The Chile Eclipses Thread

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
Britkid

The Chile Eclipses Thread

Postby Britkid » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:23 pm

Some parts of the world go 50 years or more without a total or annular eclipse of the sun, but Chile is unusually blessed with four in the current decade (three total, one annular).

I don't suppose any of you caught the first of these, on July 2010? The line of maximum totality was in just about the most remote part of Chile possible, mid way between Villa O'Higgins and Torres del Paine. However it was also visible from El Calafete in Argentina. It would have been visible as a big partial eclipse from anywhere in southern Chile, with the majority of the sun blocked out, and a smaller partial eclipse in northern Chile.

The other two total eclipses are July 2nd, 2019 in Coquimbo and La Serena, and then December 14th, 2020 - between Temuco and Valdivia (both Pucon and Villarica will see the total eclipse and be near the point of maximum duration). I'm hoping to catch both of those although not too confident on the weather prospects. Get them while you can. After that, 2048 is the next total eclipse in Chile.

(Since there are so many people in the US or US ex-pats I'll also mention that there is going to be a total eclipse of the sun in the USA on August 21st, 2017, which will be the best eclipse that there's been in the US for many years and will be a major national event.)

There is a much sooner one on February 26th (2017) in the Coihaique area including the town of Coihaique itself, albeit only an annular eclipse. Normally I wouldn't travel so far just for an annular eclipse - especially in an area of probably uncertain weather - however the Carretera Austral was an area I also wanted to visit anyway at some point, and it fell right into the school holidays, so we are going to go.

Over 99% of the sun will be covered, producing a ring around the moon. However, this annular phase will last a matter of seconds only and only in the Coihaique area.

It will seen as a partial eclipse all over Chile, although quite a small one in the far north.

Anyone know where to get those special glasses for looking at the sun?
I blog on life in Chile at http://www.idledreamer.com

frozen-north

Re: The Chile Eclipses Thread

Postby frozen-north » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Britkid wrote:
Anyone know where to get those special glasses for looking at the sun?

I had never heard of 'eclipse glasses':

Safe Methods of Viewing

1) Eclipse Glasses

This is the most affordable method. Eclipse glasses are very inexpensive and can be found many places.

There are now two types of eclipse glasses. The older type has filters made of aluminized Mylar. The newer type uses black polymer lenses.

http://perkins.owu.edu/solar_viewing_safety.htm

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:42 am

I caught the one in southern Chile a few years back. Various lunar ones in recent years. We have almost zero light pollution where we are at, due to several hills that block the lights from the towns.

I have, just by accident, managed to catch various eclipses all over the World on pretty regular basis. Seen one that crossed the southwest U.S. when I was teenager.

My all time favorite however was a lunar eclipse, that just happened to occur on museum night in Amsterdam, when my wife and I were grad students. All the museums in the city are free to residents for one night a year, along with the canal boats and the antique trolleys to connect them. Each Museum throws a party to show-off to the residents, what is mostly tourist territory. My wife and I were riding in a boat in the Amsterdam canals on our way to the next Museum, sipping champagne, when we stumbled in to a lunar eclipse. Totally unplanned. Not bad for a free tour. Being students, we were super broke and could not afford museums, canal boats, nor champagne. The only thing that was in our regular budget was the Eclipse, but had we not been in the middle of the canals, I don't think we would have seen it. Too many tall buildings and light pollution in most of Amsterdam center.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:16 pm

There seems to be a comet that might be visible tonight. I will have a look if I can. There is suppose to be another sometime in January that is easier to see.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Return to “Travel in Chile”