are charges for rental property damage based on "useful life"?

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

thisisreallycomplicated

Re: are charges for rental property damage based on "useful life"?

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Gloria wrote:Under rentals.

That might help. If I could find the actual laws, even if they aren't exactly followed, that should tell me what I need to know. Does anyone know where I could find them?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:15 pm

serebella wrote:I have not really had problems with deposit money being returned to me from 3 rental properties in the last 3 years. I may have been lucky, and I may be a tad niaive, but I believe that if you as the tenant are decent with the landlord, pay your rent on time, look after the property, admit damage when it occurs and offer to pay for it, etc, then landlords/people are invariably decent in return.

That's been my experience, at least back in Michigan. And that's how I like to do things. But a lot of things are different here, so I'm trying to understand what my legal obligations are, just in case. If my landlord is reasonable when I move out (he typically has been, so far), I won't have any problems. But I've misjudged people before, especially in Chile because it's a different culture. So I'm just being cautious.

And now that I think about it, I misjudged lots of people back in Michigan too. I used to rent out part of my house, just after college. And I trusted the wrong people, way too many times. One of them should be out of prison by now:)
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:05 am

Heavy reading but here it is:

Ley 18101
https://www.leychile.cl/Navegar?idNorma=29526

modified in 2003
11-ABR-2003 Ley 19866
https://www.leychile.cl/Navegar?idNorma ... 2003-04-11
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:21 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Heavy reading but here it is:

Ley 18101
https://www.leychile.cl/Navegar?idNorma=29526

modified in 2003
11-ABR-2003 Ley 19866
https://www.leychile.cl/Navegar?idNorma ... 2003-04-11

Thanks! I can also use this to help work on my horrible Spanish:)

Gloria

Postby Gloria » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:22 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:Someday I'm going to move out of the house I've been renting, and I'm trying to figure out what I can expect to owe (if anything) for damages. I know how it works in the US, but I don't know about Chile. For example, if I completely destroy one of those cheap bathroom cabinets with a typical useful life of 15 years. And it's 10 years old. Do I need to pay the whole cost of a comparable new one? Or do I just need to pay 1/3 of the cost, since it has 5 years left of its 15 year expected life?

I'm assuming you gave a deposit ( one month rent) when you made a rental contract so why are you so concerned about how much you are "expected to owe" when you leave? That's what the deposit is for. Now, keep in mind that you must give a written notice 30-60 days in advance to the landlord.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.

jehturner

Postby jehturner » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:53 am

I think it's just going to depend on the individual landlord whether you get most of it back easily, but no harm in knowing any relevant regulations.

Oh, hadn't spotted this:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:Was it expensive to have installed, or did you do it yourself? I know the cabinets are cheap, if anything does need replacing. But I have no idea what labor costs, or if I could find someone who knows what they're doing. When I asked around, to see if anyone knew a good plumber, everyone just said no:(
That was 150 mil for a 3-door cabinet because the original cabinet doors are no longer available and have to be replicated using some special paint job (which is actually almost indistinguishable from the original -- no, I don't think they're having me on...). However, the guy suddenly called me back after 2-3 weeks at about 7PM to ask if he could come and install it *now*. Since someone was coming to do the floor the next day and we wouldn't be able to work around them for a few days, I said OK and rushed over there. Cutting a long story short, in the middle of the job (maybe 8:30PM) the cabinet-maker suddenly declared that he needed a plumber to remove and reconnect the taps and drainage. So I ended up doing all the plumbing myself in real time, including running back to the other house, several miles awy, to grab a blowtorch in order to remove an obstructing drainage fitting from a down-pipe, and didn't get home for dinner till about 11PM. And after all that there turned out to be a slight forwards slope on the sink after the supporting cabinet was fitted, which had to be "rectified" by jamming the back down with 2 screws in the neighbouring counter-tops, daubed in the obligatory silicone, of course. Just hope it doesn't pop up and loosen the conical grommets under the tap... Argh. That's without going into the jammed stopcock.

If you think it's worrying being the tenant, imagine someone having control of your house, ie. 80% of what you own (and have personally done months of hard work on and spent years paying for), and you only having a few hundred lucas in return... It wouldn't be all that hard for someone to cause millions of pesos of damage. Better hope to get someone reasonably reliable in again! But I know what you mean; I used to worry about this a bit too (now I rent from my employer it's less of an issue).

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:26 am

jehturner wrote:That was 150 mil for a 3-door cabinet because the original cabinet doors are no longer available and have to be replicated using some special paint job (which is actually almost indistinguishable from the original -- no, I don't think they're having me on...).

