Sky Airlines Online Booking and WebPay

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
Britkid

Sky Airlines Online Booking and WebPay

Postby Britkid » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:55 pm

I was booking for 27th February for Balmaceda (Coihaique) to Santiago on .cl site. The site rejected 4-5 different cards (all foreign). Sometimes tried to verify with additional steps required like speaking to my bank over the phone while booking, answering additional security questions, and so on. None of it worked.

They use the “webpay” system which I've found problematic with foreign cards before on other sites. I’d say 10% chance of a transaction going through at the first try, improving to 50/50 if you are willing to spend an hour trying 3-4 cards over and over again. In some other cases (not Sky) my Barclays visa card was the only one that worked after all my Mastercards failed. That may be coincidence.

I think the use of webpay is likely the reason that foreign cards are rejected by Sky. (Others have speculated online that it is to stop foreigners buying the cheapest fares on Sky’s Chilean site.) There are various threads on Trip Advisor, Lonely Planet and this forum over the years that have discussed this, e.g. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic ... Chile.html

After each failure of payment, they made me input the personal details again. After each couple of failures at the payment stage, they kept increasing the price. I ignored it the first time and carried on trying to buy it however after they did at least 2 times, and the price was almost doubled, I gave up. I figured there is no way the price is going to almost double in the space of an hour for a flight 9 weeks from now, and that the price was responding to only my own constant clicking on trying to buy the flight, and that this was in effect a trick to get me to pay the higher prices. I decided to try again the next day and the price would go back to what it was at the start. I came back the next day and was proved correct on the pricing, it was back to what it was before, however payments still failed, even with alternate browser.

Eventually called them. 600 600 2828 never answered, 22352 5600 mostly failed to connect but after multiple tries they eventually put me in a holding pattern saying I was 35th in the queue. It counted down these numbers for a while but then the line went completely dead. After 20 minutes of being completely dead line with no automatic messages, music or even any noise at all I miraculously got through to someone.

So booked the flights over the phone. This is not ideal (especially if your Spanish is poor) since if I (or she) get one digit wrong on the email or RUT/passport/name I could be screwed. She said booking was confirmed and gave me a code but said they would contact me later by email to see if the payment went through; unusual. Quickly got email “Ya hemos ingresado tu solicitud y la atenderemos a la brevedad.” Had to pay 12,000 CLP per passenger for phone booking.

If necessary other online posts give Calle Huerfanos # 815, Santiago Central as valid address for booking in person as per Feb 2016 and responsive emails for booking (with English) as ventasanf@skyairline.cl and skytours@skyairline.cl also.

Some hours later I received a “comprobante de pago”. I am not sure if that counts as a ticket. I called up (this time pressing the option 1 instead of the option at the end, and getting through straight away - 22352 5600) and after she said at first she would said the ticket in addition to the comprobante but then just resent the same comprobante and said that this counts as the ticket and I just can go to the airport with that. Does that sound right?

Let me know if any other relevant tips.
In 2014/2015 I blogged abount my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

papageno

Re: Sky Airlines Online Booking and WebPay

Postby papageno » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:12 pm

I only tried SKY once; not a good experience. Booked from the US with a US VISA card, after having to call the card issuer to allow a charge from a ".cl" site. In the meantime, the fare kept increasing. I wouldn't have bothered at all, but this was as back-up during a LAN strike and I HAD to get to PMC no matter what. As it turned out, the LAN travel was totally unaffected, so I put the United miles back in the can and simply abandoned the SKY ticket. Nunca mas...... (apologies to the Argentines)

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:48 pm

Get the TICKET NUMBER, that is the most important piece of info (more important than the reservation code) sans other paperwork.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:29 pm

The comprobante de pago has a 13 digit number for each person under the heading boleto, do you think that is the ticket number?
In 2014/2015 I blogged abount my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:49 pm

Perhaps:

An official ticket number (including the airline's 3-digit ticketing code, a 4-digit form number, a 6-digit serial number, and sometimes a check digit).

Sky Airlines is "605"
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:17 pm

Yes the numbers start with 605. Thanks.

Return to “Travel in Chile”