FATCA repeal introduced to the house of reps

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
john

Re: Insight Into IRS Approach to Offshore Evasion

Postby john » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:36 pm

JHyre wrote:Fascinating (for me anyway) story of tax evasion, banker marketing info to governments for personal profit and disappearing, along with some insight into how the IRS goes after offshore evasion. For the more technically minded, the linked articles are very good. In particular, one of those articles in turn links to a PDF of an IRS agent's rather thorough report on how the IRS views offshore evasion, and why it needed (and received) broad powers to go after it. I tried to attach a PDF of that report, but it was too big, I can email it for those who are interested.

It could also be that my concept of "fun" reading is warped. To skip the initial tax jargon, scroll down about 20% of the way to the Greenfield story, just past the "Greenfield decision".

http://procedurallytaxing.com/grinches- ... mons-tale/

John Hyre

Very interesting Article! Thanks for sharing. However, the "How Grinch Stole Christmas" reference more accurately reflects the dubious activities of offshore tax evasion scam artists (and their "hear no evil, see no evil" clientele). :wink:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

JHyre

Re: FATCA repeal introduced to the house of reps

Postby JHyre » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:12 pm

john,

I think the writer was writing with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Professors of tax law are generally not fans of tax evasion. Especially professors who worked for the IRS for 20 or so years.

Interesting stuff for certain values of "interesting".

John Hyre

john

Postby john » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:36 pm

JHyre wrote:john,

I think the writer was writing with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Professors of tax law are generally not fans of tax evasion. Especially professors who worked for the IRS for 20 or so years.

Interesting stuff for certain values of "interesting".

John Hyre

John, I accept your interpretation. Always appreciate receiving interesting stuff from you! :wink:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:18 am

That was a pretty good read. Makes me wonder how many millions of dollars the irs spends to get 1 dollar of tax revenue, especialy the high cost cases involving foreign jurisdictions.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Zenth

Postby Zenth » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:21 am

Statistically, the IRS collects about ten dollars for every dollar it spends to audit someone..

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:40 am

Yea it is super cheap to send a letter to grandma for a little more info about her big win in vegas, but once you cross international lines all the costs go up. Thus, facta designed to get all the private finacial institutions to just email them every ones info. Even people that are not being audited nor even american citizens.

I had a look at a few international banks and brokers around the world last year. Almost all of them require a filing a tax withholding declaration for the u.s. irs, regardless of your nationality, to open an account. That brings u.s. over reach to a whole new level.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:49 am

Here is an article about trump repealing facta. What is interesting is the comperative stats of financial health of american expats vs. Other expats.

I would tend to say that our own experience with our clients tends to follow that pattern. Never examined it closely.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1391501 ... fatca.html

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:10 am

this is worth quoting at length, from the irs report to congress, from the tax payer advocacy office yearly report. I have not read the full report, but this from the intro to the intro:
https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/report ... ull-report

FOREIGN ACCOUNT TAX COMPLIANCE ACT (FATCA): The IRS’s Approach to
International Tax Administration Unnecessarily Burdens Impacted Parties, Wastes
Resources, and Fails to Protect Taxpayer Rights
Problem
The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) was passed in 2010 in response to IRS and
congressional concerns that U.S. taxpayers were not fully disclosing the extent of financial assets held
abroad. The concerns giving rise to FATCA are understandable. Nevertheless, the IRS’s approach to
implementing FATCA and related international provisions has created significant compliance burdens
and risk exposures to a variety of impacted parties including non-resident aliens, U.S. citizens living
abroad, and foreign financial institutions (FFIs).
Analysis
The IRS has adopted an enforcement-oriented regime with respect to international taxpayers. Its
operative assumption is that all such taxpayers should be suspected of fraudulent activity, an outlook
that causes the IRS to mistrust stakeholders, dismiss useful comments and suggestions, and misallocate
resources. This perspective has resulted in the IRS unnecessarily freezing over 102,000 refund claims of
non-resident aliens, many of which were filed by low risk international students, and proposing Internal
Revenue Code (IRC) Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 regulations that would explicitly make the availability
of credits and refunds to covered taxpayers contingent on the actions of withholding agents. U.S.
expatriates have also reported suffering significant banking “lock-out” as a result of FATCA, while all
U.S. citizens are potentially subject to the revocation or denial of passports in the case of certain tax
liabilities. FFIs also continue to face regulatory uncertainty, reputational risk, and ongoing expenditures
regarding FATCA and related information reporting obligations. The IRS could achieve better results
and reduce hardships placed on taxpayers and FFIs if it took a collaborative, service-based approach
that focused on identifying the relatively few bad actors and recognizing the good faith efforts of the
compliant majority.
Recommendations
The National Taxpayer Advocate recommends that the IRS implement policies and procedures for
reviewing and issuing Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 refund claims that mirror those processes currently in
place with respect to domestic taxpayers under IRC § 31 and related regulations; adopt a same country
exception that excludes from FATCA coverage financial accounts held in the country in which a U.S.
taxpayer is a bona fide resident; protect taxpayers from harsh application of the law allowing revocations
and denials of passports by broadly interpreting discretionary exclusions, encouraging expansive
definitions of humanitarian exceptions, and allowing for an administrative appeal and notification of
TAS assistance before passport revocation or denial occurs; and reduce burdens on FFIs by adopting
a collaborative model of tax administration that encourages FFIs to correct erroneous reporting and
focuses on providing the clarity and consistent guidance needed for reasonable, cost-effective compliance
with FATCA.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:50 am

Take a look at this chart. 2016 highest year on record for renouncing citizenship, and I hear rummors there is backlog of months to renounce at a lot of embassies around the world. which breaks the old record of 2015,2014,2013, etc.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ecord-high

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:01 am

some repeal lobby FATCA getting under way.

https://www.bna.com/antifatca-group-pus ... 982083502/

Trump could kill this with an executive order, killing the IGAs

paladin

Postby paladin » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:56 pm

why would anyone, out of choice, want to be a US citizen ?

gregf

Postby gregf » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:24 pm

Boy i hate paying taxes.

I wish we had a flat tax. I can't stand digging through paper and googling days to try to figure out whats what. The IRS docs are almost always to nonspecific to give me any sort of peace of mind that im reporting correctly and not screwing myself over in some shape.

Return to “Chile Investment, business, and Money Issues”