Leaving Chile during Visa Limbo?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

Illogical Toaster

Leaving Chile during Visa Limbo?

Postby Illogical Toaster » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:24 pm

Howdy all,

Just a few small questions to try and avoid being deported from Chile. Haha, no biggie.

I came here on a tourist visa, then applied for a Temporary Residence/Work Contract Visa ("VISA TEMP. DOS CONTRATOS/HONORARIOS," as the paperwork says). I have the papers, downloaded from online, telling me to pay the fee and get my work permit card. So far, so good.

But I'm taking a trip out of the country after the original Tourist Visa expires. In the event that things move slowly at the immigration office and I haven't received my work permit by that time, will I be illegal? Or do the letter and application, which I think I might print copies of and take to the airport, allow me to leave and re-enter the country legally?

Also, will I get a new tourist visa when I re-enter?

If anyone could tell me where I stand, I'd appreciate it a lot!!

Illogical Toaster

Re: Leaving Chile during Visa Limbo?

Postby Illogical Toaster » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:45 pm

So, to simplify: can I leave Chile after my Tourist Visa has expired, having only the "en tramite" papers and no work permit?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:00 am

Yes.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

ExpatBob

Postby ExpatBob » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:02 pm

They still stamp you in as a tourist when you are en-tramite; nothing changes until you get that resident sticker in your passport.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:58 pm

You can leave and enter as you like , without renewing your tourist visa every 90 days. it is a common problem that immigration will take months to process an application, and we have never had a problem with any boarder pdi officials not recognizing the situation once explained.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

wiscondinavian

Postby wiscondinavian » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:59 am

admin wrote:You can leave and enter as you like , without renewing your tourist visa every 90 days. it is a common problem that immigration will take months to process an application, and we have never had a problem with any boarder pdi officials not recognizing the situation once explained.

In a similar, but different, situation: one of my friends who tried processing the work visa while he was traveling around Chile, but it has taken so long to process his visa (he didn't believe us when 4 months would be slightly hopeful estimate), he'd rather just keep traveling around Chile/South America.

Can he just leave and come back on a tourist visa? If he's expected to pay the visa by mid-November, but his "en tramite" papers originally said mid-September, will he have a problem doing a Mendoza run in October?

Illogical Toaster

Postby Illogical Toaster » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:04 am

Thanks for all the responses! You're all very helpful. Haha, this is a much more active board than many expat boards I've visited in the past!

I guess, to get to the (somewhat illicit) truth of the matter, I would really like to avoid paying that $190,000 Worker's Permit fee. (I am form the US.) I'd like to fly out with my en tramite papers, then return on a tourist visa and work a few more months here - certainly not long enough to recoup the $190,000 fee! And you all say that should be fine.

But I do worry about the bottom of the paper, where it says I have to pay for my Worker's Permit by late September. The due date is clearly there, and my tourist visa-renewing trip is in October, well after it. Won't the PDI o somebody be able to check if I've paid the fee? Won't they think that I'm in the country illegally if, despite the en tramite papers, I clearly have no intention of paying the fee on time?

Or will they not even know what immigration is doing and just assume everything is fine?

wiscondinavian

Postby wiscondinavian » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:37 am

Illogical Toaster wrote:Thanks for all the responses! You're all very helpful. Haha, this is a much more active board than many expat boards I've visited in the past!

I guess, to get to the (somewhat illicit) truth of the matter, I would really like to avoid paying that $190,000 Worker's Permit fee. (I am form the US.) I'd like to fly out with my en tramite papers, then return on a tourist visa and work a few more months here - certainly not long enough to recoup the $190,000 fee! And you all say that should be fine.

But I do worry about the bottom of the paper, where it says I have to pay for my Worker's Permit by late September. The due date is clearly there, and my tourist visa-renewing trip is in October, well after it. Won't the PDI o somebody be able to check if I've paid the fee? Won't they think that I'm in the country illegally if, despite the en tramite papers, I clearly have no intention of paying the fee on time?

Or will they not even know what immigration is doing and just assume everything is fine?

¡ojo! I taked to extranjeria for my friend, and while her visa is actually "ortorgada", they told me that she should desisitir/archivar the visa before she could leave the country. I'm not sure if it's the same for the permiso para trabajar-visa en tramite. Supposedly you'll have 10 days to leave the country once you do this, but they could give you more.

Illogical Toaster

Postby Illogical Toaster » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:42 am

Hmm...would a Mendoza run help me, too? If I reset my tourist visa, could I use that instead of the en tramite papers? Or will they want the work visa papers because they know I've applied?

Question about leaving the country on en tramite without paying for Work Permit on time still stands.

ExpatBob

Postby ExpatBob » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:04 pm

Why does everyone spend thousands of dollars to get down here and then want to cheap out on the other required fees??? You're not the first gringo to think they can scam their way out of a government fee, and I'm sure you won't be the first to be told to take a hike either. Fork up the Lukas, weon :)

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:55 pm

ExpatBob wrote:Why does everyone spend thousands of dollars to get down here and then want to cheap out on the other required fees??? You're not the first gringo to think they can scam their way out of a government fee, and I'm sure you won't be the first to be told to take a hike either. Fork up the Lukas, weon :)

Ha,ha,ha Weon is for Boludo ? but to cheap out, you save a few pennies to your advantage.!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

papageno

Postby papageno » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:13 pm

My employer could learn from this thread:
Don't trip over dollars to pick up dimes. :twisted:

Return to “Legal Issues”