Good place to buy a used car

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
agarwalgr

Good place to buy a used car

Postby agarwalgr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi - I am looking to buy a used car (to travel) in Chile. I have been through the other forum posts and kind of understand the process to get the car.

However, would anyone recommend a good place: car dealer / web forum to buy a used car reliably.

Any advice will be very helpful.

Thanks.

Andres

Re: Good place to buy a used car

Postby Andres » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
Blessed are they who have nothing to say and can not be persuaded to say it.

jamie_m

Postby jamie_m » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:08 pm

agarwalgr

Postby agarwalgr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:09 pm

Aaah. Thanks. Did not know there was a wiki! Thank you Andres.

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:28 pm

I bought a used car from Auto Parque or something like that and it was opposite Plaza Oeste a large mall in Santiago. It's a large used car yard and the person I bought from was reliable, but you take pot luck with that or use your instincts, since the card are being sold by individuals not the owner of the yard. You might want to state where in Chile you are going to need to buy the car. Would it be Santiago or are you entering the country at a different point.
In 2014/2015 I blogged abount my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

agarwalgr

Postby agarwalgr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Thanks @Jamie_M.

@BritKid - My plan is to travel around Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Bolivia and Peru. Ideally I would have liked to buy a car somewhere in Uruguay and go down south to Patagonia before entering Chile from South and up north to Peru.

However, I read that its easier, as a foreigner, to buy a car in Chile. (Argentina has its own problem of not being able to take a car outside Argentina as a foreigner) So I was thinking of buying the car in Chile in Santiago.

If you think its better somewhere else I would love to hear that aspect as well.

Also if I may ask another question - Is it easy (in terms of legal process) to sell a car from Chile in Peru? Would you have any idea?

Thanks for your response again.

Andres

Postby Andres » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:21 pm

agarwalgr wrote:Aaah. Thanks. Did not know there was a wiki! Thank you Andres.

No worries.
There is a link to the wiki near the upper right corner of each forum webpage.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
Blessed are they who have nothing to say and can not be persuaded to say it.

agarwalgr

Postby agarwalgr » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:29 pm

Found it. Thanks @Andres.

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:02 pm

If you haven't caught it already you can read a thread I did on a personal experience of buying a car in Chile. topic11587.html
I don't really have any knowledge to add to your specific situation or questions though. There might be a few who would know. I would try Lonely Planet thorn tree as well or other travel forum if not already done for this type of enquiry as this forum is more ex pat living in one place than travel.
In 2014/2015 I blogged abount my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

cybersniffer

Postby cybersniffer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:44 pm

agarwalgr wrote:Hi - I am looking to buy a used car (to travel) in Chile. I have been through the other forum posts and kind of understand the process to get the car.

However, would anyone recommend a good place: car dealer / web forum to buy a used car reliably.

Any advice will be very helpful.

Thanks.

one of my friend bought a used car from http://www.autocraftchile.com/, overall experience was good, so you can also give them a try.
aston martin financing - Woodsidecredit.com

ExpatBob

Postby ExpatBob » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:58 am

DO NOT BUY A CAR IN URUGUAY.

Read that 50 times. Repeat. Memorize. Chant. Meditate. Then repeat it again.

I want you saying DO NOT BUY A CAR IN URUGUAY so many times that you say it in your sleep, and you say it in your dreams, and everyone in your dreams says it back to you so much that you wake up screaming. Because the nightmare that you have this way will be so many degrees exponentially less creepy and less stressful than the nightmare of actually buying a car in Uruguay.

Why, might you ask?

First, because activity of all forms is banned in Uruguay, and that not actually banned by law is banned by the suspicious mortal fear Uruguayan society has for anyone who might get things done and (gasp!) make a profit. As such they must import everything but cows, cement, and plumber's epoxy, and to do that, they charge a minimum of 60% import duty + 22% VAT, plus whatever additional fee the officially registered import monopoly holder (yes, that's how it works there) wants to charge, so what you would pay for a BMW in Chile, you would get a VW Gol in Uruguay. Then there is the crappy useless insurance which costs a lot, and the annual patente costs, which cost a lot. Unless you can find a friend in Colonia who will go with you to the police station and lie and say you live there, so you can get cut-rate patente costs. Not to mention the fact that getting your stack of paperwork done in Uruguay will take months, seriously. I am not kidding. You will think I am kidding, and then you will see, and then you will want to shoot yourself in the head. Several times.

Just for an example, even the most recent car "made in Uruguay" to save costs was the Mahindra Cimarron, which is the ancient old form of old military surplus Indian jeep, sent to UY in TKD form and assembled locally. As it was built on the Willys Overland (yes, 1926!) chassis with 4 wheel leaf spring suspension, it was mega-easy to assemble, so much that even a ham-handed knuckledragging hydrocephalic troglodite idiot could do it, which means that the Uruguayans failed miserably at it. And when it was all said and done, you could buy one for about US$20,000 new, which was the same price you'd pay for the modern (and better) Mahindra pickups in Paraguay and Chile. Only the Uruguayan one was like driving an empty metal lunchbox, and the other ones had air conditioning and modern stuff inside. If you were mechanically inclined, not averse to rewiring the whole thing to get it to work right (the turn signals would set the fusebox on fire), and OK with driving something that even the Eastern Bloc would sneer at (said turn signals were also on the wrong side of the steering column), the Cimarron was an invincible behemoth of a truck.

But at some point they kind of got tired of actually putting the things together and stocking parts in the warehouse, because they had to answer the phone and grab things off of shelves, and field all the complaints of the fuse boxes catching fire when you use the turn signals, and fix said wiring problems ("fixed" Uruguayan wiring??? run screaming as fast as you can run) all of which involved waking up and actually going to work, and besides, someone somewhere must be making a profit on these things being built, right? So let's strike and sink the factory into the ground so we can get unemployment! And then we'll sue them to boot!

So they just kind of stopped making them.

Best country to buy a car in, in South America: Chile, hands down. Fact. Read that 50 times. Repeat. Memorize. Chant. Meditate.

How do I know? I've actually done it both places, I owned a Cimarron, and researched all the other car ownership crap in Argentina and Paraguay to boot.

Chile. Chile. Chile.

Also my advice buying a car in Chile is check the expats first. Chileans are like, "Oil? What's that?" and "Oh, I drive with 4x4 on all the time because it's safer. But I just don't understand why I have replaced the transfer case 3 times and it keeps eating through tires," and then will spend 500.000 pesos on crazy snake oil to stop the engine from burning itself up when all it needed was a quart or two of 10W30, 50.000 kilometers ago.

If you are still looking for a car next year, I might be tempted to part with my beloved BobMobile, but I am keeping it until I have made my way to Tierra del Fuego.

dmwbmw2

Postby dmwbmw2 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:18 am

Having just survived a year and a half in Uruguay and now back in Chile, I really enjoyed your story.

Those who havent lived through it probably think its an exaggeration, but if anything its tamed down from the reality that is Uruguay.

Return to “Travel in Chile”