived so it wasn't a serious problem. Today I went to the airport in Castro and asked why I could not book the flight to Castro from Santiago. The lady said there is mostly just one flight a day from Santiago to Castro so I must have chosen days that there was no flight from Santiago to Castro. Castro (WCA) is on Chiloe and a lot shorter drive to our property than PMC. There are also 3 rental car agencies in WCA, Hertz Europcar and West.

Heres another fun fact to anyone flying into PMC. 6 times I have flown into Puerto Montt airport and every time I have reserved a subcompact SUV. They do not have sub compact SUVs in PMC and 6 times they have said the sub compact was late, broken or whatever and they upgrade me to a regular SUV for free.

rfinmdusa
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: iphone options for travel in Chile?

Postby rfinmdusa » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Another fun fact after a great day and a quarter bottle of scotch whiskey.
I REALLY LOVE THIS COUNTRY AND THE PEOPLE IN IT!

papageno
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:46 pm
Location: Los Angeles & Los Lagos

Re: iphone options for travel in Chile?

Postby papageno » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:41 pm

rfinmdusa wrote:I was checked in at IAD on LATAM from IAD to PMC. My luggage had PMC stickers on them and the guy at the counter at Dulles said my bags were checked to PMC. He said I needed to go through customs at SCL but my bags were checked through to PMC. The flights were IAD to LIM to SCl to PMC. Every airplane I boarded had LATAM painted on them. The bags arrived the next day and I was staying in Puerto Montt the first night I arrived so it wasn't a serious problem. Today I went to the airport in Castro and asked why I could not book the flight to Castro from Santiago. The lady said there is mostly just one flight a day from Santiago to Castro so I must have chosen days that there was no flight from Santiago to Castro. Castro (WCA) is on Chiloe and a lot shorter drive to our property than PMC. There are also 3 rental car agencies in WCA, Hertz Europcar and West.

Heres another fun fact to anyone flying into PMC. 6 times I have flown into Puerto Montt airport and every time I have reserved a subcompact SUV. They do not have sub compact SUVs in PMC and 6 times they have said the sub compact was late, broken or whatever and they upgrade me to a regular SUV for free.


Which rental car agency at PMC?

User avatar
FrankPintor
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1151
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:53 pm
Location: Guayaquil, Ecuador

Re: iphone options for travel in Chile?

Postby FrankPintor » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:00 am

rfinmdusa wrote:The WOM SIM works in the iphone5s. The WOM card I bought at the mall in Puerto Montt could not get activated at the mall so i went to the WOM store a couple blocks from the mall. I get a good signal in Puerto Montt and Ancud. No signal from WOM at my property. I also signed up for the ATT $10/day plan and I get a signal at my property from Entel. My next plan is to see if an Entel SIM will work in the 5s and wait till I get home to see if ATT has placed a lien on my house.

Yes, an Entel SIM worked in my 5s (A1533). Entel had really small prepaid data packages though, it was quite frustrating. I was able to get a postpaid 5GB plan, but very expensive compared to elsewhere in LatAm.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

rfinmdusa
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: iphone options for travel in Chile?

Postby rfinmdusa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:42 am

The free upgrade to a regular SUV has happened with multiple rental agencies. If I remember correctly I've used Hertz, Alamo, Budget, maybe another and this time Econorent. After getting the upgrade this time I scanned the parking lot at the airport where they have the rental cars and did not see a small SUV anywhere. I'm considering getting a Suzuki Jimmy for when we start coming down for months at a time and have really been trying to get a subcompact rental chichis why I keep trying different rental companies. When I scanned the parking lot I was trying to figure out which rental agency had a Jimmy or 2 door Grand Vitara so I could use that company next trip. I rented a Jimmy in Costa Rica, its kind of a outdated and gets poor gas milage but has a pretty big fun factor.

Thanks for the intel on Entel.

Harry2017
Rank: Chile Forum Full Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:49 pm

Re: iphone options for travel in Chile?

Postby Harry2017 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:23 pm

hi guys,
what is the most monthly cost effective prepaid plan?
that includes some data good enough for net browsing whatsapp etc.
are there better options than claro?
thanks


Return to “Lobby”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests