LAN Will Have First Dreamliner Flights Into South America Starting July 2015

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
HybridAmbassador

Re: LAN Will Have First Dreamliner Flights Into South America Starting July 2015

Postby HybridAmbassador » Thu May 19, 2016 4:15 pm

4 Reasons I Prefer The A350 To The 787..But deep inside, longing to flying the A380 above all others.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... -787-a350/
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Spudzilla

Re: LAN Will Have First Dreamliner Flights Into South America Starting July 2015

Postby Spudzilla » Fri May 20, 2016 10:17 pm

Santiago to JFK on 787. Coach seats excruciating. I am only 5'9" and I could not get my legs under the seat in front of me , when it was reclined. Also elderly couple in middle and window seats had great difficulty getting out to use the facilities. Had to ask people in front to raise seats upright.

FrankPintor

Postby FrankPintor » Sun May 22, 2016 5:05 pm

Look at the photos in that article. Every row in the A350 has a window! Omigod!! Already in 2016!!!

Cue the 787 cheerleaders now :D
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

papageno

Postby papageno » Sun May 22, 2016 6:08 pm

FrankPintor wrote:Look at the photos in that article. Every row in the A350 has a window! Omigod!! Already in 2016!!!

Not :mrgreen:

john

Postby john » Sun May 22, 2016 6:24 pm

papageno wrote:
FrankPintor wrote:Look at the photos in that article. Every row in the A350 has a window! Omigod!! Already in 2016!!!

Not :mrgreen:

Boeing, Boeing, gone... :evil:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

FrankPintor

Postby FrankPintor » Sun May 22, 2016 11:36 pm

What I don't understand is Boeing's rage against the customer (people like me who fly economy class, not the airlines). It started with the 757/767 where you couldn't put standard size carry on into the overhead lockers. Then there was the 777, which could accommodate the carry-on, but otherwise was like being transported in a warehouse, the noise in one of those things is simply amazing. And now the 787 with the window lottery. Like really, who's the cretinous fool who came up with the windowless row idea? Wtf... and an idea like that made it all the way into production. What kind of a company is that?

In a Bus, pretty much no matter what the configuration, you walk up, stash your carry-on, sit down and you're done and dusted. Sounds simple, no? Why is that so difficult for Boeing?

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Mon May 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Next time going back over the pacific. Wanting to try out the mammoth double Decker A380 along many passengers.
Heard voluminous overhead compartment plus generous seating even in my turf, the economy class!

https://youtu.be/NVItPJAu_Fk?t=4

bazzasoft

Postby bazzasoft » Tue May 24, 2016 8:22 am

A380 with 18½" seats - which company is flying this lovely plane over the Pacific and when will it be flying London to Santiago ?
I suspect passenger levels mean it will not fly LHR-SCL but we can dream !!
Thanks for posting the YouTube link.
Baz :D

T_ROBO

Postby T_ROBO » Tue May 24, 2016 4:01 pm

FrankPintor wrote:What I don't understand is Boeing's rage against the customer (people like me who fly economy class, not the airlines). It started with the 757/767 where you couldn't put standard size carry on into the overhead lockers. Then there was the 777, which could accommodate the carry-on, but otherwise was like being transported in a warehouse, the noise in one of those things is simply amazing. And now the 787 with the window lottery. Like really, who's the cretinous fool who came up with the windowless row idea? Wtf... and an idea like that made it all the way into production. What kind of a company is that?

I don't think this is the problem with Boeing. They only make the airframe and integrate the electronic control. The buyers (in our case, the airlines) select the engines, and seating configuration (both are provided by third parties). So, if you fly on an aircraft owned by LAN that has narrow seats and little leg room, it is because LAN selected it.

TP

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Tue May 24, 2016 4:25 pm

T_ROBO wrote:
FrankPintor wrote:What I don't understand is Boeing's rage against the customer (people like me who fly economy class, not the airlines). It started with the 757/767 where you couldn't put standard size carry on into the overhead lockers. Then there was the 777, which could accommodate the carry-on, but otherwise was like being transported in a warehouse, the noise in one of those things is simply amazing. And now the 787 with the window lottery. Like really, who's the cretinous fool who came up with the windowless row idea? Wtf... and an idea like that made it all the way into production. What kind of a company is that?

I don't think this is the problem with Boeing. They only make the airframe and integrate the electronic control. The buyers (in our case, the airlines) select the engines, and seating configuration (both are provided by third parties). So, if you fly on an aircraft owned by LAN that has narrow seats and little leg room, it is because LAN selected it.

TP

Yep, Latam orders it that way cause they pay little attention to passengers comfort and possibly due to less competition . Besides, cramming more bodies into their 787's bigger the profit and sooner!

FrankPintor

Postby FrankPintor » Tue May 24, 2016 11:21 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
T_ROBO wrote:

TP

Yep, Latam orders it that way cause they pay little attention to passengers comfort and possibly due to less competition . Besides, cramming more bodies into their 787's bigger the profit and sooner!

I understand what you're saying TP, but I believed that the airlines choose from a range of options offered by the airplane manufacturer. Cheap airlines will choose uncomfortable cabins, that goes without saying. The original 757/767 overhead lockers had the problem I'm talking about, then after a very long time Boeing offered to refit the cabins with a 777-look style which offered more space to store baggage.

And certainly no airline is going to choose to leave out windows :-) that's purely Boeing's responsibility.

Dosedmonkey

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:53 am

T_ROBO wrote:

TP

Boeing to provide the options, and have to prove the aircraft air worthy before signing it over to the client. It isn't as simple as just building an air frame.

There is only two propulsion options for 787. GEnx-1B and Rolls-Royce Trent 1000

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeroma ... 2012_q3/2/

It is similar, but only similar, to in my industry, you would approach a ship yard with your specification, their architects and designers would give you options, but in most things you use the shipyards usual selection of suppliers it has contacts and supply chain with. With airlines the options seem much more limited, because everything has to be tested to a higher standard of safety, less space to put units in and things like stability/balance of components across the airplane will effect it greater. Only once the completed craft has been tested and certified will the client receive/sign over the craft.

Return to “Travel in Chile”