LAN Will Have First Dreamliner Flights Into South America Starting July 2015

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
Aguila Blanca

Re: LAN Will Have First Dreamliner Flights Into South America Starting July 2015

Postby Aguila Blanca » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:43 am

Gloria wrote:It must be a male thing to be so concerned about how wide the seats are, how much leg room it has .....the rest is just BS.

No, no -- for males (or females, for that matter) taller than 6 feet (and now maybe taller than about 5'-10" / 178 cm) the seat pitch is critical on a flight of 10 to 12 hours.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: LAN Will Have First Dreamliner Flights Into South America Starting July 2015

Postby eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:20 pm

T_ROBO wrote:A few years ago I booked the route SCL - Lima - LAX, and it was with LAN Peru. I am not sure if LAN Peru still exists. That route used the Boeing 737, but the airplane was new and comfortable. ...

I can report that LAN Peru is alive and well as I just flew SCL-LIM and then LIM-LAX after change of planes leaving and arriving on the same day.

First flight to LIM, the plane was changed from an A319 to an old style LAN 767 at the last minute. The second flight was on the updated 767. I found the economy service on both flights quite good especially the LIM-LAX that arrives around 7:30 pm at LAX.

Other observations for this normal flier of AA SCL-DFW-LAX. No AA lounge in LIM to make it worth buying a one-day pass (normally used for both SCL and then DFW the next day in my previous "normal" runs). LIM sucks as an overall airport to spend some hours vs. DFW. LIM international transit security is almost as bad as DFW TSA in terms of hassle (but at least no nudie scanner). LAX seems less organized than DFW as a place to clear immigrations. I would rather have the first segment be the long one than the second as it is with SCL-DFW-LAX, but the daytime flights were interesting. It sucked to be parked way off in some corner of LAX and then be herded Transantiago-style into a transfer bus that took 20 minutes to arrive at the main terminal. YMMV.

Overall, not bad for $269 but I will not be looking forward to 14 hours in a narrower seat on the 787.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

FrankPintor

Postby FrankPintor » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:27 pm

Oh yes, LAN is alive and well everywhere, Lan Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, I've flown them all now :-)

LIM has good shopping (well, Pisco :D ) but the airport location is truly horrible, because of the traffic you take a big risk if you want to see any of Lima during your stopover.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

papageno

Postby papageno » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:43 pm

FrankPintor wrote:Oh yes, LAN is alive and well everywhere, Lan Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, I've flown them all now :-)

LIM has good shopping (well, Pisco :D ) but the airport location is truly horrible, because of the traffic you take a big risk if you want to see any of Lima during your stopover.

As I expected, which is why I've stayed in the terminal each time I've passed through. In addition to which, usually the arrival is around midnight with a 7-8 AM departure. So, I grab a bench, and make the best of it. At least it has a good bar or two. :mrgreen:
Still want to try Aeromexico for the legroom, but not looking forward to the transfer in Mexico City. (must go through immigration, even though in transit and not leaving the airport. At least when changing airlines, in my case, AMEX/LAN).

Dosedmonkey

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:33 pm

amanaplan wrote:
Ice crystals in the fuel were blamed as the cause of the accident, clogging the fuel-oil heat exchanger (FOHE) of each engine. This restricted fuel flow to the engines when thrust was demanded during the final approach to Heathrow.[7] Boeing identified the problem as specific to the Rolls-Royce engine fuel-oil heat exchangers, and Rolls-Royce subsequently developed a modification to its FOHE; the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) mandated that all affected aircraft were to be fitted with the modification before 1 January 2011.[4][8] Boeing 777 aircraft powered by General Electric or Pratt & Whitney engines were not affected by the problem.[8]

I know this is a VERY late reply. But you did make a good post, with the exception of relying on wikipedia for solid information. I didn't know about the Rollsroyce changed the design of engine, purely heard the other theory from aircraft engineers who were speculating on things they had seen over the years.

Still a bit mythed how they would get ice crystals though, seeing fuel wouldn't ice up at that temperature, otherwise no engine design would cope with it, and there really shouldn't be water in the fuel if it is aviation grade I would of thought. On ships we centrifugally purifier our fuel because it is of much lower grade to prevent water, but even the water in our fuel holding tanks is very very tiny percent. The only thing we do for antarctic region is put fuel additive in to prevent gelling up of the fuel, but again we use a different grade.

It's certainly an interesting one.

