Chile Travel Advisories

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
Vicki and Greg Lansen

Re: Chile Travel Advisories

Postby Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:44 pm

The strike was officially over Friday. The border at Futa is open and functioning fully.

(Yes, Charles, we limped our way back in fits and starts!)

ak405

Postby ak405 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:25 pm

What's this I hear about a general in Peru threatening to kill any Chilean citizen that tries to enter the country??? Is this something that should be perceived as a true threat to Chilean citizens or simply another jab in the ongoing rivalry between Chile and Peru? I know I'm not a Chilean citizen, but I was planning on traveling to Peru with Chilean citizens next month. Should we cancel our plans?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:41 pm

That is just normal banana republic Peru. Any time there is a little internal political pressure they try to deflect all their problems on to Chile so the politicians do not get burned alive in the streets. Same with Bolivia.

Real concerns in Peru is the poverty and corruption, and it does not care what country you are from. In fact, any American traveling to Peru needs to watch out. It was the Bush administration that paid the Peruvian military to burn the Coca fields and left thousands of people not only without income, but with no way of growing foods in the high in the mountains. Same situation in Bolivia, and most of Northern South America. They where simply given the burn the fields or loose U.S. aid choice. Likely why Venezuela gained so much influence in a lot of countries in Northern Southern America. Chile gets a lot of flack from the South American neighbors exactly because of its close ties to the United States. Most of what the other countries are ticked off at Chile about right now are U.S. diplomatic messes.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Postby Vicki and Greg Lansen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:59 am

I know this has been posted on other threads, but it is also appropriate here.

The Carretera Austral south of La Junta to Puyuhaipi, then Puyuhaipi south toward the cut-off to Puerto Cisnes is closed Monday THROUGH Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 pm.
Also, anyone driving the Austral should drive cautiously. It is in some places, for long stretches, not more than a lane and a half and gravel. No room for mistakes! It' is some of the most stunning scenery but don't be distracted...large transport trucks and construction vehicles share the road and some drivers seem to have a death wish.

helibel

Postby helibel » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:42 pm

Why is that? :?:

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Postby Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:31 pm

Sorry Helen, should have replied here. The road is closed for construction. It looks like it will be a considerable time, maybe all summer (our summer). I will check and update.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:03 pm

Yea, we have posted on allsouthernchile.com warnings about the "Austaral Highway". It is not a highway. It is a very heavily used dirt road for most of it. Don't expect to drive your BMW down it at 150 miles per hour (well, it would fly apart fairly fast).

Keep that warning in mind, don't be in a hurry, and conserve your suspension system at a nice speed of under about 25 miles an hour and you should be fine.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Postby Vicki and Greg Lansen » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:06 am

Travelers considering taking the ferry from Puerto Montt, or Isla Chiloe to Chaiten as a way to get to Patagonia should consider the following events and have a plan B:

On December 14, Volcan Chaiten erupted again. Here is a quote copied from Dr. Ralph Harrington's' http://volcanism.wordpress.com/ site:

The latest SERNAGEOMIN bulletin on Chaitén, no. 65, covering the period 9 to 15 December 2008, has been released. The complete original report as a PDF is available via Werner Luis’s Chaitén site, and a condensed version has been published on the SERNAGEOMIN site. The newest dome, ‘New Dome 2′, which has been growing very rapidly, is clearly a very unstable structure and is experiencing major gravitational collapses, producing lateral explosions and generating block and ash flows which are choking the Chaitén river and threatening the remains of Chaitén town with new inundations. There is also concern about the strength and stability of the south flank of the volcano’s original dome, which is bearing the weight of the new domes that have developed since May. A failure here would bring a large-scale collapse, swamping Chaitén river valley and town with vast quantities of ash and debris. In short, a very unstable and unpredictable situation.

THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU SHOULD NOT PLAN A TRIP TO THIS AREA. It only means that you should be prepared for your trip plans to change in the event of an "event". If a significant volcanic event happens, It is possible that your ship/ferry may be canceled, or if you are in route and , your ship/ferry may be diverted. Travel through Argentina into Futa and south is not affected.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:03 am

No break for Palena.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Postby Vicki and Greg Lansen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:13 pm

Ferries ARE operating from Puerto Montt and other northern port points to Chaiten, with small transport buses providing onward services to La Junta and Futaleufu. But as always, subject to weather conditions.

LastGryphon

Postby LastGryphon » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:20 pm

For those of you who may wish to view (or avoid) the 2009 Dakar Rally...

Contestants leave Mendoza on Jan 9 for Valpo.
They depart Valpo for La Serena on Jan 11.
Then from La Serena to Copiapo on Jan 12.

http://www.dakar.com/2009/DAK/presentation/us/r3_5-le-parcours.html

pjatkin36

Postby pjatkin36 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:19 pm

gringalais wrote:Re: the Argentina reciprocity fee, I am wondering if it affects permanent residents traveling on their Chilean ID card. Last time I went to Argentina, I was told I didn't need my passport, just my Chilean ID. Does anyone know?

We made the crossing at International Route 215 which links Chile and Argentina last Week and there was no fee. I was on my American passport and tourst visa, my wife was on her Mexican passport and tourst visa. We made the crossing both ways...One person in our group used her Chilean ID.

Joe

Return to “Travel in Chile”