Is it time to swap your Mac for a Window's laptop?

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

john

Is it time to swap your Mac for a Window's laptop?

Postby john » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Saw this interesting article and thought I would share it with other forumites.

Is it time to swap your Mac for a Windows laptop?
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... rface-book
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Space Cat

Re: Is it time to swap your Mac for a Window's laptop?

Postby Space Cat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:40 pm

Right, let's go for viruses, apps with ads, clunky UI and general lack of security because new MacBooks are not the best version in the series.

I'm watching this anti-MacBook outrage for 2 months. It's just a good theme for journalists and bloggers to exploit.

People pay lots of money to Apple not for "power" but for a secure Unix OS with a good UI and amazing professional apps from 3rd party developers. (Though iPhones beat even more powerful Androids in benchmarks because iOS and its apps are better optimized.)

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:44 pm

My next move is windows to linux
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:49 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:My next move is windows to linux

That's a good choice if you're using your computer for documents and browsing. But Linux lacks hundreds of professional apps due to its desktop market share.

frozen-north

Postby frozen-north » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:14 pm

....the story goes that too many developers wrote code referring to Windows 95 and 98 as “9*”

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... rface-book

I had never heard that one, I always have seen it mentioned as 'Windows 9x'.

..... In the end, I had to turn to Twitter for troubleshooting advice.

Twitter? Not to Google?? Duckduckgo? Any search engine?

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Space Cat wrote:

That's a good choice if you're using your computer for documents and browsing. But Linux lacks hundreds of professional apps due to its desktop market share.

I'll need to keep windows on a virtual machine for stuff I can't do on linux. But a lot of my work is server programming, where linux doesn't have a market share problem. If I wasn't programming on windows, I might not need it at all.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

jehturner

Postby jehturner » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Space Cat wrote:

Yeah, that argument could easily go either way, depending on your profession.

FrankPintor

Postby FrankPintor » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:28 pm

john wrote:Saw this interesting article and thought I would share it with other forumites.

Is it time to swap your Mac for a Windows laptop?

Hell, no!

The article is totally weird... guy complains first about price, then he lists a bunch of things wrong with the Surface:

* being bombarded with advertising
* flat battery when the thing should have been sleeping (MS still haven't got that right?)
* problems using multiple languages (showstopper for me and a lot of people on the forum, I imagine)

...then he shares with us that the Surface is actually the same price as a Macbook, even though it doesn't work very well, but maybe a different cheaper laptop which he didn't review might be a better choice? huh? wtf... :roll:

I use a VM for my Windows 7 work, swap between both Win7 and OSX, and have access to the same disk drive from both. Use Win and OSX shortcuts as appropriate, absolutely no problem, even though my MacBook is an old i5 one with a normal hard drive, it really does just work, even if a little slowly now. I need to upgrade to an i7 quad core 15" soon.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:41 am

Yea hard to get excited about just about any consumer laptop these days, without really dropping some cash on high end stuff.

Macs got high price tags, and the hardware is pretty ho hum to out right borring.

I dont know, the only real reason i have really found for a windows system vs. Linux is if you are in to gaming and need to realy max out the performance of the hardware / driver relationship. Perhaps some super special windows only siftware. Even that wall is coming down as gaming goes online.

Infact everything is going online, so the os job is starting to be boiled down to how secure it is and in making that online connection.

In that case, if you need real security even linux is not as secure as bsd, and bsd is the foundation under the mac os (still not as secure, but same grandparents).

All the open source apps in linux i use are avaible for windows and mac.

The problem with both windows and mac is really how the companies insist on them just puking your data all over the internet and everyday take away more and more control from the user to control that.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:31 am

Honestly i almost refurbished, my already refurbished, nearly 20 year old ibm t-21 this year when i needed a new laptop. Nothing i found on the market seemed to justify the prices they were asking for the quality. Half of the $1500+ laptops did not have much more to offer than the $200 netbooks, and somtimes the netbooks were better built and more compatiable with linux out of the box. Ignore prices when it comes to computers. They are meaningless.

I finally bought a dell alienware, simply because i always wanted one (since before dell bought them). Total overkill for what i do, but i had bought and discarded / retired two lap tops in 12 months for one problem or the other and decided i could not afford to keep buying crappy lap tops. i wanted something i could customize at the factory.

I dual boot it with linux and windows, but the windows is really for that rare case of something will abolutly only run on windows (which i think happens perhaps once every 2 years now or less). I tried running things in virtuel machines on windows, but sooner or later i always run in to windows not letting me acccess something, or failing to tell me what it is really doing. Not the same access to the metal as i am use to in linux.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:50 am

jehturner wrote:
Space Cat wrote:

Yeah, that argument could easily go either way, depending on your profession.

Everything that touches design, graphics, and audio production (Linux has very poor audio system and drivers) is out when you're moving to Linux. I used it on desktop for half a year.

I wish we had some alternative for macOS but it's simply a money issue. No company put so much money in Linux desktop as Apple and MS put in theirs. So I'm paying my tax to Apple now and hoping they will not break everything.

admin wrote:The problem with both windows and mac is really how the companies insist on them just puking your data all over the internet and everyday take away more and more control from the user to control that.

Apple is nowhere near Google and Windows 10 in terms data mining. I'm not their fan but it's a safest harbor of proprietary software because they're a hardware company. They don't get profit from analyzing their userbase like Google does on Android and in search.

For example from the iOS guide: https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS ... _Guide.pdf

"iOS also uses a randomized MAC address [...] so it can’t be used to persistently track a device by passive observers of Wi-Fi traffic."

Search: "Unlike most search engines, however, Apple’s search service does not use a persistent personal identifier across a user’s search history to tie queries to a user or device; instead, Apple devices use a temporary anonymous session ID for at most a 15-minute period before discarding that ID."
"Spotlight Suggestions never sends exact location, instead blurring the location on the client before sending."

iMessage: "Apple does not log messages or attachments, and their contents are protected by end-to-end encryption so no one but the sender and receiver can access them. Apple cannot decrypt the data."

FaceTime: "The audio/video contents of FaceTime calls are protected by end-to-end encryption, so no one but the sender and receiver can access them. Apple cannot decrypt the data."

"Location Services can be turned off using a single switch in Settings, or users can approve access for each app that uses the service. [...] Additionally, users are given fine-grained control over system services’ use of location information."

gregf

Postby gregf » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:10 am

So I jumped the Apple ship just recently. I do web development mostly so moving to Linux was no big deal and Ubuntu has been pretty solid for me to be honest, and has some great features. I had used a more hardcore Linux (arch) but was wasting way too much time configuring and scripting instead of working.

I bought a Thinkpad T460s, with the Full HD screen. It's a nice computer, love the typing, but the trackpoint (red dot) SUCKS compared to an X220 I use as a back up. They even removed the tap to click functionality for the trackpoint!

An the touchpad...

So, yeah. I've got the T460s on mercadolibre, and I'm going to pick up a Macbook (12") with the mid-range M processor (1.2). For what I do its more than enough muscle. its super light, super long battery life, which is perfect as I've been working all over out of the house since our second child was born :P

Thats the issue really. Mac hardware is awesome and made to work perfectly with their software. You leave mac, you lose that quality. That being said I do hope the LED touch panel dies very soon, its awful and gimmicky.

Return to “Lobby”