Dosedmonkey

Postby Dosedmonkey » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:40 pm

paladin wrote:I have to disagree with all the negative comments. In the last couple of months I've flown on the Dreamliner 4 times in economy and found that the legroom ( at least in Lan), has increased and is pretty comfortable, and the seats more comfortable as well, and I'm pretty boney, so notice when the seats are lousy., AF for example feel like solid wooden seats. I travel in biz on Lan,now and again and but havent done this year, as there have been such great offers in economy, but I noticed when boarding that the biz class in the 787 seems to have less space and not so comfy looking seats, but I've yet to try them out.

Oh and as for my leg room impressions on dreamliners, it increases, until you recline the chair, which slides the bottom forward crashing my long legs in to the seat in front. So in the finish I have less comfort one way or the other. And seats definitely narrower.

I'm 6ft, 90kg, so only just on the top edge of my recommended BMI. Btw. So once I'm a little over weight in my late middle age I'm sure I'll suffer a lot worse, here to hoping I can afford business class by then.

bazzasoft

Postby bazzasoft » Thu May 19, 2016 8:32 am

Slightly off-topic but British Airways have announced they will be starting direct flights from London to Santiago on 3rd January 2017.
They will be using the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner and flights are scheduled to be four times per week.
Flight time about 14 hours 40 minutes which will be BA's longest route so let's hope they have good legroom !!.
Let's also hope they permit two hold cases which they didn't when we flew BA to Santiago via Sao Paulo in March 2014.
The London to Sao Paulo leg was in a Boeing 747 Jumbo which had the most cramped seating I have ever experienced anywhere and I have flown in Dakota, Bristol Freighter, Viscount, Vanguard, Caravelle, Comet 4, DC4 (?), BAC111, Britannia, DC6, VC10, DC8, DC10, Boeing 737-300, 737-700, 737-800, 747-400, 766, 767/300, 777/300, Airbus A318, A319, A320, A321, A330, A340 - not necessarily in that order !!
We flew back home from Bogota, via Miami and the Miami to London leg was also by cramped BA747.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... ago-Chile/
Bazza

bazzasoft

Postby bazzasoft » Thu May 19, 2016 9:52 am

I just checked with Expedia and the return cost is £1000+ whereas other airlines take longer but cost around £250 less and
LATAM will still be flying the 777-300 which is one of the most comfortable economy seats I've found so far.
Bazza

bazzasoft

Postby bazzasoft » Thu May 19, 2016 9:53 am

P.S. BA are only offering ONE item of free hold luggage.
Bazza

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Thu May 19, 2016 12:04 pm

Thanks a lot for posting this.
Don't need to fly right now but could be good news for the long term. Also, I am hoping my family can visit from the UK in Jan/Feb most likely.
Looks like those are a 3-3-3 seat configuration (checking on seat guru).
It looks like the schedule is
LHR-SCL 22:00 - 09:40 Departing Fri, Sun, Tue, Wed
SCL-LHR 18:45-12:05 Departing Thur, Sat, Mon, Wed
There must be 2 planes flying the route, since the Wednesday flights cross over
Days of the week from doing a few sample searches.

I looked on BA site it looks £1000-£1100 is the typical price. Imagining myself to be very flexible on dates I did a number of searches and for return from London the cheapest I got was £913 return (7 Feb, 22 Feb). From Santiago it was similar pricing, but I managed to get £828 return on one set of dates after trying a number, although that was well below the norm.

I don't see how to display a table of all the prices for the direct flight only (excluding indirect) for the whole month on the BA site, if anyone knows how to do that that perhaps on an agent site that would be helpful.
In 2014/2015 I blogged abount my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

Britkid

Postby Britkid » Thu May 19, 2016 12:40 pm

Having a BA connection is also going to make things easier for people in other certain countries to get to Chile. Perhaps Scandinavia, Middle East, Iceland, Greece, Russia, and some Northern/Central African countries for example are going to be a bit better connected now with options for getting to Chile.

It's also a help for people in the UK that want to have more options for getting to places in the region such as Mendoza in Argentina as well as perhaps southern Bolivia and Peru - Santiago is the start end/point of the classic gringo trail I assume, with the other end being perhaps Quito in Ecuador.
In 2014/2015 I blogged abount my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268
I curently have a blog about vegetarianism here whytryveg dot wordpress dot com. However, it's not related to Chile.

HybridAmbassador

Postby HybridAmbassador » Thu May 19, 2016 4:08 pm

Next time going back home, would be choosing JAL's bigger economy seats of their 787 or the new A380 possible.
In meantime heard LAtam has added a A350 to its fleet. A friend told me the A350 is way more comfy
to fly to south america than the dreaded cramped seating array of 787.

LATAM Airlines Group premieres the global LATAM brand with new aircraft, uniform and airport designs.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 59422.html
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

Return to “Travel in Chile”