Was that 150 for the cabinets + installation?

jehturner wrote:However, the guy suddenly called me back after 2-3 weeks at about 7PM to ask if he could come and install it *now*. Since someone was coming to do the floor the next day and we wouldn't be able to work around them for a few days, I said OK and rushed over there. Cutting a long story short, in the middle of the job (maybe 8:30PM) the cabinet-maker suddenly declared that he needed a plumber to remove and reconnect the taps and drainage. So I ended up doing all the plumbing myself in real time, including running back to the other house, several miles awy, to grab a blowtorch in order to remove an obstructing drainage fitting from a down-pipe, and didn't get home for dinner till about 11PM. And after all that there turned out to be a slight forwards slope on the sink after the supporting cabinet was fitted, which had to be "rectified" by jamming the back down with 2 screws in the neighbouring counter-tops, daubed in the obligatory silicone, of course. Just hope it doesn't pop up and loosen the conical grommets under the tap... Argh. That's without going into the jammed stopcock.

That's the kind of stuff I'm trying to avoid. If I do need to fix anything, I'd rather just pay my landlord for what it *should* cost me, and avoid any unforeseen complications. Then he'll probably just keep the money, and leave it as is.

jehturner wrote:If you think it's worrying being the tenant, imagine someone having control of your house, ie. 80% of what you own (and have personally done months of hard work on and spent years paying for), and you only having a few hundred lucas in return... It wouldn't be all that hard for someone to cause millions of pesos of damage. Better hope to get someone reasonably reliable in again! But I know what you mean; I used to worry about this a bit too (now I rent from my employer it's less of an issue).

I bought a house just after college, and rented out rooms while I lived there. So I can sympathize. I had a dream one night back then, that my tenants/roommates were in trouble. Then the next day I found out one of them was suspected of setting fires in the university dorms. He was actually a good tenant though, and wrote me from prison to apologize for having to break his lease. And one of my best tenants was a stripper, who never had trouble paying her rent:)

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:36 am

Gloria wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:Someday I'm going to move out of the house I've been renting, and I'm trying to figure out what I can expect to owe (if anything) for damages. I know how it works in the US, but I don't know about Chile. For example, if I completely destroy one of those cheap bathroom cabinets with a typical useful life of 15 years. And it's 10 years old. Do I need to pay the whole cost of a comparable new one? Or do I just need to pay 1/3 of the cost, since it has 5 years left of its 15 year expected life?

I'm assuming you gave a deposit ( one month rent) when you made a rental contract so why are you so concerned about how much you are "expected to owe" when you leave? That's what the deposit is for.

Somehow this reminds of the old joke "I can't be broke, because I still have checks":) The goal here, is to get some of it back. Or at least not owe any more.

Gloria

Postby Gloria » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:03 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Gloria wrote:

I'm assuming you gave a deposit ( one month rent) when you made a rental contract so why are you so concerned about how much you are "expected to owe" when you leave? That's what the deposit is for.

Somehow this reminds of the old joke "I can't be broke, because I still have checks":) The goal here, is to get some of it back. Or at least not owe any more.

Actually the joke is on you. After 3 pages of answers and questions and non of them satisfactory I came to the conclusion that you want to have your cake and eat it too. In real life and most cases it's not possible but you are a big boy and you'll figure it out on your own, you don't need our help....that by the way is free!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Gloria wrote:
Gloria wrote:

Actually the joke is on you. After 3 pages of answers and questions and non of them satisfactory I came to the conclusion that you want to have your cake and eat it too. In real life and most cases it's not possible but you are a big boy and you'll figure it out on your own, you don't need our help....that by the way is free!

I think you misinterpreted what I wrote, because your replies don't make any sense to me. It's like we're having 2 different conversations. And I don't mean anything bad by that, because it happens a lot. I think it's just different conversational styles. I read this book a long time ago, called "That's Not What I Meant!", that explains it pretty well:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/771 ... t_I_Meant_
Often it's not what you say, but how you say it, that counts. Deborah Tannen, the internationally-acclaimed expert on communication and author of the bestselling YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND, will help you recognize your own conversational style and how it meshes or clashes with the styles of others.

Anyway, I'm just trying to understand my worst case legal obligations, so I can stop worrying about it.

thisisreallycomplicated

Postby thisisreallycomplicated » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:00 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:And one of my best tenants was a stripper, who never had trouble paying her rent:)

In case anyone is jumping to the wrong conclusion here, I meant she made really good money at her job (not from me). She was very attractive, and a nice person.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:54 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:And one of my best tenants was a stripper, who never had trouble paying her rent:)

In case anyone is jumping to the wrong conclusion here, I meant she made really good money at her job (not from me). She was very attractive, and a nice person.

Hey, I had one of those roommates back in my University days. Yep, they always pay rent on time, in cash, with lot's of small bills. They also know how to fix a dull party on a moments notice.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Return to “Legal Issues”