Chile Travel Advisories

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
tombrad2

Re: Chile Travel Advisories

Postby tombrad2 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:58 pm

As frequent border crosser to Peru, my advise on SAG forms is as follow:
1.-If you are completly sure not carry any vegetal or animal product check every NO box
2.-If you have a minimal doubt, just fill any other information and ask help to the inspector to fill boxes, it is the best way, he is OBLIED to help you
Arica in a nutshell (updated) at :
http://tomas-bradanovic.blogspot.com/

RWS

Postby RWS » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:39 pm

Good information, Tomás. I hadn't known that the inspector had a legal obligation to assist the traveller in completing the form -- thanks.

tombrad2

Postby tombrad2 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:00 pm

Yes, they are oblied to help, some of those people are very rude and unpolite and I enjoy when I make remind then their obligations so as they are the first impression for visitors to the country, I do it every time I see some of those "authorities" abusing on their microscopic power
Arica in a nutshell (updated) at :
http://tomas-bradanovic.blogspot.com/

RWS

Postby RWS » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:18 pm

Good points, Tomás (particularly that those civil servants often are the first Chileans that the foreigner meets on Chilean soil), and good for you for making them.

davidbrucehughes

Postby davidbrucehughes » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:23 pm

We had one student try to bring a bag of Basmati gourmet Indian long-grain rice into Santiago. They confiscated it and fined him for bringing seeds, even though of course milled rice cannot be grown. They let him bring in quite a bit of powdered spices, but took the rice and legumes. What is that all about? Is Chile trying to keep it secret that their so-called first-class rice is really third class? :roll:
David Bruce Hughes (Gaurahari Dāsānudās Bābājī)
Esoteric Teaching Bridge Community and University of Higher Knowledge

oṁ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:29 pm

asdfghjkl
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

pohler

Postby pohler » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:49 pm

davidbrucehughes wrote:We had one student try to bring a bag of Basmati gourmet Indian long-grain rice into Santiago. They confiscated it and fined him for bringing seeds, even though of course milled rice cannot be grown. They let him bring in quite a bit of powdered spices, but took the rice and legumes. What is that all about? Is Chile trying to keep it secret that their so-called first-class rice is really third class? :roll:

Considering the massive problems associated with invasive alien species, both the possibility of the rice (not fully milled or is it EVEN actually milled?) and host organisms that it may hold, why even risk allowing it in? Risk/reward analysis says it's absurd to allow what is likely a fairly poorly-trained individual to be in charge of making a call on whether or not some indivudal coming into the country has a plant/organism that is completely free of danger. Obviously you can't keep EVERYTHING out, but you can exclude the most likely suspects and I would imagine bags of rice falls on that list.
-Clint

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:52 am

You know what, I would side with not letting the rice in after what I seen in China. I taught at an agricultural school where they where doing really scary genetic experiments, and all the kids where taking that experimental rice and other spieces home to their parents in the countryside because it would yield way more. I believe the government in China, at least at the local levels, was encouraging it. The reason it would yield way more was because it basically engineered to grow like a weed pushing out any other species and create its own toxins against bugs. "science" in China was a fairly loose term. I am not against genetically modified food, but I am against really uncontrolled science.

Chile already has some serious problems with all kinds of none native species. So far they have managed to hold back the tide.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Zenth

Postby Zenth » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:17 am

Perhaps Chile is now "Holding back the tide" against non native species. Pine, eucalyptus, grapes, apples are all non native species which Chile has certainly embraced.
Chile was sort of an agricultural version of Japan in the recent past. Japan imported all raw materials and produced goods whereas Chile was able to grow almost anything the world needed.
I do applaud Chile's agricultural inspectors and their efforts to protect their currently native species.
We have never had a problem at the airport with any of the immigration or customs officials even when we travelled with our dog or when my wife brought three wedding dresses for various cousins at one time.
Just try to learn the current regulations, declare, and explain.

RuneTheChookcha

Postby RuneTheChookcha » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:20 pm

Though the magnificent Llaima looks quite peaceful now, the road to the volcano via Vilcun/Cherquenco seems to be closed at Cherquenco at the moment. Even if you pass through the first checkpoint, there should be another one, on the way up to Llaima, about 5km out of the town.

RuneTheChookcha

Postby RuneTheChookcha » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:38 pm

On Friday, the 10th of April, at night, it was possible to see how some lava flowed from the SW side.

And... Jaaaaa-jaja-ja-ja! A sunny day in Southern Chile today! :)

Unbelievable..... :alien:

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Postby Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon May 04, 2009 1:06 am

No reciprocity fee charged as of this week at the Futaleufu border crossing from Chile into Argentina.

Return to “Travel in Chile”