Wages for locals

General job offers and work related issues in Chile.
at46

Re: Wages for locals

Postby at46 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:34 pm

john wrote: That's because I identify with the chivalric exploits of Don Quixote. :wink:

For sure, the one who "stands for everything that is gentle, forlorn, pure, unselfish, and gallant. The parody has become a paragon" :) In Nabokov's precise summation.

john

Postby john » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:05 pm

at46 wrote:
john wrote: That's because I identify with the chivalric exploits of Don Quixote. :wink:

For sure, the one who "stands for everything that is gentle, forlorn, pure, unselfish, and gallant. The parody has become a paragon" :) In Nabokov's precise summation.

Nabokov was right! :)
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

MikieO

Postby MikieO » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:26 pm

http://carlosagaton.blogspot.cl/2016/05 ... meras.html

now we know, wages for locals are about to go DOWN..
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

john

Postby john » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:21 pm

MikieO wrote:http://carlosagaton.blogspot.cl/2016/05/pronto-comenzaran-las-primeras.html

How do I sign up to join the kibbutz? :)
--- Bertrand Russell

MikieO

Postby MikieO » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm

john wrote:
MikieO wrote:http://carlosagaton.blogspot.cl/2016/05/pronto-comenzaran-las-primeras.html

as well versed in Soviet literature as you are, I'd say it'll be a shoo in.
“Now, a lifetime of experience has left me bitter and cynical.” ~ Calvin & Hobbes

john

Postby john » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:44 pm

MikieO wrote:
john wrote:

as well versed in Soviet literature as you are, I'd say it'll be a shoo in.

After graduating from UCLA I spent the better part of a year traveling throughout Europe, the Middle-East and North Africa. While in Greece I met two Stanford University students who told me they were heading to Israel to work on a Kibbutz and so I decided to join them on their character-building quest. Such glorious memories (i.e., working my a** off for six weeks with only my copy of Das Kapital to boost my spirits at night). :)
--- Bertrand Russell

tiagoabner

Postby tiagoabner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:34 am

HybridAmbassador wrote:harry2017, if you are in the US legally as refugee, advise to stay put in the US. At least you have a job and earning a living, aren't you? If you still wanting to get out of US, head to Brazil, perhaps to Salvador da Bahia, its population more than 75% are of black African origin. Also heard that Brazil's inbound black descent refugees gets a warm welcome there. Not that Chile does not welcome blacks, but last time there visited the central market (mercado central) lots of small area serving hot soup and its owners employs many black foreigners. Spoke to black Dominicans and Cubans,Africans and Haitiens too, and they all not too happy in coming to Chile. Perhaps Brazil is better bet for you.(...)

While I'm quite new here as an user, I have been around for some time as a lurker and I'm going to drop my 2 cents about Brazil, even though it seems this topic has long since lost its focus on the OP's questions.

I am Brazilian and I have lived in Brazil around Salvador for over ten years and I strongly recommend against going to Brazil at any moment in the near future, specially for living there. We actually only stayed there this long because my wife was adamant regarding living near to her relatives, as it was the only reason we would even think about it.

Currently Brazil in passing through one of its biggest financial crisis ever. Almost thirteen years of leftist governments focused on populist programs and measures hindered the country from having investments in infrastructure and long term improvements. According to the World Work Association, 1 out of 3 new unemployed people this year will be a Brazilian who lost his job. Corruption is widespread to the point that over 50% of all politicians in the lower and higher houses are currently being investigated. The current Odebrecht corruption scandal is the greatest corruption scheme ever, bar none. The company's CEO signed an agreement last year to denounce everyone involved in the scandal in exchange for lower prison times and the total values in his "corruption and grafts" spreadsheet is way over 1 billion dollars.

There are also multiple other life quality issues. Currently Brazil is the top country in the world for murders considering the absolute value and one of the highest comparing the kill rate and the population. There were almost 300 murders last year in the city where I used to live and it had just over 300000 people living on it. Racism in Brazil runs deeply in the country's culture in a level that is way more present in the daily life, even though it is in a less explicit way than here on Chile. Even blacks are racists with blacks.

The Brazilian minimum wage is currently $300 and it is very unlikely for someone to earn much more than this unless it is for some sort of skilled work. We also have an amazing "cascading" tax system in which taxes will be charged multiple times over the same product between its production and its actual sale to the final consumer, which further lowers the actual purchasing power of the wages.

My tip regarding Brazil at this moment is: "Don't go there, unless you are completely, absolutely sure about what you're doing".

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:03 am

yea, I sort of had the same impression about brazil. It has all the hallmarks of a country clawing it's way out of a recession. Makes for a cheap vacation, but not sure anyone would want to wait say 10,20,30 years for it to recover. Life is too short.

Don't get me wrong. I loved Brazil. I found the people incredible. I am fascinated and want to explore a lot more of it. I just would never consider living there.

You know what it reminds me of, is Mexico in the 80's. They had these boom bust cycles, massive corruption scandals, and essentially a one party system that had been in power for decades. Not sure Mexico is a good example, as 30 years later they still never really got a handle on it; but, just the overall state of the country feels different.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:46 am

Things can change though, not in 5 or 10 years but maybe in 20 or 30 years Brazil will be kicking ass and Chile will be on a downturn. You never know.
In 2014/2015 I blogged abount my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Britkid wrote:Things can change though, not in 5 or 10 years but maybe in 20 or 30 years Brazil will be kicking ass and Chile will be on a downturn. You never know.

This has a tiny probability, there's too much inertia involved in country-sized systems. And Brazil is huge.

tiagoabner

Postby tiagoabner » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Britkid wrote:Things can change though, not in 5 or 10 years but maybe in 20 or 30 years Brazil will be kicking ass and Chile will be on a downturn. You never know.

This has a tiny probability, there's too much inertia involved in country-sized systems. And Brazil is huge.

This is perfectly correct. One of the causes for Brazilian issues is the famous "Brazilian way" mindset that's deeply ingrained in the people's minds. They are used and always expect to take advantage of whatever they can. It has been around since at least the 70s and it is unlikely to go away soon.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Looks like Brasil's hopes and demands to enter the US Visa Waiver Program is a pipe dream.

Interesting Chile has not been flooded by fleeing Brasilians vs. Haitians and Colombians.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Return to “Jobs in Chile and Work Related Issues in Chile”