Chile Travel Advisories

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
admin
Site Admin

Chile Travel Advisories

Postby admin » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:42 am

This is a new sticky thread for Travel advisories, delays, changes at customs or immigration that you notice, strikes, or anything else that might make getting from point A to B in Chile more difficult. No politics. JUST THE FACTS.

I would request that everyone help keep this clean of other subjects. This should be a quick reference, and if it needs more discussion please open a related thread and link to that thread for something like "for more information" notice.

Please avoid alarmist sorts of posts, unless it is really something to be concerned about (e.g. volcano erupts). Try to avoid the silly sorts of advisories the embassies put out every time two kids decide to hold a protest in Chile. Members that live and travel in Chile, please help put the travel problem in to perspective for others.

PLEASE CHECK DATES ON THE POSTS OF THIS THREAD TO DETERMINE IF THEY STILL APPLY.

If this goes well, I might open a special section dedicated to just this subject.

Thanks Vicky. Great idea.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Reciprocity Fee Chile-Argentina watch

Postby Vicki and Greg Lansen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:36 am

I'd like to find a place to monitor the proposed reciprocity fee being considered for travel back and forth between Chile. If anyone knows where I might be able to find updates to post here, I'd be happy to keep it up-to-date. Currently, travel between the two countries costs nothing. I'm not at my computer so I cannot provide a link to the article, which suggested a possible policy change in January 09.

Vicki

RWS

Re: Chile Travel Advisories

Postby RWS » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:28 pm

Argentine friends (none of whom is a politician, though one is a moderately well-placed bureaucrat) tell me that the visa is to be good for the life of the passport. I haven't heard whether the fee will be levied only at airports or at all guarded border crossings.

gringalais

Postby gringalais » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:21 pm

Re: the Argentina reciprocity fee, I am wondering if it affects permanent residents traveling on their Chilean ID card. Last time I went to Argentina, I was told I didn't need my passport, just my Chilean ID. Does anyone know?

Rossy

Postby Rossy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:50 pm

Re: the Argentina reciprocity fee, I am wondering if it affects permanent residents traveling on their Chilean ID card. Last time I went to Argentina, I was told I didn't need my passport, just my Chilean ID. Does anyone know?

i went to Argentina in 2005 and i had to show them my chilean pass port coz u r entering into a new country i guess u can take both just in case :roll:

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:25 pm

I suspect it will not last long. Argentina did the extra tax on gas sold to people with Chilean license plates a few years ago. Businesses and cities on the boarder in places like Mendoza started offering to refund the tax paid to Chileans because their economies depend on the Chilean shoppers.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:24 am

We are back on strike again. No word on when it will be over.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Bad New - Good News

Postby Vicki and Greg Lansen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:23 am

While I've read that Chilean Govt. workers vow to fight to the end, "Customs offices are being manned by police and other non-striking government personnel so as not to delay passengers and cargo at several border crossings, airports and ports." As for buses going to the border, either bus companies are in solidarity with the workers, or don't want to have ten buses sitting at the borders for hours, or days.

(From a Reuters newsfeed)

mcplaza

Postby mcplaza » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:37 pm

Thanks for the information.
Please keep it updated with any new developmentss
Marcelo

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:35 am

We have just been notified that Airport customs is shutdown to barely functioning. We are certain about immigration. We are trying to find out the status of other land boarders.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Postby Vicki and Greg Lansen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:08 pm

Land border from Osorno to Bariloche was open, no waiting, smooth sailing. Same for the crossing at Futaleufu. There was a sign in the Aduanas office that read, "Aduanas en Para!" but everything was running the way it usually does.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:33 pm

We where wondering if you would make it back in from Argentina. Just have one of the local horse traders put Greg on a horse and smuggle him over the mountains in the middle of the night.

Return to “Travel in Chile”