LATAM domestic flights to fully adopt LCC 2017

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

LATAM domestic flights to fully adopt LCC 2017

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:49 am

The new way to book flights will enable passengers to choose fares according to the journey type and the additional services they require. For example, passengers will be able to travel with hand luggage at no extra cost with the option to add checked luggage; enjoy a wider range of food on-board; select their seat; and add the option to change or cancel their ticket. With more options, the new model aims to make fares clearer and more personalized.

https://www.latam.com/en_us/press-room/ ... _operates/
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Donnybrook

Re: LATAM domestic flights to fully adopt LCC 2017

Postby Donnybrook » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:04 am

I took Latam recently between Santiago and Lima. If you want entertainment you have to download their app before you go and access it onboard. That is on an international flight. I certainly wouldn't pay money for the food we got. Excess baggage charges, btw, are charged in bundles. They allowed 2 bags with a total of 23 kilos (varies by destination). From 1-10 kilos more costs the same amount. On that route US$75. So one kilo of overweight and 10 kilos cost the same. Seating is really tight. It already feels like a LCC airline on international flights.

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:27 am

There is a school of thought we might have discussed on the forum before that LAN is a high quality airline on long haul and low quality on short haul, I don't know if either of you would agree from recent personal experience.
I blog on life in Chile at http://www.idledreamer.com

papageno

Postby papageno » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:29 am

i flew from LAX to PMC on 11/1 with 3 full-sized bags and a carryon. Each less than 50 pounds/23 kilos. The 3rd bag charge was $200 US, though reading through their website (which can be a challenge) lead me to believe it would be $150. However, the extra legroom upgrade (done at the check-in counter) was only $85. Greater transparency in seat selection and excess baggage pricing wouldbe an improvement.
LAX/LIM was on an old 767, LIM/SCL was on a 787. On both, I just plugged my headset in and listened to music, no download involved though I may look into it if it offers additional choices.

The travel experience itself was fine--courteous staff, no FUBAR's or lost baggage, even got through the madhouse of SCL baggage claim & re-check with no problems. Now, if SCL would just clean up those nasty seat cushions in the departure area...

Britkid's point about domestic vs. International, I've experienced huge differences between them on United. Domestic can be like a cattle car.

FrankPintor

Postby FrankPintor » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:57 am

Ouch, $500-600 for a 4 hour flight isn't exactly LCC territory, so LAN want to do what, offer an LCC experience and full-service prices? :lol: There's a bit more to the LCC concept than cramped seats and charging for everything extra, maybe someone needs to explain that to the vivos at LAN.

If a real LCC like Viva Colombia operated the route, prices would be half that.

And yes, the seats on SCL-LIM are very cramped, it's a bit of a shock if it's the last leg of an inter-continental flight to Chile. Avianca are a similar experience on internal flights, but their international ones have been fine so far.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Gloria

Postby Gloria » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:15 am

In June/16 I flew on LAN from ZAL-SCL-MIA then AA with destination PHL. With regard to airlines I'm an extremely easy customer especially when I must travel with a true purpose in mind as this one was ( meeting my grandson for the first time). I didn't care about the plane, the food, the music, the movies or sleeping uncomfortable.... just get me there, but service was ok. The return was a chaos with AA due to a storm. I had an excess of weight refusing to pay extra so I had to remove the pc from one of the luggage's and carry it by hand. They practically shoved me in AA in MIA due to the plane been late and LAN to SCL had already departed.Then my 2 heavy luggage's got lost in MIA so I arrived to SCL empty handed and had to put a claim in ZAL however was brought to my door the following day. IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE!!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.

Donnybrook

Postby Donnybrook » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:24 pm

FrankPintor wrote:Ouch, $500-600 for a 4 hour flight isn't exactly LCC territory, so LAN want to do what, offer an LCC experience and full-service prices? :lol: There's a bit more to the LCC concept than cramped seats and charging for everything extra, maybe someone needs to explain that to the vivos at LAN.

If a real LCC like Viva Colombia operated the route, prices would be half that.

And yes, the seats on SCL-LIM are very cramped, it's a bit of a shock if it's the last leg of an inter-continental flight to Chile. Avianca are a similar experience on internal flights, but their international ones have been fine so far.

I paid around US$500 return to Lima. Non-refundable. I ended up in the hospital and had to change all my dates. Lost the US$500 and had to buy again. Even Ministry of Health certificate that I was quarantined did no good.

Options to LIM were few. I don't like SKY.

Rhodolite

Postby Rhodolite » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:07 pm

Oh, Gloria, I had to laugh at your refusing to pay extra. I boarded an AA flight in Mia once wearing a bicycle helmet, hiking boots 6 sizes too large and a hooded parka large enough for me & a friend because they wouldn't let me carry on the plastic bag.

Gloria

Postby Gloria » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:36 pm

Rhodolite wrote:Oh, Gloria, I had to laugh at your refusing to pay extra. I boarded an AA flight in Mia once wearing a bicycle helmet, hiking boots 6 sizes too large and a hooded parka large enough for me & a friend because they wouldn't let me carry on the plastic bag.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I must tell you, I swear AA scales are rigged. On purpose I brought my own to avoid any hassles and yet at the counter I was told that I was over about 7 lbs!!...not so according to my scale. So I had to open one of the largest luggage's looking for the most obvious heaviest item....a pc wrapped in queen size sheets with masking tape around. I was so pissed. The undies were flying out and so were the shoes and other small items til I found what I was looking for. I had been preparing my things for a couple of weeks trying to fit everything in the right place and in seconds everything looked like shit! But I was able to "please her" without paying extra however I had to carry that "thing" everywhere and at one point I was ready to get rid of it!! I told my family that the only way I would go back to the "land of the greed" is if I have to donate one of my organs!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. Anótese, comuníquese, publíquese, archívese.

FrankPintor

Postby FrankPintor » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:40 pm

Rhodolite wrote:Oh, Gloria, I had to laugh at your refusing to pay extra. I boarded an AA flight in Mia once wearing a bicycle helmet, hiking boots 6 sizes too large and a hooded parka large enough for me & a friend because they wouldn't let me carry on the plastic bag.

You do this quite a lot, don't you :D http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/10/dude-passes-out-on-easyjet-flight-after-wearing-12-layers-of-clothes-to-avoid-excess-baggage-5289189/
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

Gloria

Postby Gloria » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:06 pm

:lol: :lol:

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:58 pm

When I visited Gloria-san and EEUU-san there in Chilitolandia, took my old friend Pepe from Lima,Peru. There at the LAN agency in Lima, due to not having previous reservation for Chile bound flight, I think paid US$1000.00 for the two of us one way, then another return tickets but forgot how much I paid. The plane Chile bound, the seats were adequately comfortable in comparison to LAN seats from SFO to LIMA..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Return to “Travel in Chile”