Can you afford to live in Chile????

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
HybridAmbassador

Re: Can you afford to live in Chile????

Postby HybridAmbassador » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:28 pm

tombrad2 wrote:Many years ago I had an ambitious idea about to build a comprehensive page with cost of linving in Arica, my hometown. To do it I was to some supermarkets and registred as many prices as possible, same with cost of transportation, basic services and so on. All those prices has remained pretty much the same up today. But with the mining boom, the cost of housing sky rocketed, so as rent as real estate, an ugly home here in Arica cost more than a nice apartment in almost any city in the US, the price of my home grew from some US$ 30k to over 80K and rents rose accordingly. I think that housing -at least in Arica- has made our city a place quite expensive to move

Hello Tomas-san,long time no writing to you.The last time I visited Chile, missed to roam up your neck of the woods. Was thinking to visit you in my soon again trip to Chile but if "la vida es cara" up there in Aricas, I perhaps forced to skip going up there!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

rocksana

Postby rocksana » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Magnyz wrote:
I think milk products are subsidized there?

In Sweden (and most likely Finland) there are no subsidies. It's the competition which is pretty intense as I understand it.

Policies affecting the competitiveness of dairy production in Sweden, Denmark and Germany
Andersson, Carl-Martin and Gotting, Mattias, 2011. Policies affecting the competitiveness of dairy production in Sweden, Denmark and Germany. Second cycle, A2E. Uppsala: SLU, Dept. of Economics

http://stud.epsilon.slu.se/3315/2/ander ... 111011.pdf

interesting article from SLU

rocksana

Postby rocksana » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:34 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:Suddenly noticed other guests taking the inner dough from that bread and only eating the outside crust. Seeing this
peculiar ways, couldn't resist but to asking to the party next to our table as to why the dough discarding?

Why is that, do you all Chile living expats picked this custom up ??

I guess older people do that? Some people believe that the crust has fewer calories :D

john

Postby john » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:47 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:Don't know if living affordably in Chile but. When I was last visiting mi gran Amigo EEUU down there in Llolleo~San Antonio area, I was lodged in a somewhat called the Alhambra Hotel?

The morning before I was checking out, the Hotel manager told us to have a Chilean styled breakfast on the house. There they served fresh bread with the meal.
Suddenly noticed other guests taking the inner dough from that bread and only eating the outside crust. Seeing this
peculiar ways, couldn't resist but to asking to the party next to our table as to why the dough discarding?

The caballero at the table said, los pobres comen la masas, nosotros solo comemos por de fuera.! Literally translated:
poor people eats the dough, we only eat the outside crusts.!! I said to him, entonces you soy pobre, me gusta la masa
del pan...He said, ah pero ustedes son extranjeros..!? Why is that, do you all Chile living expats picked this custom up ??

Rickey-San,

The only white bread dough that I eat is San Francisco sourdough. :)
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Donnybrook

Postby Donnybrook » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:31 pm

rocksana wrote:
HybridAmbassador wrote:Suddenly noticed other guests taking the inner dough from that bread and only eating the outside crust. Seeing this

Why is that, do you all Chile living expats picked this custom up ??

I guess older people do that? Some people believe that the crust has fewer calories :D

I have always done that, though far from rich. I just don't like the middle of the roll.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:43 pm

Also a logistical thing, won't make it so thick when you add your sandwich meats and cheese. Also, a good gluten reduction move, maybe the more refined Chileans who started this had a subconscious understanding of wheat gluten dangers.

Personally, I don't do it but I am not a fanatical bread eater due to my Paleo leanings.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:04 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Also a logistical thing, won't make it so thick when you add your sandwich meats and cheese. Also, a good gluten reduction move, maybe the more refined Chileans who started this had a subconscious understanding of wheat gluten dangers.

Personally, I don't do it but I am not a fanatical bread eater due to my Paleo leanings.

Paleo foods. The best Tomato salad ever had, was in the summer of in Llolleo Chile. At EEUU-san's high rise condo.
Simple and superb tasting, fresh Tomatoes, virgin olive oil,freshly ground black pepper then sprinkle some sea salt
then touch of aromatic herb, delicious indeed!
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Good Time Charlie

Postby Good Time Charlie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:10 pm

Informative thread. Thanks, admin, for starting it.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:32 pm

yea, your going to likely want to adjust for current exchange rate, however long that last. Most of these prices are calculate on an older 500 to the dollar rate more or less.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Postby Space Cat » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:48 am

AHusband wrote:I think it has been stated elsewhere, but I think you need 20m CLP (30k USD) per year to live in Chile and if you want to be international/etc you need 40m CLP (60k USD) per year.

Huh?

In USD for 2016, Valdivia:
$300-400 for food for 2 people (it depends on frequency of going out to eat)
$600 rent (a new warm house in a good district, with gastos)
$130 ISAPRE (medical insurance)
$100-300 other expenses (like big purchases once in 3-4 months)
Total: less than US$1500 per month

papageno

Postby papageno » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:06 am

Transportation?
Cable/satellite TV/internet?
Uncovered medical expenses?

hlf2888

Postby hlf2888 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:08 am

car insurance 140 per year all in CAD
car license etc 90 per year
gas same as NA?
house insurance 240 per year
property tax none if you live in the country

internet/cell phone 600 per year
sat tv 480 per year
My 85 year old Mom decided to get her hip replacement surgery in Chile and at a private clinic. Cost was around 7,000 and she was walking the next day. She could have got it through her Fonasa but she wanted a private room, Fonasa does not give private rooms. That price includes follow up visits, and rehab equipment.

Return to “Chile Investment, business, and Money Issues”