The State of the States

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

at46

Re: The State of the States

Postby at46 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:41 pm

john wrote:Yes, both parties feed at the same Wall Street lobbyists' trough.

In the case of Dems, it's not just Wall Street though. It's a clear pay to play plus funneling the money of the American government, just look at the Clinton Foundation contributors. Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Brunei, Australia, Norway, Sweden, The Netherlands, and that's just the governments.

john

Postby john » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:33 pm

at46 wrote:

In the case of Dems, it's not just Wall Street though. It's a clear pay to play plus funneling the money of the American government, just look at the Clinton Foundation contributors. Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Brunei, Australia, Norway, Sweden, The Netherlands, and that's just the governments.

Good point! Incidentally, the Saudis also gave $10 million to the George H.W. Bush Library.
Moreover, those egregious pay-to-play conflicts of interest may soon pale in comparison to the massive conflicts of interest that are about to unfold once Trump assumes office.
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

at46

Postby at46 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:34 pm

john wrote:
at46 wrote:

Good point! Incidentally, the Saudis also gave $10 million to the George H.W. Bush Library.
Moreover, those egregious pay-to-play conflicts of interest may soon pale in comparison to the massive conflicts of interest that are about to unfold once Trump assumes office.

Can I borrow your crystal ball? Or are you speaking as an un-diagnosed Stockholm syndrome victim? :)

at46

Postby at46 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:36 pm

john wrote:
at46 wrote:

Also, was that Library used to fund the Bush's election campaign? Apples to apples, pls.

john

Postby john » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:43 pm

at46 wrote:
john wrote:
at46 wrote:

Also, was that Library used to fund the Bush's election campaign? Apples to apples, pls.

Cannot answer that question. My view is that all foreign donations/contributions of that magnitude (government or otherwise) are intended to curry favour...thus, I fail to see any real distinction between those and US corporate contributions to political candidates re-election campaigns or PACs.
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Postby john » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:54 pm

at46 wrote:
john wrote:
at46 wrote:

Can I borrow your crystal ball? Or are you speaking as an un-diagnosed Stockholm syndrome victim? :)

Sorry, it's booked up. Having visited that beautiful city on a number of occasions, the only Stockholm syndrome symptoms I have ever experienced were as a result of having been kidnapped and placed in bondage by two beautiful blondes. :wink: For some reason that whole episode repeatedly occurs in my dreams. :)
--- Bertrand Russell

Andres

Postby Andres » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:46 pm

john wrote:However, on the major economic issues their views are quite divergent, as pointed out in today's NYTimes opinion piece by Paul Krugman.

Ja! Krugman is a fool. You do yourself no service by referring to him as an authority.
There might APPEAR to be differences between Republican and Democrat views on economic issues, but there is really very little difference.
Their agendas vary only slightly.
Both have the view that private property does not exist; they can appropriate as much as they want to pursue their agendas and are supposedly morally justified in doing so.
They both do not have a problem bankrupting the country with deficits.
They both enjoy pursuing ongoing wars.
I could go on.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
Blessed are they who have nothing to say and can not be persuaded to say it.

fraggle092

Postby fraggle092 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:06 pm

Andres wrote:I could go on.

Oh, I'm sure you all will. At even greater length.
Après moi, le déluge

john

Postby john » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:22 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Andres wrote:I could go on.

Oh, I'm sure you all will. At even greater length.

Naw, I'm done with this topic. :)
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Postby john » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:59 am

john wrote:
at46 wrote:
john wrote:
at46 wrote:

Cannot answer that question. My view is that all foreign donations/contributions of that magnitude (government or otherwise) are intended to curry favour...thus, I fail to see any real distinction between those and US corporate contributions to political candidates re-election campaigns or PACs.

As a footnote, I have been unable to find any evidence that substantiates Clinton Foundation money was used to fund Hillary Clinton's election campaigns.
--- Bertrand Russell

john

Postby john » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:41 pm

Just read this insightful opinion piece by Joseph Stiglitz...

Trumpian Uncertainty
http://www.readersupportednews.org/opin ... ncertainty
--- Bertrand Russell

at46

Postby at46 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:46 pm

john wrote: I have been unable to find any evidence that substantiates Clinton Foundation money was used to fund Hillary Clinton's election campaigns.

Have you tried WP or NYT? :)

Return to “Lobby”