Construction material cost in Chile and what is available

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
charkchark

Re: Construction material cost in Chile and what is availabl

Postby charkchark » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:14 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yeah I wouldn't consider importing any organic matter, it'd be plumbing and electrical stuff. We thought it'd be a good idea given the current insane exchange rate. Does anyone know if their is any sort of import tax on things like this? I'm really sorry if this has been answered by my forum search came up empty.

perfor8

Re: Construction material cost in Chile and what is available

Postby perfor8 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:01 pm

Are structural insulated panels (SIPs) available in Chile?

David_Bro

Postby David_Bro » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:51 pm

Can you post a link of what you are looking for?

###

frozen-north

Postby frozen-north » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:03 pm

I don't think the OP can yet post links, but I think the OP is referring to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structural_insulated_panel

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:10 pm

yea, they are available. Seen a house down the road from me built with them. Don't think I would build with them, but ... to each his own.

The problem I see with them is you have two layers of OSB, trapped on the wrong side of the thermal / humidity envelope, once you add siding or interior finish. In what direction is that OSB allowed to dry then when it get's wet or humid?
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

perfor8

Postby perfor8 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:14 pm

I think the theory is that you don't have the problem of dew point condensation because of the effectiveness of the insulation (no cold surface available to cause condensation on the inside of the thermal envelope as a result of humid household atmosphere). Outside of the thermal envelope, I suppose you are relying on a house-wrap or other vapor barrier to keep the external sheet of OSB from getting wet in the first place.

I know manufacturers recommend you keep them dry before installation.

perfor8

Postby perfor8 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:15 pm

And thanks, frozen-north, for the link assistance.

marti
Location: Another project. Another country. And besides, the wench is dead.,

Postby marti » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:47 pm

La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

perfor8

Postby perfor8 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:21 pm

You gave away too much info! Using your terminology I found a company that makes 'em in Quilpué. Gives me hope there may be somewhere to get them farther south; if not, they'll ship 'em. I still figure I owe ya a beer. Seriously, thanks.

I'll owe you a 6 pack if you can tell me the dimensions of a panel and how much they cost...

marti

Postby marti » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:12 pm

Standard panel based on polystyrene sandwich in OSB is 1.22 x 2.44 m in metric which is 4x8 feet in christian, same as sheet of OSB. Also available in 1.22 x 4.88 which of course is 4 x 16 feet.

Depends where you buy them and your quantity, material thickness, and the type.

There are structural-insulated panels which are not the OSB sandwich type and have better fire ratings. One type is marketed as fireproof wall structural insulated panels that are available from 50mm to 150mm thick and a useful (adjusted for overlap) width of 1150m, using rockwool rather than plumavit (polystyrene) for insulation. As you know OSB burns with some pretty toxic byproducts, and the insulation of polystyrene is not very nice in a fire either.

Fun reading here http://vaspanel.cl/web/images/vpo.pdf

As far as rebar and other reinforcing steel for footers or concrete walls and whatnot, the construction materials patio at any Sodimac Home Center or Easy or just about any construction materials shop may be your friend. The steel mesh (like ladder mesh) you use for brick and concrete block walls is likely to be called "escalerilla." About 1200 CLP for a 5 meter length ( each length is called a "tira.") Other types of steel mesh for concrete work is called "malla." Other shapes already assembled with rebar are called "pilar" or "cadena." A typical section of "cadena" with 9.2mm rebar may be 4.5 meters long and side dimensions of 12 x 17 cm, for about 15,000 pesos. For just ribbed rebar, look for "barras de acero para hormigón" or "fierros estriados" or "fierro hormigón." Without ribs is "liso" and with ribs is "estriado."

suerte
La mitad de eficaz. El doble de caro. El triple de complicado. Un país de cuarto.

perfor8

Postby perfor8 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:48 pm

marti wrote:
perfor8 wrote:You gave away too much info! Using your terminology I found a company that makes 'em in Quilpué. Gives me hope there may be somewhere to get them farther south; if not, they'll ship 'em. I still figure I owe ya a beer. Seriously, thanks.

I'll owe you a 6 pack if you can tell me the dimensions of a panel and how much they cost...

Standard panel based on polystyrene sandwich in OSB is 1.22 x 2.44 m in metric which is 4x8 feet in christian, same as sheet of OSB. Also available in 1.22 x 4.88 which of course is 4 x 16 feet.

Depends where you buy them and your quantity, material thickness, and the type.

There are structural-insulated panels which are not the OSB sandwich type and have better fire ratings. One type is marketed as fireproof wall structural insulated panels that are available from 50mm to 150mm thick and a useful (adjusted for overlap) width of 1150m, using rockwool rather than plumavit (polystyrene) for insulation. As you know OSB burns with some pretty toxic byproducts, and the insulation of polystyrene is not very nice in a fire either.

Fun reading here http://vaspanel.cl/web/images/vpo.pdf

Perfect. Thanks, and I'm good for the beer iffen we meet.

marti

Re: here is a few quick ones

Postby marti » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:42 pm

Return to “Chile Real Estate, Property, and Construction”