Is it time to swap your Mac for a Window's laptop?

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Re: Is it time to swap your Mac for a Window's laptop?

Postby admin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:26 am

yea, I bought one of the new lenova thinkpads, and the keys started wearing out in like 8 months. I have never had a keyboard on a laptop wear out that fast, or any keyboard for that matter. that is besides the stupid white list lock out that does not for example let you change your wireless cards. Had another lenova that the screen cracked, while in a case. too flexiable a body. never touch another one again. they ran the thinkpad name in to the ground after buying the name from IBM.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

gregf

Postby gregf » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:30 am

Yeah I had an IBM Thinkpad in college and it was rock solid. Nothing like that quality in this one. Its still superior to 99% of Wndows laptops out there for sure, but next to mac it comes up short, even considering I have a cheaper and better i7 skylake, 20 GB Ram, and Samsing Pro 950 PCIe SSD in it... I'm STILL going back to an 8GB macbook with a fanless design and tiny processor... says it all really!

AHusband

Postby AHusband » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:29 pm

I have been thinking the asme thing. Previous to 2010 I used a linux machine for coding/calculations/etc and a windows machine for productivity. That was clunky, and Macs had nice specs, so I got an OS X machine in early 2010 (at work). I then shifted over to OS X for my personal machine too.

Now my personal machine is old, and it seems that Macs are expensive and have noticeably worse hardware. Additionally, there is a limited ubuntu kernel available from within Windows 10.

I am not prepared to buy anything at this time, but I am really considering Windows.

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:41 pm

In case you don't need laptop-level mobility, there are Mac Minis in $600-800 range. We use them for over 5 years and they travelled to 5 countries with us. I hope they'll be updated this year at last.

gregf

Postby gregf » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:45 pm

If I needed a desktop-only I'd just build one from parts and run Ubuntu, which is really nice. But I need portability. I just don't know if I can adjust to the 'butterfly' keyboards in these new macbooks...

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:16 pm

They still have the previous design Macbook Pros in the lineup, maybe opt for a refurb from Apple.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Return to “Lobby”