Can you afford to live in Chile????

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
Gloria

Re: Can you afford to live in Chile????

Postby Gloria » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:08 am

Space Cat wrote:
AHusband wrote:I think it has been stated elsewhere, but I think you need 20m CLP (30k USD) per year to live in Chile and if you want to be international/etc you need 40m CLP (60k USD) per year.

Huh?

In USD for 2016, Valdivia:
$300-400 for food for 2 people (it depends on frequency of going out to eat)
$600 rent (a new warm house in a good district, with gastos)
$130 ISAPRE (medical insurance)
$100-300 other expenses (like big purchases once in 3-4 months)
Total: less than US$1500 per month

It's in the ballpark including gourmet meals and fine wine.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:18 am

papageno wrote:Transportation?
Cable/satellite TV/internet?
Uncovered medical expenses?

I don't have a car and the city is small enough to walk. So it's $2500 CLP for a taxi once in a week to get a bunch of bags back from Lider.

Internet subscription is included in the rent number. We don't own a TV (Internet is enough for everything).

Uncovered medical expenses are tiny and go into "$100-300" section. (But, well, I'm close to 30, it could be more for an older person.)
Gloria wrote:It's in the ballpark including gourmet meals and fine wine.

Sorry, I forgot - I don't drink. So the food costs could be higher with some alcohol consumption.

Gloria

Postby Gloria » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:00 pm

Space Cat wrote:Sorry, I forgot - I don't drink. So the food costs could be higher with some alcohol consumption.

The everyday homemade gourmet meals and fine wine I was speaking for ourselves, therefore I was adding to what you said since we also live in Valdivia. :P :alien:
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.

papageno

Postby papageno » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Space Cat,
It looks like you have your overhead well under control. In assembling my notional budget, I've rounded up to allow for the unknowns, didn't occur's and forgot's.

Getting past the basics, as I like live classical music, I did a quick study comparing costs of a weekend in San Francisco vs. Buenos Aires, assuming flying from my current home airport (LAX) and presumptive (PMC). It was almost a wash. The higher cost of PMC/EZE being offset by lower theatre, hotel and food costs, but it takes 2-3 nights/performances for the math to work.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:21 pm

YMMV. March 2016.

Transportation?

Can walk with mochilla to 3 supermarkets, many hardware stores, decent carnicerías, verdulerías, botillerías, specialized almances, weekly feria, FONASA, 1 private medical center, 2 public medical centers and sometimes if I'm up for it, to or from central San Antonio/fish market/other supermarkets. 500 pesos colectivo into town, 350 pesos micro into town, 2500-3000 pesos taxi or radio taxi for the same distance, price varies for the previous for Santo Domingo or up to Algarrobo/Mirasol.

Cable/satellite TV/internet?

VTR double pack (TV/Internet)
$39.400 (slowly ratchets up every couple of months)

Uncovered medical expenses?

No recent experience here. My favorite dentist and eye doctor are in the States and part of the itinerary on my once a year trips. Never had an emergency, semi-emergency, or chronic condition attended to inside Chile since I moved to the coast from Santiago but that may change since I recently began paying into FONASA. My strategy is to no longer pay for a catastrophic international expat policy and to go with FONASA for Chile, free Obamacare till the system changes or collapses in the States and contract World Nomads when I visit other countries.

Overall average cost of living (Chile-side only) at 675 CLP/1 USD for two thrifty but quality-oriented persons, in a Chile upper mid-class controlled access condo with a pleasant view, drinkers on a paleo leaning diet --- $960 USD/month.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

papageno

Postby papageno » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:31 pm

I'm assuming those numbers are based on the condo being paid off?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:32 pm

this subject was lightly touched on in another thread, and I have had many people argue with me about it over the the years, that ask things like, "how can chile be so expensive if Chilean minimum wage is only like 200-250,000 a month (about $400-500 a month)"?

Simple. THEY ARE CHILEAN.

If you are making minimum wage in Chile, are a Chilean born and raised here, you additionally receive major benefits from the government to subsidize your income.

--- free health care

--- free housing or subsidized housing (or otherwise own their own home)

--- various miscellaneous and sometimes random yearly government payments

--- free legal services

--- free education

All on top of just generally being use to living in a relatively humble lifestyle, while knowing how to max your resources (e.g. riding the cheapest local buses, knowing where to shop).

I might also point out that often families have several members living in the same household, with multiple sources of income. The overall household income, for a lot of households in Chile, is well above 500,000 pesos a month even on the low end of the economic scale.

So, you could likely say that just about anyone making 250,000 pesos a month, they are receiving, in many cases, with subsidies, something more like double that per month.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:37 pm

papageno wrote:I'm assuming those numbers are based on the condo being paid off?

We are still renters waiting for the bubble to pop. Actually, even with recent rent increases the rent/ownership equation is still heavily for the renter.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:42 pm

papageno wrote:Space Cat,
It looks like you have your overhead well under control. In assembling my notional budget, I've rounded up to allow for the unknowns, didn't occur's and forgot's.

I'd also add about $3000-5000 for the "landing". Some big and small things for the house. Like a blender for your kitchen or a better mattress. Many of these items together add a lot to yearly costs.

canucklehead

Postby canucklehead » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:24 pm

I use this website to compare costs between countries: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... ntries.jsp

From my travels generally I find that, in the aggregate, the numbers provide a reasonable approximation, although sometimes the individual components may be off substantially.

I haven't yet been to Chile. Can anyone confirm that the prices generally are an accurate representation of reality?

MJSaywell

Postby MJSaywell » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Yes I woulds say resonably accurate, when I put in New Zealand and Chile, there wasnt enough data for my local city but if anything I would say the rent figures would be wider as in its more that 40 percent cheaper now here in Chile for somethings now, I was shocked at how expensive New Zealand has become. Rents and house prices have got out of control in New Zealand, here housing and rent which are always going to be your biggest expense are a lot cheaper. The rest of the numbers for other figures when you compare to how much cheaper it is now here were probably about right.

papageno

Postby papageno » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:52 pm

MJSaywell wrote:Yes I woulds say resonably accurate, when I put in New Zealand and Chile, there wasnt enough data for my local city but if anything I would say the rent figures would be wider as in its more that 40 percent cheaper now here in Chile for somethings now, I was shocked at how expensive New Zealand has become. Rents and house prices have got out of control in New Zealand, here housing and rent which are always going to be your biggest expense are a lot cheaper. The rest of the numbers for other figures when you compare to how much cheaper it is now here were probably about right.

I just compared Concepcion to Auckland and about fell out of my chair. New Zealand now makes southern California suburbs look affordable. :shock:

Return to “Chile Investment, business, and Money Issues”